Bringing my outdoor kitty in
Hi All

My 5 month Kitty which had been outdoor most of his life is now spayed & had all his vaccinations and is going to be an indoor cat. His 1st hour he was happy as can be now he seems confussed and is crying at the door. Will he just need some time to get used to being inside? It is brutally cold out this winter and he is so much better off indoors. Any ideas or suggestions on how to make this an easy transition for him?
He had been in a night here or there but never for 24 hrs straight.

oh this is a good decision you have made however will not be easy for you or the kitty...when they have a taste of being free running they will not easily change.
I have only done that totally with one, a himalayan I got at a year old. all my cats do go outside however they go out with me in the backyard and do not attempt to jump my fence....however this one did jump therefore still goes outside with me but is now on a leash, he took to this rather easily because he loves the outdoors soooo much and soon understood to go out he first needed his harness and leash...this has been 4 years now...cats do adapt.
I wouldn't want to keep any kitty totally inside, the outdoors are so healthy for them. but nor do I want to see a kitty just let to run either.
good lluck, let us know how you make out
He did better the rest of the afternoon he rather likes it inside. There is a Ferell outside who has lived out there for about 3+ yrs who I feed. She now is sleeping in the house i had gotten for my kitty. This morning when I went out to feed her he went to the door like hey I should be out there but after i came back in he didnt seem to care about going to the door he came in and played with his toys. I dont know where you are located but its been brutually cold in NY and Kit did just have an URI prob bc he was outside and is a Kitty still. He is just about 5 months. Very domesticated and too many Tom cats were hanging around outside when he was out there. They are like 3 times his size. I have no idea what these people are feeding their cats they are huge!
He also might have worms as his stool is very loose. he had his 1st round of treatment a few days agoo and gets another next week. That is something the vet thinks he caught from being outside. When he was outside he was always wanting to be inside sitting at my door. I would sneak him in for a few hrs here & there but never for 24hrs in a row. He prob just needs time to get used to his new home. He did really good last night and so far todya he is having fun exploring and playign with his toys. A bit nervous about tomorrow when im at work but, im sure he will be ok.
oh for sure kitties do adjust and if its a choice between between the two than by all means I too would choose indoors...good for you taking this little one in.
I am in Western Canada and our normally bitterly cold Jan. is turning mild...guess everyone else like you in NY are getting our weather...I agree its not fit for any animal to be out in harsh weather...so I'm sure she'll enjoy the warmth.
best to you