I took my 17 yr old cat to vet and they were unable to take blood to find the problem. I would like help on how to take care of her at home. The vet gave me .25 predinsone and Vititan B6 to treat possible stroke. She suddenly when blind 3 days ago and lost her hearing yesterday. She is drinking but not eating well know. she still gets around the house well and still uses the litter box. She walks well no limbing ect like i here stroke victims have. The only vet nearby is gone till Jan 3rd. They were unable to draw blood because she became to stressed. She has thriod problems which i was told was better left untreated due to her stress of taking medicine. She was also exposed to high levels of Carbon minoxide. She in last 48 hours has quit eating much yet is still drinking water. How can i help her until the vet gets back and are the signs anything other than stroke.
I am so sorry you are going through this with your kitty!
Until you are able to get her to the vet, you are going to need to make sure she keeps eating, even if you have to force feed her. She needs to maintain her strength, but with cats, if they stop eating, they are prone to developing feline hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver disease. Some cats can go without eating for quite a long time without developing this, others develop it after not eating for as little as three days. They don't all develop it, but it's not worth the risk to find out, so even if you have to pump a meat-based baby food into a syringe and squeeze it into the corner of her mouth to get her to eat, you need to do so to keep her healthy until she can see her regular vet.
Blindness and deafness can be associated with a stroke, but it's odd that there are no motor skills affected at all. I don't want to scare you, but it's possible there is some sort of mass growing that could be pressing on nerves and affecting the sight and hearing. Nothing can be said for sure until diagnostics are run, so it's really a shame that there is no vet that can work with her available for such a long time. Is there nobody in a neighboring town that you could call? Who is covering for your own vet while s/he is away? I can't imagine any reputable vet would take off for such a prolonged period of time without making arrangements for their patients. If that's the case, you need to look for another vet anyway, because this one doesn't sound very responsible.
How in the world did your cat get exposed to carbon monoxide??? I just did a quick yahoo search on symptoms of it, which took a total of only 2 minutes, which confirmed what I suspected that CO poisoning causes blindness and deafness. It said sometimes it's reversible.
As for leaving the hyperthyroid untreated, this can be very dangerous and I don't know what vet in their right mind would agree to that! And, once again, a very quick and easy yahoo search of untreated hyperthyroid disease can lead to heart failure, kidney failure, and high blood pressure. By the way, high blood pressure can also lead to blindness if it's high enough. This condition left untreated puts so much strain on the heart-the heart rate increases big time and this can cause the heart to fail.
Whether kitty gets PO'd or not over a pill, your cat's body will be a lot more stressed by NOT treating it. Of course cats hate getting pills, but they will get over it and will feel so much better.
I'm not a vet, but I'm going to bet that you'll see a huge improvement once you get the thyroid condition under control. I'm also going to guess that the blindness and hearing is not caused by a stroke, because there is no weakness in the legs! Let's hope that it's only temporary!
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.