Can cat with URI remain contagious after treatment ?
When my friend adopted her cat from a shelter she was told that this cat had been treated for URI and was no longer contagious even though she continued to have trouble breathing (making noises). Then my friend adopted another cat and this second cat did not get sick although there was a time when he would not eat for a few days. Then my friend and her cats moved in with me about 2 years ago and 6 of my 7 cats got sick with URI. One of them also had a heart defect and died but the others recovered after a week or two. My cats had not been vaccinated because I had been told that indoor cats were not at risk and we lived in a third-floor apartment in a complex where all cats were required to stay indoor. The only one of my cats that did not get sick was the one with FIV.

My friend and her cats moved out a few months later but now we're thinking about moving into a house together. I still don't know if my cats actually got the URI from hers 2 years ago and now I'm worried that we're going to have the same problem again especially since my FIV+ cat did not get it the first time. I've read on UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program's web site that vaccination doesn't really prevent a cat from getting URI and can at best help to reduce the severity and duration of the illness. I've also been told by another friend that vaccination may be bad for my FIV+ cat. So at this point I don't know what to do and any advice will be appreciated.
gee I don't know either what to suggest nor do I know anything abt URI?
the first vaccinations are absolutely necessary even for indoor cats than needed to be repeated every 3-5 years!
I would suggest you post your question over on the ASK A VET FORUM...
go to the right of this screen and you'll see 'related expert forums' you can get some much better advice there.
good luck and let us know how you make out
" would be a very good idea if you did have your kitties all vaccinated now! and have a good check over by a Vet as well at the same time...."
Thanks for your suggestion. I've done what you said and hopefully will get some answers soon.