Cats Community
6 week old kitten with head trauma -HELP

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Last night one of my cat's 6 week old kittens got hirt by my dog. I'm not sure what exactly happened but I think the dog may have stepped on him. After it happed the kitten's head swelled up and he was bleeding from his nose a little bit and walking in circles and into walls meowing. I thought I was going to have to put him down but I didnt have the heart to and after a few minutes he started to calm down. for a while he would walk into a wall and just keep pushing and meowing really loud so I got a clothes basket and lined it with blankets to keep him safe from my 2 year old daughter, other animals and himself. At first if I touched him he would hiss and freak out and meow. It was late when this happened so I made sure he was safe and warm and I went to bed hoping that the momma kitty would do what she could with him, but I wasn't getting my hopes up.
Well I got up this morning and to my surprise he was still alive, although barely. I don't think he can see and he can't walk very well and his head stays tilted off to the side. He sleeps most the time only really waking up and meowing until I go talk to him and pet him. I don't think he's able to eat from momma kitty so I mixed up some formula for him and have been trying to feed him with an eye dropper sometimes sucessfully other times not. it's been about 30 hours now and he's still alive but barely conscious.
I don't know what else to do for him, can anyone help me? Does anyone know what his chances of surviving are if he's made it this long?
I can't afford to take him to a vet and even if I could it's 75km or more away and I don't have a car.
I'm so sorry to read abt this poor little critter, IMO and from reading othr posters he does have a good chance of survival with TIME...but you will have to feed him or he'll perish fast. is there anyway you can get a kitty formula from a Vet..called KMR? he needs a formula with all the nutrients..what are you using?
could you also try and put him to mommys nipple? since he's only 6 wks old she should still have milk and could nurse him, that would be the best for him, you may need to bring mommy to him and hold him to her nipple, with a brain injury he is most likely blind(temporarily I hope) as well as very confused with surroundings...momma cat will also help him pee and poo as he will need to do this as well, but most important right now is he HAS TO EAT...formula or nurse. I can send you some info on assist feeding if he won't nurse...let me know.
its good you are keeping him isolated from kids and other pets..a safe warm spot, but he really needs his mommy to help him right now too♥
He's not awake enough to eat from his mom thats why i've been feeding hom the hpmemade formula (homogonized milk, egg yolk and veg oil). Before he got hurt he wouldn't eat cat food he was still nursing only, the other kitten is eating kitten but still nursong as well so i'm just trying to get him strong enough to eat from momma. If he's still not nursing by the time I can get to town I plan on trying to find kitten formula, but that might not be till the weekend.
I've notised one of his eyes opening more and his pupil seems to dialating a little and it also looked as though he was looking around, but didnt seem to be able to see my hand right in front of him.
Momma cat doesn't seem to be doing much other than cleaning him and helping him with the bathroom, but she is also still busy with her other kitten. I am trying to snuggle him as much as possible but my daughter also requires a lot of my attention.
ok...stop with the veg oil, don't think its necessary...do you have cream? or just the homo milk..even evaporated milk with some egg yolk.. its normal to have dilated pupils after a head injury, that should correct in a few days...most important to keep food in him...

I will send you a site that talks abt what to do when you rescue orphaned kittens it would be much the same procedure and you should fine good info there..keep us posted

http://www.hdw-inc.com/tinykitten.htm
awww heres what I wanted to find, some recipes for you if you can manage at least some of these ingredients....

http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm
Update: another night has gone by and he's still here. I woke up to him meowing and he was stuck on his back. I flipped him over and he tried to walk, fell over and then tried again. He went in corcles and it didn't last long but at least he's trying!
I picked him up to feed him and he started purring since crazy! It makes me soooo happy tp hear, he hasn't purred since before the accident.
Opus88 thanks for the info. I havent had a chance to get to my computer yet , i'm on my phone and it wont let me go to the links, but as soon as I get a chance I will check them out. Any extra minute I get i've been snuggling with the little guy.