My cat came in yesterday morning with a swollen leg. He is not walking on it and it is huge. I have checked for a stinger and found nothing. Is it ok to give him Children's Benadryl? How long does the swelling last? He is having a hard time getting comfortable.
I don't know, highervibration, I personally would not give human medicine to a cat unless the vet tells me so, and even so I'd still question that. You may be able to give human meds-not all kinds- to a dog, but a feline body is different and is not tolerant of certain things and certain dosis. My best advice is to take the cat to a vet, if possible, to an emergency hospital ASAP. A possible allergic reaction to the venom deposited by the insect is the most serious problem that can arise. The cat may go into shock. Here are some tips you could take benefit from. I took them from a cat magazine I get online. Even after reading this, I highly recommend that you take kitty to a vet. Well, here goes:
Step 1: Approach the cat carefully. If your cat is nervous or anxious, restrain the cat if necessary.
Step 2: Do not pinch the affected area. If the cat is stung by a bee, scrape the stinger off immediately with a credit card or dull knife.
Step 3: If the stung area is swollen and hot, apply cortisone cream and hold ice on skin for a short time.
Step 4: Administer antihistamine such as diphenhydramine orally at a dose of 1/2 mg per pound of body weight (e.g., a 10 pound cat would get 5 mg of liquid diphenhydramine). BUT FIRST CONSULT YOUR VET. DON'T ASSUME THIS DOSIS WILL FIT YOUR CAT.
Step 4a: If an assistant is available, have him place both hands around the cat's shoulders and gently but firmly push the cat down on the table so it cannot use its front paws to scratch.
Step 4b: If the cat is somewhat aggressive, have an assistant wrap the entire cat, except the head, in a large towel.
Step 4c: Gently hold the cat's mouth shut and tip its head up slightly.
Step 4d: Using a plastic eyedropper or dose syringe inserted into the corner of the cat's mouth, place the fluid into the mouth a little at a time, allowing each small amount to be swallowed before giving more.
Step 4e: Gently rub the cat's throat to stimulate swallowing.
Step 5: If any difficulty in breathing occurs or the face seems swollen, transport the cat to a veterinarian immediately.
Let's not assume bee sting. Is the whole leg swollen or just part? Is the foot and/or ankle swollen? Is your cat licking or paying special attention to a specific site on the leg? Is there any wound or mark, even a scratch on the swollen leg?
It could very likely be an infection, or, since he's putting no weight on it at all, it could be broken. Either would account for swelling. I don't actually believe that bee-sting reaction is the most likely diagnosis for this (it wouldn't just swell like that, you'd be seeing respiratory distress, welts and/or the cat would be licking or biting at the site of the sting), but I can't tell more without details.
I really think that you should take kitty to the vet ASAP, ok?
Just so you know, Benadryl is commonly prescribed by vets for cats with allergies. But you don't want to give it to your cat without knowing if he needs it or what dose to give.
Also, FYI, don't ever give a cat any medication with aspirin in it. You probably shouldn't fool around with human medication for your cat without consulting a vet first, but definitely never aspirin, it's very dangerous for them.
His foot and ankle are fine, just his front leg up to below his sholder. He is cranky and growling at his litter mate. He lets us touch and hold his leg. He is growling at his litter mate but otherwise ok. I will call the vet first thing in the morning.
His leg was infected. I took him to the vet the next day, and now we are starting on the second dose of antibiotics. The day it decided to "drain" was the same day of my son birthday... and I completely underestimated the gross factor! The vet said that if it dosn't get better we may have to cut his leg open and look for a tooth or something stuck in there.
I'm glad we went to the vet. I knew he wasn't feeling well, and he had a temp of 103! Poor little guy. Thank you for all your help and advise.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.