Can Your Allergy To Cats Start Later in Life?
I have had cats my whole life and they usually have slept in my bed at one time or the other. Since losing my beloved cat in Hurricane Dennis I haven't had another cat in 3years. I had my appendix removed last August. I mentioned that because of the mystery purpose of the appendix in the human body. I recently acquired a new 7wk old kitten and for the first week I had it,I showed no signs of an allergy. I woke up a few nights ago itching terribly and had hives all over my buttocks and on my forehead. When I awoke it had also cause my eyes to be puffy to the point I couldn't barely see. I went to the emergency room where they put an IV in my arm to give me some steroid meds and also liquid Benedryl. Well,upon returning to my house I woke up this morning with my jaw swollen and lips very swollen,but not hives anywhere else on my body. I was wondering about the kitten possibly given me these allergic symptons and is is possible to become allergic to cats so late in life and I have never had any other allergies before?
Commonly, people start with allergies and either grow out of them (hence, childhood allergies) or keep them for life.

However, it isn't uncommon for people to develop allergies later in life. One explanation is as you get older, your system works less efficiently, suffers small breakdowns, and allergies develop.
There is also the possibility that due to air quality and pollen counts (both seem to get worse every year), you may be having a reaction where you didn't before.

Also, it's commonly said that you develop allergic resistance to your own pet. After some months or so, your body will build up an immunity. (My wife swears by this, I remain somewhat skeptical).
I've recently been to an allergist because of newly acquired allergies. I'm 43. I developed an allergy to cats in my 20s after having cats since I was a child. I got a new kitten and found that her saliva gave me hives. Since then I've always had a mild cat allergy. I was tested and found allergic to cats and dogs and a mild reaction to milk. Everything else was negative.

A couple of years ago I was getting really stuffed up so I went to an allergist and I'm now also allergic to trees and grass but my cat allergy has lessened. My allergist said it's very common to develop new allergies later in life. She also said that yes, you can build up an immunity to your own cats. I'm fine with my cats but my friends cat gives me the worst reactions I've ever had. The cat also hates me and is the only cat who's ever reacted that way towards me. I just think he's evil.

but to sum up, yes you can develop late onset allergies and yes you can build an immunity to your own cats.

sorry...I didn't read your whole posting before responding. If you had the kitten for a whole week before you showed such a violent reaction then I highly doubt that the kitten is the cause. If you were that highly allergic to it you should've reacted right away. I suggest getting allergy tests done asap.
Canuckchick...you have stumbled on one of life's rare mysteries...the evil cat. Beware! :)

I went in and got tested a decade or so ago and it turned out I had an allergic reaction to everything...except pigs.

Now I'm sure pigs make wonderful pets, but I couldn't see myself owning a porker.  so I got "THE SHOTS".
Y'know, that series of awful, painful shots you get for about six months that build up your immunities?

I hope to never have to repeat it again, but I have to say, it was worth it.
thanks for the replies..and I have brought Angel back home. I am going to keep my distance just for a while and let my daughter sleep with it...the hives I have acquired are quite painful and never seem to go away until I take the trip to the ER and get the three shots. I am seeing and Allergist tomorrow and hope to get better news.
I had to give the kitten back to the previous owner and the hives temporarily disappeared. I hope that it was the source even though I didn't want to give the kitten back. I had long eight days of continuing hives. It was a nightmare that I thought was never going to end. I had to get shots every day just to operate,not even work,but just to do normal daily routines. I still havent gotten the official word on what I had the hives from,but they had disappeared and hopefully are gone. I see an allergist tomorrow morning and hopefully will get a certain answer as to what I was allergic to.
I completely understand the nightmare of having hives that are painful, itchy and even burning. I have had an outbreak of hives for the last 7+ months and have FINALLY gotten scheduled to see an allergist in 2 days. The dermatologists haven't been able to figure this out.....but 8 days in nothing compared to almost 8 MONTHS. I am HOPING it is not my cat....but I can't imagine that I would develop an allergy to a cat that I have had for over 4 years and other cats for more than 30 years.  My heart goes out to you for having to give up the little bundle of fur. Good luck with your search for answers!!!