Buprenorphine and darbepoietin
My 13 yr old male cat has CKF, advanced stage, is anemic and I was readying to inject him with Darbepoietin, (0,2 microliters) agreed with my vet. Tonight he seemed to be in pain , restless, heavy breathing (had been previously diagnosed with kidney stone, but had no longer shown symptoms recently) and I injected him with 0,15 ml Buprenorphine. Seems quieter now, breathing almost normally. The dosage my vet had prepared was 0,3, but my cat has lost weight in the meantime, so I injected half the syringe only.
How long should I wait for the Darbepoietin  injection? Are these two drugs compatible?
I will not be able to see a vet before Monday,especially since where I live very few are familiar with Darbepoietin in cats.
we are only pet parents on this site, I urge you to call the clinic that treats your kitty and speak to a Vet abt this, there is always someone on call or an emergency phone number to contact.

meanwhile I will give you two sites that maybe able to give you some info. I sure hope she will do ok..good luck:))

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm

http://www.felinecrf.com/meds0.htm
was it not your Vet who prescribed the 2 medications for your kitty? if so the 2 must be compatible(?) this they would have to answer.

I don't know what your kitty weighs? recently one of mine had dental surgery he weighs 11.5 lbs (5kg) and he was prescribed 0.2mls 2x a day. however that is a high dose even at that.

please consult a Vet asap regarding the new symptoms your kitty is showing
sorry forgot to add the 0.2mls prescribed was for the buprenorphine....too strong a dose will really zonk them out so best to err on the low side. good luck.
Thks for answering so promptly. I have been unable to reach my vet over the  week end. As for Darbepoetin, it s not a common protocol, but managed to speak to someone at a University Vet Hospital  last night, so superseded till then.
Bupronerphine was indeed prescribed for my kitty, but that was two months ago, and he wighed almost the double then. So I decided to give him a half dose, he seemed releived and breathing  normally after that, but I wouldn t venture into giving a new medication ( Darbep.is a hormone) without being totally sure it would be harmless to combine the 2. Which was confirmed  last night.
I had the impression some vets comment on this page, was I wrong then?

Thank you all for your help, and loving hugs to your pets....
I forgot to say that Tanya s page is where I d actually read about the Darbopietin treatment, my usual vet didn t know about it! So I looked up one that was familiar with this treatment, which is quite expensive...Am now waiting for results, so far little has happened... He eats some more and is in no pain, but as an anemic cat would, moves very little and sleeps a lot...My cat also has a mild heart condition, but anemia will definetely worsen it.

Wonder if any of you have ever used Magnesium for heart conditions in cats  ? My vets are conservative in theor approach, and consultations are limited in time... so I d rather ask you on the Forum before putting my question to him...
My cardiologist advised me to take Magnesium when I was very anemic... thank you for a prompt reply