Cats Community
Cat Suddenly Cant Walk or Meow

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cat Suddenly Cant Walk or Meow

I have a 19 year old cat, who is surprisingly healthy for her age.  19 years she was walking, then one day I noticed her dragging herself across the room.  I brought her to the vet and bloodwork and x-rays came back fine.  They suspect she has some pain in her back based on them feeling around.  She was re-hydrated, since she doesnt even have the strength to go to the food/water bowls.  She is currently on pain medicine.  I now have to lay food on a paper towel by her so she can eat.  I give her water, although sometimes she can drink some from the flat plate I put some water on.  She has trouble holding her head up.  I just dont know what can be wrong....the vet is suggesting ultrasounds, MRI's, neurologists, etc.  I want to at least narrow down the possibilities and just help her get better.  Anyone have any ideas?
Tags: cat, meow
Good morning to you...wow, it sure sounds like your 19 year old cat is having a great life with you and I am so sorry to hear that she is not doing well right now.

There are several conditions that can cause these symptoms.   My advice is to speak with your veterinarian in a little more detail about his/her thoughts on your kitty's prognosis and differential diagnoses.   In all likelihood, it may take several rounds of diagnostics beyond what you have already done in order to get a clear picture of what is happening with her.

Also, post this question in the Ask a Vet expert section here at MedHelp.   We have more than 30 veterinarians who have voluteered to take these type of questions and they might have some ideas for you as well.

Good luck...let us know what you find out!
You are lucky she is eating and drinking. Make sure to keep feeding her so she does not get weaker.  Maybe it's just a viral infection that will clear with rest and time?
Oh, I didn't see that she cant walk or meow.  My 16 yr old cat had vestibular disease, all labs were fine, x rays fine, etc.  She could not walk, she'd lose her balance.  She also kept her head tilted one way (because of dizzyness).  Vets thought it was a brain or spinal tumor.  I had an MRI with contrast done on her brain and they diagnosed vestibular disease.  It cost thousands but they wanted to put her down before I had the MRI test done.  Now she's nearly 18 and no problems.  I'm glad I paid the money to know that putting her down would have been cutting her life short.
i wrote in the forum "my cat is listing to the right"just this week. Could you read the symptoms i put in there and see if it sounds familiar? I found vestibular disease online right before i took my cat to the second vet. He gave me antibiotics for an inner eaar infection. I asked the vet if Rudy might have vestibular disease and he said, yes that is basically what an deep inner ear infection is. I was under the assumption(research online) that Vestibular disease pretty much cures itself after a couple of weeks. Im just hoping that its one or the other....that way im covered! My cat seems to be less stumbley after 2 doses of meds but that might just be wishful thinking on my part. His eyes are definetly more aware. How long did it take your kitty to show any signs of coming around? im so worried about my guy.   thanks for your time       shawna