Cats Community
Cat Ear Hematoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cat Ear Hematoma

Hi, Thank you in advance for your answer. I have a kity with a Hematoma in ear. It is full. Been drained 2 times in 2 weeks. I cant afford surgery as it is over $1,ooo. I was wondering if it will heal on its own. He is on Clavamox due to the second draining to prevent infection. Also had one round of prednisone and the vet wants to do a longer Prednisone tx now. My concern is how long before it will start to go down or resolve on its own. Please advise....Lori

i found a couple of sites with info for you. have ear mites been ruled out by your Vet?
Has your Vet warned you abt the health effects of prednisone treatment? has he talked to you abt doing a needle aspiration, if the underlying cause can be eliminated than perhaps an aspiration could take the fluid down and perhaps a chance of it not recurring(?)

http://www.petplace.com/cats/aural-hematoma-in-cats/page1.aspx

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1336&aid=1563
Thanks for your comments. I hate the idea of steroids. He was at a fancy clinic 2 times . Im sort of just leaning towards just letting it heal on its own. I am hesitaing on the steroids....but he is on Clavamox.  it was ear mites and resolved with Revolution. Will this heal on its own
well now that your sure he's rid of the ear mites....maybe look into getting the hematoma needle aspirated...its a blood/fluid filled sack, this would remove the fluid quickly and AS LONG AS THE MITES and eggs are all killed the hematoma shouldn't return....safer than steroids!!!! sounds like it sometimes will resolve on its own but could take a long time to drain naturally...
good luck.
Thanks...I had it drained twice and it filled up as soon as i got home. I have one more round of revolution in a couple weeks. I have 12 cats and I think the new one I rescued 2 mths ago brought in the mites even though she was given a clean bill. But the vet is pushing for surgery.....but i am going to leave the ear alone and see what happens. Was wondering if anyone on this site had any ebcouraging words. Im such a worry wort. I agree about steroids, they really make me nervous. I just dont trust vets to much....bad experiences over the years.That why I spend hrs doing my own research. Argh....
It can take a few weeks even longer that is what my vet told me. He may even have this for the rest of his life he said. It seems like your kitty is bothered by his-have they checked for ear mites? That was what was wrong with beener.
Is he scratching at it? Having a hard time walking? That was what my Vet seemed most concerned about.
yes she did say earlier in the post it was ear mites and revolution was used.....did Beener's hematoma improve after treatment?
How long did the vet say it would take to go down and resolve? What did he mean by he could always have it? Rudy is walking ok. Just very filled and looking sad.I hate this....How is your kitty doing? How long has he had it now?
He is not scratching it. Only shakes once in a while. He seems to avoid the ear at all costs. I have read so many places that it can heal and maybe not. Im confused. But keep searching for people who have had this resolve or not. its very heart renching to watch.
Beener is 17yrs old so they took a more cautious approach with him. The Vet looked in his ears and saw the mites. He was given treatment on the spot but not with revolutionary-we have used that in the past and they still came back. Id say Beener's ear is about 50% swollen. The vet said it may get worse before it gets better and/or he may have this for the duration of his life. Beener's isn't bothering him. I think your kitty was a lil bothered. Beener has been fine. He doesn't shake his head as much or scratch like he did. What ever the vet gave him it did the trick! He said that it usually only took one tube for each ear and they don't come back. Ill try and find out what it was. We just monitor beener's gait and for s/sx of infection and he hasn't had any temps or anything. Beener doesn't like me looking at his ear and puts his head down-Im sure its tender. Hope your baby  feels better soon.
I cant imagine this could stay for ever? That is good to know that Rudy will get better. They have him on steroids but Im not giving them.
BTW, I do so appreciate your input. It is soooo helpful to know what to expect. My vets just make me feel guilty for not doing surgery. Is beener esr getting wierd colors like blue? Is it hanging down?
Miss Chessie had a tumor like this in her right ear, which from the dark gunk formation we thought was mites...we treated her for such for a few months.

After our vet back in Illinois removed it and thoroughly cleaned her ear (including using styptic powder to stem the bleeding) she has not had a re-occurrence.  So, this is something from which kitty can heal well.
Thank you for your help. m waiting anxiously for this to heal... can you believe this but my dog has one now to.
Yes Beener's ear is flopped over still. :(
Still has fluid in it? How long has it been now? Im trying the chinese yunnan beiyo as a paste on Rudys, one of the members here used it on her cat and it went down in 2 weeks completly and never came back.
Its been a lil over 3 weeks. Today it looks like its gone down more. Im assuming its blood filled. Beener never had any drainage from it-the Vet left it alone. He is a black cat so its hard to post a pic of it.
Oh ...ok. So Rudy is 2 weeks and 5 days. So he is about a week behind Beener.Rudy started to clean that ear uesterday and i jumped for joy. He was able to flop it around and I think it has gone doen by maybe 10%.They are blood filled. I should never have drained it twice. I started putting that chinese paste on it. So lets keep in touch and see how these 2 progress. Should be interesting. I have a dog who has one now. Just will leave it.
good I hope Rudy continues to improve.....as far as your dog having one now also, be sure to treat his ear mites as well...if one had ear mites they most likely both had, these could re-transmit themselves back to Rudy once again also....
Yes, but the dogs don't come in. I have no room for them.they play outside and rough house,so Im thinking his came from that. But Im ordering 16 rounds of revolution soon and will give everyone a dose. I still have to catch my feral cat. Going to try a fishing net, my house vet suggested that. She is really is really fast ,impossible to catch. Once I get the feral,I will be a month behind, but will do the revolution again. It is a bit tricky with the 2 ferals. It is not to cold here in the winter, around 60 during the day. the dogs have there warm houses. Im alone and it gets hard at times.I have 3 seperate back yards. The cats have a large backyard with bird of prey netting on top and snake screen around the bottom.. I had my maincoon kitty bit by a rattlesnake that somehow got in 3 months ago. Thank God I was home and got him to the vet in time.. $2,000 later for treatment. He is fine. The dogs were dumped on me and I did not have the heart to take them to the pound. High kill rate here. The pit bull was a rescue and she cant be with the other dogs. Anyway...I cant wait for Rudys ear to be normal again. Prob be a cauliflower ear.
flea control can be a huge problem esp when dealing with outdoor pets and ferals....its so important to treat the area as well b/c of the reinfestation when the eggs hatch. I will send you an article that talks abt control and also mentions Food Grade..DIATOMACEOUS EARTH that many treat the house and outdoor areas with....just sprinkle when using a mask(an no pets present) because it can be very harmful if inhaled.....but otherwise safe as long as you buy the FOOD GRADE, as shown here.

http://www.amazon.com/Grade-Diatomaceous-Earth-Natures-Wisdom/dp/B003QJBVH8/ref=pd_sim_bt_2/186-4286552-5962927

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/diseasesall/a/befreeoffleas_3.htm
You must be like me. I have researched th DE and used it in the house. Have it around the litter box's,etc. I also thought I had ear mites a yr ago and used the DE on the cats ears,just a very little every day for 30 days and it cleared there ears. My feral's are indoor. I got the semi feral and was able to put revolution on her. I had a vet tech who used to help me, but she just dropped coming and I waited and called her for over a week to come and help me with the Siamese feral, but no show. I will get her with a net.The dogs,I am going to dust there area outside and them with DE.Rudys ear is going down,as soon as I started to use the Chinese herb paste. Its deflating.I see you are Canadian..ME too. Im from Ontario,Oakville.I have been in Tucson 8 yrs and cant wait to move to BC.
Hi, How is beener's ear coming along.? Been a week since we spoke. Rudy's is still big but the fullness seems to be getting less full looking. The ear edges are curling. Been 30 days now. I was hoping it would all be gone by now.
My 10 yeahingr old cat [Luke] had surgery for a hematoma in his right ear three weeks  ago...  now has another one even larger same ear.has anyone else heard or gone though this....
poor Luke, I myself don't know much abt this, I hope bkitty will tell us how Beeners ear is recently...
you need to find the underlying cause...usually miles, have these been treated? by reading the previous posts it appears it can recur following surgery..here are a couple sites I've found..

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/wsava/2011/116.pdf

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/sevc/2008/rosy1.pdf
my cat felix has hemoglobin ,been using revolution for a year now had surgury less then year $500 cant afford will it heal by self ,or is there something he can use for home remedy
My cat has a hematoma on his ear. He has had it for a while. It is not going away any time soon. It really doesn't seem to bother him. Because of his age (18) the vet said there isn't anything that can be done. he was treated for ear mites and hasn't had any issues anymore.
Sounds like it was a Hemangioma. Different than a Hematoma.
My cat Chili had it in one ear about 6 months ago. I opted to have it surgically drained since I was concerned about the cause. The vet ruled out ear mites which was good news. However, after surgery, I had to go back at least twice because the ear keeps filling up. I felt for Chili but I opted to let it heal naturally when it filled up again the 3rd time. it took about a month to heal but I think it was the best decision - the affected ear still had a cauliflower look in spite of the surgery, but I did not want him to be constantly stressed with the going back and firth to the vet. Chili's other ear now has the same condition, I am now opting not to have it surgically drained anymore but will let it heal naturally.
My cat just had one start about 3 days ago. looked he might have gotten bitten. I try to keep his ears clean. can't afford vet, can I drain it myself? I hope someone can help.
Please do not attempt to drain on yr own NO, aside from being extremely painful it could also cause the condition to become worse, has she been checked for ear mites?
Hi Underleaf,

I definitely agree with Opus--Do Not try draining this yourself. It is not something anyone other than a vet should be doing. Infection is a strong possibility when it is done by someone other than a professional.

Perhaps you can just call your vet and ask what they you might be able to do at home to speed the healing process.

Please let us know what the vet says and how the little guy is making out.

......and please do not allow him outside until this heals. Perhaps he should just be an indoor cat if he is at risk of being bitten.

Good luck to you both,
CML
SweetChili (or others please) any updates on how Chili's ear healed on it's own? Pebbles has one and drained once and we want to let it heal on it's own.  I am reading too many have the same outcome whether they have surgery or not.  thank you! Pebbles meowmy.
I have 3 cats that have had them, and another that formed one today, (all these cats are from the same litter, I believe my issue is hereditary for my babies) I've let all heal on their own. They are left with "cauliflower ear" where their ear looks crumpled up, but no loss of hearing or any other issues. Its been a many number of years since any of my cats had them, i was considering draining the one that formed today myself (have steril equpitment to do so) and reading up, but deciding on letting it just heal on its own. The worst part of it all is seeing her in pain :(  

The one thing I noticed the last time one of mine had this was that if I massage the ear as its healing & the fluid is being reabsorbed into the body, the "cauliflower ear" didn't seem to be as bad, so at least once a day if not more I massaged the ear to help the fluid go down. I hope Pebbles heals well, regardless of what you choose!  :)
I really appreciate the feedback!  thank you!  Pebbles is still with her bubble and I will take your advice and massage her ear. I am patiently waiting for the bubble to start going down, I think it was still working on getting larger, hopefully it will soon.  If you have time to reply as I know it's busy busy..... I'd like your thoughts on massage now while it's a full bubble, or wait until I know it starting to go down for sure?  How long did you see it take for most of them?  I especially appreciate your long term outcome feedback!   It seems draining doesn't really work anyway, since most say it comes back and Pebbles did too.
Aunlismom (and others),  Pebbles is healed up now.  Her bubble has been gone for a couple weeks.  (she healed in less than a month!).  I rubbed her bubble ear very often as you suggested and think it probably is why it is not crumbled much but "curled" gently over.  Thank you for this idea and I suggest it to others.  I am glad we did not put her through surgery.  She seems just fine.  Pebbles is part Siamese and part Scottish Fold now!  This hematoma thing is ugly and hope others get through it ok.  Pebbles didn't have any mites or anything so not quite sure what caused it  The first sign was a very small fold on the tip of her ear that made me suspicious.  Who'd ever know it would turn in to this ugly hematoma thing. Not sure we could have done anything to prevent it from turning. I am thinking someday vets may find a way to correct the broken vessel before it goes bubble!
Hi Pebbles5. Did your cat's hematoma grow big? I came home today and noticed that my cat's right ear is a bit tilting down. I checked it and found out that there seems a lump inside his ear. And based on my reaearch here, I think it's hematoma. It's still small but I'm so worried right now and can't wait to see the vet tomorrow. :(
sounds like a hematoma!  Pebbles started with a tiny fold on the tip before the bubble.  You could have missed this as I just watched it though I though it odd.  Then the 2nd tiny fold and the larger fold developed and then noted the bubble (as you are now).  Vet drained it while small.  Only my advice,  but I did TONS of internet research (google both surgery / no surgery  to get all views: "hematoma surgery, is it necessary?" so you can get the feedback on NOT having surgery and also plain "hematoma in cats" to hear from those who say surgery is a must.  I got feedback from groups such as this and also vets.  Some vets stopped doing the surgery since result is same without.  In summary: the opinions seem to be that not having surgery or having surgery can cause the same results!  Many had the surgery and the bubble came right back! Then they left it.  Some got the surgery and the ear was fine but still distorted like Pebbles.  Some will say no surgery is cruel and some say that owners get surgery because they freak out and can't handle watching the bubble get larger and then wait for it to disappear.  My thoughts were based on I read the outcome will not cause any hearing loss or unbalance of cat and just cosmetic. I also thought if she is in some pain (which I read is early in the bubble formation) she will also be in pain with surgery.  Then the stitches have to come out again.  (Pebbles bubble didn't get nearly as huge as some photos where it covers entire ear).  I rubbed it as the post from this sight suggests.  I really it think it may have helped but can't be certain.  Hers did heal within  month.  You can also "watch" the surgery if you google it to help you decide!  They tuft the ear close after draining with several quilt like stitches.  I personally suggest leaving it. We drained once and hoped it would go but came right back.  This can cause infection. Many that said they drained a 2nd time wished they did not since complications. It's hard to watch kitty go through it but so will surgery be. the vet visit can assist to determine no mites.  (Pebbles was clean). You have to be strong to NOT have surgery because we feel judged by our vet!  Of course your vet may agree with natural healing... who knows.  I'd love to hear your feedback through this. I feel draining & surgery opens room for infection.  If no infection exists why look for one. We were fortunate.  Before this I never even heard of a hematoma!  I googled "fold in cat ear" LOL!
Franklin, Others:

Pebbles picture with healed hematoma (droopy ear)  can be viewed on my profile page if you click my name.  My pretty girl is ok with her new "look".
Hello, just wondering how long it took pebbles ear to heal? Me and my husband decided not to do surgery after doing much research. It's only been a little over a week. It seems to have gotten a tad bigger but not as big as some other cats researched. The vet said she doesn't have an ear infection so that's a bonus. We are just waiting it out and hoping poor Dolly's ear heals up quick.
Sorry didn't see that you said around a month. I haven't read anything about massaging the ear before. I'm scared I will hurt her.