Cats Community
9 mon. kitten

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

9 mon. kitten

my cat is about 9 months old, and he was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect. the vet said he most likely had a hole in his heart. his brother and my other cat, which might have been his father, died in the last month. the older one had always been sickly, but the younger one, my cats brother, had seemed fine. he started looking a little thin, and a few days later, we found him dead. I'm afraid my cat is going to die too, and I wanted to know if there was anything that can be done for him. Unfortuantly, I am also very low-income, so if you have any ideas that might be cheap, please let me know. thank you.
http://www.scvim.com/Downloads/2007368426.PDF

The above link is a fairly inclusive description on treatments for feline heart disease. My only concern is with a congenital defect, surgery is usually required to insure long life and avoid cardiac event.

However... anyone can live a long and healthy life with the above mentioned defect (I'm speaking generally, not knowing the specifics. And I'm no expert on the specifics, I can usualy only speak in general terms).

My advice would be to consult your vet on some of the standard heart treatments in the above pdf. to see if they would aid or hinder considering the specificity of the defect.

Be very wary of the aspirin treatment. Aspirin has strange effects on a cat's thermoregulation and can be deadly (which is why most vets will simply tell you that aspirin is poisonous to avoid the issue of improper usage in casual illness treatment).