Cats Community
Cat fights :)

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cat fights :)

Okay, I have a female cat, 4 years old, and she used to live alone with me and my boyfriend for 2 years.

Then my boyfriend brought his male cat to live with us. The male cat is younger, but they seemed to get along fine... Before we made a decision to spay/neuter them - they made babies!

And one of those babies, who is now a full grown cat (male) - stayed with us.

So we now have three spayed/neutered cats - and for some reason, as her baby got older - my cat started hissing and growling at both male cats for no apparent reason, started going away from home for periods of two to three days, and started hating everything and everyone (except me).

Now, I would like to generally know how to approach this problem and solve it - particularly because we are moving to another apartment in the next few months - where she won`t have a backyard to go to, so she`ll have to stay in with the two males - who are, well, young males, full of energy and playful - while she, on the other hand is not, she is a "leave me be" kind of cat, who likes things being her way all the time...

Any advice?
I don't think this is necessarily a function of spay/neuter or gender as much as it is one of age and individual temperment.  Some cats are players/wrestlers, others are not, particularly as they get older.  I would provide a place for her to call her own (a carrier with the door left open or an enclosure of some sort that she can go to when she wants to be left alone.  The two younger males should typically keep each other amused and will get bored with trying to engage her in their antics.
I`ll try and do that - hope it works out!
Thanks :)