Antibiotics for old cat with fever

My cat is 16 years old and has been really sick recently.
It started when we took her to the vet to remove a claw which was causing her a lot of discomfort. The vet gave her antibiotics as well to fight the infection. At first she seemed to be doing okay but then she lost her appetite. So we took her to the same vet and after the check-up, he said that our cat has a high fever and gave us vibravet paste for the fever. The thing is antibiotics always affects her badly, and its worse this time because she won't eat at all. My family isn't sure if giving her the paste without any food is a good idea or not. Meds always affect her badly and she's so old, we're worried that it might just be too much for her.
Her paw is still swollen following the removal of her claw (during the first visit, the vet removed it and cleaned the paw). He said that it might be cancer since her whole paw is swollen but that will have to wait till after her fever dies down.

So i guess my question is: is it okay to just give vibravet without any food? Especially to an old cat that doesn't do well with meds?
hi, I'm so sorry to be reading about your kitty....16 is a lovely age but your not ready to let her go just yet..

first of all whether on a medication or not you cannot let a cat not eat....48 hrs of not eating is all it takes for a cats organs to start to fail and sometimes that is not reversible.
You will need to get the Vet clinic to show you how to assist feed her until she feels well enough to eat on her own. Or the Vet must put her on IV's.

when you are giving her soft foods from a dropper you can also safely give her the medication at the same time.

good luck to you both♥
Hi Colleen,

I'm also sorry to hear about your precious 16 year old kitty. The advice that
Opus88 has given you is very good.  I wish you the best of luck with your
kitty.  Eve :) ( mother of 8 year old Sammy)
My 3 year old, MewMew, just came home from the hospital after being sick with an infection of an unknown type.  The hospital had to put her on water IV's and feed her with a dropper because she would not eat.  If a kitty does not eat in a day, organ failure sometimes is not reversable and I let the experts see what they could do with her....

It took about 3 days for the antibiotic to kick in and then slowly, ever so slowly my MewMew started acting more normal and was allowed to come home.  

The vets at the hospital told me that a kitty will not eat when their stomachs are upset, either from medicine or from an illness...I keep a couple of cans of tuna in the cupboard to stimulate her appetite and she comes running when I turn on the can opener and she thinks that all cans in the cupboard are now hers...

Its been a few days since you posted and I do hope that all is well....

M
Hi everyone, thank you so much for replying to my question.
Its been a tough one week....my kitty has just come back from the hospital and while, she does seem slightly better (fever is gone), she's still pretty weak. She's been diagnosed with feline aids. I don't quite know how long she'll hang in there (she still doesn't want to eat) but my family and I are trying to keep her as comfortable as possible.

I'm sorry for the late reply and thank you so much for the support!
I wanted to say that I'm glad MewMew is now okay and thinks all the cans are hers but I forgot.

Really thank you for the help.