Balding Senior Cat
My 18 year old female shorthair has a multitude of age related issues. When she was younger she was prone to UTIs and was on a special diet which helped a lot. Then she developed allergies and started losing hair and getting scabby. Shots of cortisone cleared it up, but eventually we changed over to a hypoallergenic food and her skin cleared up completely. (Btw: She is treated for fleas on a regular basis). As she aged, we encountered the inevitable issues most older cats face: hyperthyroidism, high blood pressure, and very early stages of renal disease. She's on meds for the first two issues, and we switched from hypoallergenic diet to renal diet food. She's been steady and consistent with those three issues, which is great.

So, my problem is that she is once again licking off her fur. Why no pet food producer makes a hypoallergenic/ renal diet food is beyond me. My vet and I are not comfortable giving her cortisone anymore. In fact she is mostly unvaccinated due to her age (she's 100% indoor and an only cat). Does anyone know of a way to get her to stop licking off her fur? It's isolated to her lower back and stops at her tail. She is not scabby, just pretty bald. Is there anything I can rub on her to discourage the licking?

Thanks for any replies!
hi...my goodness your girl sure has lived a long and loved life...good for you for taking such good care of her all these years. I'm afraid there is really nothing SAFE that you can rub on her to discourage the licking....of course anything you put on her will be ingested...so you wouldn't want to do any oils or such. It could be of course the diet...if its chicken try changing to another protein source, and also see if there is a renal diet that has NO carbs...since its chicken or carbs that usually cause the skin itching....I am assuming it IS CANNED right? be sure to feed canned, not dry.
You can sure try adding some Omega 3's to her diet, these really help with skin issues too.
good luck to you both and I sure hope you find something that will help your girl ♥