Cats Community
Amputation

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Amputation

Beckett had his first vet appointment today. I wanted him seen ASAP because of the broken rear leg. The x-rays showed that the injury was about a month old and that it was already healed. It wasn't just a little break but the femur was actually snapped off. In order to fix it, they'd have to do a surgery that costs over $1500. Or... amputation (around $450- including pain meds).

My question is--- do we HAVE to do anything? When we found him he wouldn't walk on the leg and I thought it was a new injury. But now I am thinking that he re-injured his bad leg because yesterday and today he's been sort of walk-hopping on it. So because the leg is usable should we just leave him be? He'll walk the same whether he keeps the leg or not (a sort of hopping).

I'm fine seeing other animals with amputations. But when it comes to deciding this ourselves I feel like it's just one cruel decision to make. Any info or advice would be awesome!!!
Whoa-that is pretty expensive, but many vets will take payments.  I know I couldn't come up with that kind of money all at once.  I don't know if I'd choose to amputate or not, that would depend if the cat was in pain or not AND whether the bad leg was preventing him from getting around easily.  If he could get around better without the leg, and the expense won't put you in a bind, then I'd do it.  I have seen sooo many animals do fine with 3 legs.  In fact, they probably handle it better than we would.  Animals are true survivors.

Good luck
I've seen cats who had broken/paralyzed hind quarters get along perfectly well in the wild. I'd try to figure out if it IS a re-injury. As a house cat, he'd be in much less danger of reinjury as he would be in the wild.

I suppose the major important question is; is he in continual pain from this injury? If not, or it's manageable, then you can put off having the surgery until the situation changes.