Cats Community
Cat behavior changes, dilated pupils

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cat behavior changes, dilated pupils

The vets can't seem to figure out what is wrong with my cat. He obviously didn't feel good and starting hiding and sleeping in dark spots rathen being his usual affectionate self. He eas eating and using his box just fine; blood and urine tests and xrays plus physical exam showed nothing. Specialist ran a toxo test which came back positive. We put him on Clindamycin for 30 days and by dat 29 he was 100% back to normal.

Then two days off antibiotics and he was acting sick and hiding again. Back on Clindamycin but it's been 7 days and he has not popping back as quickly as he did last time. His pupils are dilated and he is hiding from us (normally loves attention!) but he is eating just fine and will purr when he does let us pet him.

Neurologist says it wasn't even toxo in the first place. But if so why did he get better? And why isn't he getting better now?

I think they just want to use their MRI on him but that is a step too far. We'd like to stop taking him in for tests- it just scares him and makes him more upset.

Any ideas?
Tags: cat pupil behavior
hi Jae and welcome. I don't think I can add much to insight unfortunately.
You have had tests and exams done with a specialist and they couldn't find anything wrong...this is very upsetting to see your kitty in distress and no one knows why.

the questions you ask all have to be addressed with the specialist...why was he given an antib in teh first place and why did he show some signs of recovery if it wasn't toxo related???

As you have already been told I'm sure..when the pupils are dilated this strongly indicates some head/brain trauma. or at times it can be due to medication, was he like this before the antibiotic or afterwards?
he is obviously in some distress. was a brain MRI ever done? I sure hope he soon has some help and recovers again for you....this is very sad.
I don't like Vets prescribing an antibiotic unless there is a strong indication that its required. good luck and please keep us updated.
Still on the Clindamycin, our cat continues to recover. But we need to know what the Clindamycin is affecting so we can attack the root cause. We went to yet another specialist and all any of them want are more tests. Looks like we might have to seriously consider getting an MRI, much as we don't want to put him through that.
I don't know if they would answer without an appointment but you could try contacting a vet school.  I know for people some doctors look over your info before they take the referral so you might get something there.