3rd Eyelid Protrusion After Anesthesia
Three weeks ago my cat had a routine dental cleaning done. When I picked her up at the Vets, the 3rd eyelid in her right eye was protruding about halfway over her eye.  The Vet said it was likely because she was still coming out of the anesthesia.  Well, it's now been 3 weeks , and the 3rd eyelid is still protruding!!  The Vet is stumped;  said she's not ever seen that happen following anesthesia.  We tried a week of antibiotic/anti-inflammatory drops,  but there was no change. The cat is otherwise doing fine; eating & drinking normal, and acting well,  but still has a protruding 3rd eyelid.  I don't know if this is going to be permanent or temporary,  but was wondering if anyone else ever experienced such a thing.
No, it's very unusual. My first thought is your kitty suffered a mild stroke while under the anesthesia, causing a neurological defect. I'll ask about but this is an unusual one.
I should clarify; it's unusual as far as I can tell in this circumstance. It isn't an uncommon side effect of certain cat illnesses (like HEPPA (common cold). I suppose it could be a prolapsed eyelid, but I'm not sure why it would happen or exactly how it would be treated in this case, unless it's neurological, as mentioned above.
This exact same thing just happened with our cat.  Our vet, like yours, is completely stumped.  Did your cat's eye ever go back to normal????
BOY, would I be going off!!!  I've had cats my entire life, and I've never ever seen anything like that before.  I hope that your vet does everything in her power to try to figure this out, and FREE of charge, at that.  I would demand this of your vet. I would at least ask her to call a vet specialist to get advice.  They have specialist eye docs for pets-THIS is the very least she could do.  

Please, tell me that your vet is not charging you for this!!

Glad your kitty is doing good, though!!!
Any updates on these cats with the eyelid problem? My cat just had the exact same thing happen to him and I am wondering if it will go back to normal?????
hi, you can try clicking on cagney2712 and sending them a message to inquire. if they are still on MH they will get the message.

I will also link you up with a Vet's reply to cagney's question. hope this is of some help.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Animal-Health---General/3rd-Eyelid-Protrusion-Following-Dental/show/408716

I've also read that third eyelid protrusion can indicate there's pain, if thats the case..I would hope it should disappear real soon, was this dental surgery your kitty had and was he given pain meds?
My cat is having this issue. He got neutered and was fine. Less than 2 weeks later got his ear bit by another cat and the vet had to give him a sedative and put a drain tube in the ear flap to release infection. I visited him the same day hrs after the surgery and his third eyelid is up on the eye on the same side the ear surgery was on. I visited again today and the third eyelid is still up on that eye. Both eyes were fine when I left him for surgery. The vet said he does not see anything in the eye but is treating his eyes with some medication. He also has an ear infection and both ears are being treated with an antibiotic ointment. I think it could be some kind of nerve damage or some relation of the infected ear and the drain tube in the ear flap. It is worrisome to me but only time will tell. Once they take the drain tube out I pray it gets better.