Cats Community
Cat grinding teeth after dental cleaning

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

My cat, Mitzi, makes a terrible grinding sound since she had her teeth cleaned 5 days ago. Took her back to vet who decided to remove a tooth that might be causing the trouble. This meant anesthesia twice in 3 days. She wouldn't eat, so I've brought her home. She tried to eat but the grinding sound is still there. She takes a tiny bite and starts shaking her head and making this sound. She is 17 - she was eating perfectly before the dental cleaning. I am at my wits end - has anyone heard of this? the vet seems stumped.
hi I'm not sure either...but just wondering IF the Vet took xrays as well? there could well be underlying PAIN following the cleaning due to FORL's this is an  reabsorption lesion that affects the roots of the teeth...and I'm just thinking if this is present Mitzi could now be hurting..

http://www.dentalvet.com/Encyclopedia/M04977.htm

My one cat was found to have this during recent xrays but he's alot younger and its only just started, apparantly is a very painful condition when it becomes worse...hope its not the case, just a suggestion.
let us know how Mitzi does ok....

let us know how Mitzi does ok....
Thank-you so much for this. I wish I had never agreed to allowing a dental cleaning on a cat who may have been 17 with bad teeth but was happy and ate well. The guilt of having done this to her is eating me up alive. She has taken a few sips of milk (she has drunk it all her life) and had some water but otherwise she has hardly eaten. Not even a teaspoon all day. She is on a long acting painkiller. No I don't think the vet took x-rays, Opus. He didn't actually have to remove any teeth - just tartar. I will ask him about this tomorrow. I will never forgive myself for letting her go through this.
hey hon, its not your fault...we do what we think is best and trust our Vets to know but sometimes there are problems...I have to take one of mine in for a cleaning on Wed and I too am always apprehensive about but do know its necessary to keeping them healthy....-(
What is she on for a pain med? it could be whats causing the lack of appetite...
she has to eat and soon, cats cannot go long without any food before they run into liver problems, do you have a syringe or dropper? get some jars of soft baby food MEAT without any flavors esp salt....you will need to give her something by dropper(add water to it so its easy to draw into the dropper)..

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Pets/Syringe--Force-feeding-for-cats--Part-one/show/491?cid=2

must do this today, she'll need a few tablespoons every few hours until she is ready to eat on her own..
but first tell me the name of the pain killer...
To my shame I don't know - he injected her with one before she left the hospital. I will ask him tomorrow first thing
I tried some chicken baby food, but she started gagging. She has eaten about 3 Iams kibbles, I lick of Whiskas sardines and tuna, a few licks of milk and some water. THAT IS IT!! Every time she eats this crunching sound starts and she shakes her head and moves her mouth around. Now she is actually hiding from me for the first time in her life after the baby food attempt. It is as though she is afraid to eat and associates the food with discomfort or pain...
yes thats exactly whats happening....its hurting her to eat.
be sure to offer her soft foods not the kibble as this will be even harder for her to chew.
when you give her some of the baby food(or other liquefied wet food) be very sure just to put a small amount into her mouth each time, insert the syringe or dropper on the side of her mouth near the back molars...(not the front)..and squeeze just a cc (or ml) at a time or yes she will began to choke or gag.

or try to temp her with tuna or anything else she enjoys as you are doing.
It is important that she does see her Vet again and get them to show you the proper way of syringe feeding you will need to do this until she is eating again on her own.
Poor kitty she must be really sore....
If she needs more pain meds when you see your Vet BUPRONORPHINE (buprenex) is one of the safest to use for cats.
I am writing this down. Tell do cats who stop eating ever start eating again? I've never had this problem. Last week I nearly lost one of my dogs to very bad gastritis. I'm barely sleeping and eating - sorry if I'm rambling but it's just been a two week nightmare. And is it ok for her to get an appetite stimulant? The first time she was so hungry she cried but could not eat, the second time was in the hospital and it didn't make her eat at all. I value the advice of people who are OCD about the animals above vet advice, unless there is a specific diagnosis no-one knows about. Really thank-you for all your time and patience. Am going to the vet again tomorrow morning.
hi...so sorry I understand how stressed out you must be right now...yes of course she will start eating again as soon as she feels better. right now she probably has a very sore mouth and perhaps some side effects going on with the medication as well (?)
the assist feeding is just to be sure she continues to get some food into her and not get alot sicker...
I found this youtube video showing you how to do some food up and how to use the syringe(or dropper can be used too)
watch this it will help you alot. I wouldn't worry about adding the pumpkin as this lady does because you are doing this for only short term nutrition and not long term like the cat in the video needs....just keep the food simple..like a baby food meat..or some canned cat food that you add some water too...good luck. let us know how she makes out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6o17wH6ujk
I have taken your advice and started syringe feeding her - the youtube vid was great. I made a mix of Hill's Critical Care with a little cream to thin it, some probiotics, and a drop of Omega 3 fish oils. She doesn't like it but is tolerating it.
The vet wouldn't discuss medication with me - he looked bored of the whole thing - basically he said he has never heard of these symptoms and almost questioned whether she was in fact having them (because she had never eaten in hospital, so he had seen no evidence). All he could think of was severe pain, but he could offer no reason for an animal having so much pain after a dental cleaning, and he said she could not have any more pain meds until tomorrow.
Oh and he never bothered with Xrays - not even when I took her back, and he decided, without permission, to remove a healthy tooth which 'might have been causing the clicking'.
I have managed to get an appointment with a vet who is a dental specialist tomorrow afternoon, so I'm praying he will be able to resolve this. Will update you. She is quite miserable and listless - she hardly comes out of her special hidy hole.
I'm so sorry for all you and kitty have been through.  It's very exhausting care for sick pets and heartbreaking to see them suffering.  I'm glad Mitzi will see a specialist.  She needs dental xrays.   I'm wondering if, during the cleaning and given your cats age, one of her teeth may of split...or become loose...and it's going by unnoticed? (At 17, Mitzi' teeth are not the strongest)  OR, the anesthesia tube down her throat (if that method was done vs IV), could of broken one of her teeth or at the very least, loosened it.  I do hope her jaw wasn't affected (just a guess) that's what the crunching sound you hear. She may now be coming down wrong on her existing teeth?  I hope your vet has as least visually looked in her mouth manually.  

I've had a lot of dental work and change in bite can cause excruciating pain when trying to eat.  Even a cleaning can make mouth and teeth hurt for over a week.  My bet is there is an abscessed or cracked tooth and the vibration of the cleaning tool either loosened or aggravated an abscessed tooth and has been overlooked.  

Bless you go going the extra mile for your girl.  Meanwhile, keep up with the syringing - you're saving her life until you can see that second opinion. You might want to add some Pedialyte (with water being a must of course) - another common liquid given to a sick cat.  She is really feeling bad to be hiding now.  My thoughts and prayers will be with Mitzi and yourself - please let us know what the second opinion says.  See if she might drink some tuna juice after the feeding.  Oh, and always off some kind of treat after syringe feeding so they will associate that with a good thing...if possible, of course.  You may have to resort to wrapping Mitzi in a towel.  I know that's hard, but for her own good.

We have all been where you are with sick cat and understand the lack of sleep, worry, etc.  Please post if you should need to vent, have a question or simply need support.  We are all here for you.

Will be awaiting anxiously for your update.  Good luck today!
I appreciate your comment SO MUCH - I am being eaten alive by guilt. Thanks for the pedialyte tip. I'm at a loss as to what is causing it. I took her back because of the crunching cracking sound. The vet said he examined her under sedation, found nothing wrong, suspected a tooth (which was healthy), went ahead, put her under and extracted it (without checking with me). When I took her home she was visibly weaker - the second she tried to eat the cracking came back. I wonder if you are right about the jaw? When I asked him about it, he shrugged. He admitted he did no X-rays (not even the second time) even though he KNEW I was worried and told him to take every precaution. I phoned the surgery two days in a row before I took her in saying I was concerned, and please to not take any short-cuts.
There is not a thing I would not do for my Mitzi - she has been an unbelievable blessing. I just pray she does not have to leave this world suffering like this because I failed her. I will never forgive myself.
Hi there
Specialist said the grinding is caused by her being in excruciating pain - and you may be right about the reabsorbtive lesion!!!!!!! Can't tell without an Xray, but as she was slightly dehydrated AND had an infection where the other vet removed a tooth (wrong side from the pain, btw) this vet was not prepared to risk another anesthesia without sorting out these issues. So she is in hospital on opiates, antibiotics and a nasal drip.  
He did bloods and said aside from her kidneys and current problems (which are not at all bad) this cat is in excellent health for her age. She is at one of the top hospitals here, and seemed to trust this vet, so I don't feel as terrible leaving her. Specialist feels that unless something really goes wrong out of the blue, she should make a fully recovery. Thank-goodness you told me to syringe feed - just in time! Will post an update. Thank you, thank you, thank you
I mean her kidneys aren't at all bad - the tooth problem is awful....
well sounds like you got her to a 'good' Vet just in time...poor baby!!!!
IF it is these FORL's they can be excruciating for sure. with my Sami he is gettin xrays every few months now and if they start to get to the next stage he will need to have some extensive dental work....-(

be VERY sure that if it is this condition that the Vet remove the root as well as the tooth...b/c its the roots where all the absorption is happening with the nerves there and the PAIN..

given her otherwise excellent health plus a good hospital I too am confident she will be strong enough to pull through all this....thank God for you researching and going that extra mile when you knew something wasn't right with her...your a good mommy!!!!

I am sending some prayers for little Mitzi...please DO keep us updated.
Thank-you, hon - you are an angel!!!!! My Mizi, all my animals are absolutely precious - she is the oldest and she deserves nothing but the best. You do wonderful work on this forum - it has been an unbelievable source of comfort. Our babies can't speak, and we have to advocate for them. So many people suggested I just have her put down, because maybe it was 'her time'. While I would not allow a cat in agony with no hope of recovery to languish, I refuse to just give up without a fight. My prayers are with you and your Sami! Btw Mitzi is a Red-point Himalayan, but tiny - she is only about 6 pounds. Her son (only child - she only had one kitten) Hamlet (15) is sitting on my lap - he is enormous - more than twice her size. I would not care if they were street moggies - but I wanted to give you an idea of my darlings. God Bless - will keep updating.
oh I couldn't agree more with your words...these little critters are our babies and need us to love and care for them as we would anyone we love.
And I too never give up on one without a fight...
I have 2 kitties now (was previously 4) My old boy Opus was a seal point himalayan..he pasted away at 17 after a long battle with blood pressure and heart disease...he is still my love.

Now I have Sami, also a seal point himmie.(his pictures though were during a health problem when he lost his facial pigmentation...is NOW BACK TO HIS BEAUTIFUL FACE).......and Nemo a persian/ragdoll cross he is ALL black. one.
I've always has a great love of himalayans...
Go to my profile page and you can view my photos..after you accept an invitation to 'be a friend'

http://www.medhelp.org/personal_pages/show/473886?personal_page_id=473886

I hope you will also post some photos of your darling himmies too...
Have a great day....we are all pulling for Mitzi
Somehow I missed this earlier.  Now reading through it I cried. PLEASE don't feel guilty.  I know how you feel but in the opposite situation.  I feel guilty about waiting so long to have it done

Taz, my poor baby, has horrible teeth problems.  I knew when his breath gets yucky that he needs to get in, but it just costs so much that I have to plan for it.  When he came home the last time he was a different kitty. Playful goofy just overall happier.  Apparently his teeth had been bothering him a lot and he felt so much better after dealing with them. I felt so guilty that I cried for several days.  

I have had all 3 of my cats' teeth cleaned.  Ollie is 14 and only has a couple of teeth left, but feels better.

I think we feel bad because we do things and it goes bad or we didn't realize it should have been done earlier.  There is NO way of knowing how a kitty will react to a procedure. If something had happened during the procedure I could have never forgiven myself.

Thank-you so much - I'm so glad to hear your kitties did well. I understand the guilt completely. I went to visit my poor little Mitzi in hospital today - she crawled onto my shoulder and the nurse had to help me by holding her until I left because she was so upset. Still waiting for her to be strong enough to take another anesthesia. I have cried so much about this
But my situation gets worse - my other cat (her son) went in for a dental at the same time. He didn't have much tartar, so I wasn't too worried about him - plus he is in perfect health. Now he has started (tomorrow will be a week after the procedure) grinding his teeth, and his breath smells just awful (he has never had smelly breath). I can only assume an infection....I wasn't watching him terribly carefully because I was so busy with Mitzi - I'm not sure if it's just started, or has being brewing for a couple of days. Now I have double guilt. I'm just not doing a very good job.....
Marie, honey, you are doing a Wonderful job!  To have this happen to Both kitties is bizarre to say the least.  Jade has had many cleanings as so many others have had on this forum and nothing like this has ever happened - I believe it must be rare.  And of course your mind was on Mitzy - who could know this would happen to both cats??  Now that you're familiar with that grinding sound, I'm sure this must of just started for your male otherwise you would of heard it before today.  Just please know you were doing the right thing for your kitties by getting their teeth cleaned and couldn't possibly know all this would happen.  

Hang in there, Marie and keep us updated.  Big Hug!
Jade
Mitzi is scheduled to have the problem teeth removed tomorrow (she stays in hospital until then). Hamlet is back under anaesthesia today - he has developed an ulcer - may be a resorbtive root that became infected after the dental. Have discovered a lump on his tummy which they suspect may be a rare mammary gland cancer - I will know when he comes out from his teeth whether it is a cyst or this horrible alternative. I am shaking with fear.
Hamlet has come home - he had to have the root of his problem tooth removed, but is eating well. The lump on his tummy is a mammary gland cyst which needs to be watched, but cysts aren't cancer. Mitzi is very perky - feeding tube and all - I visit her everyday. The nurses are all in love with her because she is so sweet. Tomorrow she is going to have her problem teeth removed. Provided we have no setbacks, I'm hopeful both cats have a full return to health. If anyone is considering a dental for an older cat (any cat) please insist on Xrays - all of the complications both my cats have suffered are as a result of a vet that thought he didn't need them - at enormous pain and suffering to the animals.
oh finally you have some 'good' news....so glad Mitzi is doing better and Hamlet is home and recovering...and not cancer is such a relief..

my Nemo had his cleaning done yesterday too..he is home but still very lethargic. he had XRAYS(yes very important) and found to have a dissolved root that had evidence of infection, so the tooth had to be extracted. he is on antibiotics and tramadol for pain(which I'll only use if necessary) today he is more alert and eating ...but still not acting himself poor little fella.

With the love of our pets we have to be prepared for alot of expense too, we cannot ignore their teeth, even when they appear fine there can be underlying issues that aren't visible without an xray and causing these little guys alot of pain.

that first Vet clinic that did Mitzi work, I hope you phoned them and told them all about all the unnecessary pain and suffering they caused by their lack of knowledge...you should seek a refund (fat chance) from them for removing a healthy tooth....urrrrr!!!!

sending ((((hugs)))) and love for your baby and her surgery tomorrow...sounds like she is in good hands now and will be home and happy real soon -)

keep us updated...soon you can relax mommy -)
Oh I hope Nemo is back to his old self soon!!!! Please give him a kiss <3 Petcare IS expensive - I am staring down the most enormous costs, but my babies are worth every cent (for the good veterinary services). Experience is an expensive lesson.
I have spoken to the first vet - he is responsible for both Mitzi and Hamlet needing follow-up anesthesia and surgery. Mitzi has been on a feeding tube for 3 days for no reason other than her teeth are too painful to allow her to eat (my blood runs cold). He seems to feel they had an undesirable 'reaction'. Depending on what the Xrays indicate, I am seriously thinking of asking for a refund - not least because I asked him to do EVERYTHING necessary to ensure their safety - he acted as though I was being neurotic (which I am), but I was right based on results.
I'm just praying Mitzi gets back to eating after not eating for so long. I will definitely update. I struggled to find any info on this particular problem, and I'm sure (sadly) there will be others in this position....thank-you for all your kind words and thoughts. And especially thank-your for the advice and urging me to syringe feed. Big Hugs to you and your babies! xx
You were absolutely right 2 resorbed roots were removed this morning. Congrats Opus - you pointed out what my vet was unable to. Surgery went well, but I can't bring her home because she has not eaten properly in so long - so the vet wants to keep her and make sure she is ok. At this hospital, all animals have an assigned nurse, so they get to know that person. Mitzi is very comfortable with her nurse who holds her and fusses over her a lot - so I know she is not unhappy. Just praying she eats in the next 24 hours - that is our last hurdle. Hammie doing very well. How is Nemo doing?
I am so glad I could help but I am also so annoyed the first Vet could have been so careless and incompetent in Mitzi's care, he should have known better!!!!!
Now finally some good news, she will soon be on the road to recovery, it may take time for her to feel like eating again after such a painful experience. I'm sure this hospital knows how to tempt her with soft foods that she likes, wow sounds like an amazing place a private nurse even...holy cats!!!
GREAT that Hammie is coming along so well, Nemo is as too...he was really out of sorts most of yesterday but by evening he felt like more himself...and is eating like a trooper..-)
he said to thankyou for the big hug...he's a hugger.
we are sending some back your way...{>^.^<} and special prayers for Mitzi.
just wondering how our little Mitzi is doing????....thinking of her ((>^.^<))
Yes, me too. How's Mitzi?  I am very happy to read Hamlet is home and doing well.  
Ok Mitzi is doing better but not wonderfully. She came out of hospital on Sunday, and her appetite has been variable. She is still shaking her head and pawing at her face after she takes a few bites of food, although the grinding has stopped. It seems as if the dental has precipitated FOPs - Feline Oral Pain Syndrome - according to the vet, the pain from last Friday's root removal should have reduced by now. She is on Temgesic (buprenorphine) 3 times a day. At her check up this morning we found her creatine levels are up, so the vet has started her on Fortekor (kidneys still not terrible, but not great either - probably because of 3 anaesthetics in a row!!!). He has also put her on low dose cortisone to see if it helps with pain and stimulates her appetite.
She is definitely looking better than after the first dental. She lost 200g in hospital, and although she has not gained since she has been home she hasn't lost either. I'm feeding her whatever she will eat - which is hit and miss. She was enjoying lumps of butter and fresh mince, but is now preferring 'stinky fish' - tiny, tiny amounts. Cat nip sometimes makes her eat, but I don't want to overuse it in case she gets bored.
Any ideas how to pill a cat with a sore mouth? I was sneaking her antibiotic (finished now) into her mince - today she 'discovered' it and was furious at the betrayal. I think mince is now quite out of favour for a while.
She has been walking around, quite bright and interested in things, but mealtimes are not easy.
Thank-you so much for asking after her - I will continue to update you. Apparently FOPS is very common in Burmese cats, but all Orientals are more prone than other breeds. It is a terrifying result in a dental - basically they have nerve pain which seems to be provoked by chewing.
Much Love and Blessings to all of you, Opus, Jade, and anyone else battling with their pets.......And any advice would be very welcome!!!! xxxxxx
I am so sorry to read about Mitzi continued problems, poor baby. all due to a incompetent Vet and his lack of knowledge with dentals.
I wasn't aware that FOS was common in Oriental breeds. thats a good tip to remember as Sami is Himalayan.
You are right in feeding her whatever she will eat at this point, keep it soft so she doesn't need to chew...you can use a small blender and mush it up for her or minced as you are doing.
One word of caution be sure it is the 'salt free' butter you are giving her.
I am not in favor of using cortisone because of the huge risk of diabetes, ask your Vet about meds specifically for nerve pain such as gabapentin...although it does come with some risks too...but not fair to leave the poor little girl in pain either..
Also ask your Vet about a compound pharmacy, many medications can be made up into a paste as opposed to a pill than a small amount of the paste can be just wiped into the inside of the ear flap and absorbed that way...much easier when a cat is difficult to pill but not every med can be prepared this way.. liquid form is also an alternative for her.
I will include these instructions on how to pill a cat, but I'm sure you know this already and are just having problems d/t her sore mouth.

www.veterinarypartner.com/content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=525

sending love and ((hugs)) to both you and Mitzi, its so hard to watch these little ones suffering, just breaks our hearts. ♥

Thank-you - you are such an angel. If I had known a standard scale and polish would provoke all of this (including now reduced kidney function) I would never, ever have put my poor baby through this.
I am having serious doubts about the cortisone...she has 1/2 tablet for 6 days. I have a compelling reason to keep her on the Temogesic and start the Fortekor. I'm less certain about the cortisone. I'm looking on the web, but I'm not finding any real evidence for - have you heard of it helping pain and appetite?
I don't want to pump her full of medicine just for the sake of it. You are so right - watching her battle to eat, and paw at her little face (she is a tiny 2.4kg now) is heart-rending. I pick her up when it starts and try to comfort and distract her, but I feel awful she has to go through this. LIke Sami, she is a Himalayan (such gorgeous, darling cats).
I'm thinking of crushing her pills (they already have to be quartered) and putting them into a small syringe with a little water. I'm terrified of causing her any more pain and distress than necessary.
LOve and Hugs to you - you have helped me so, so much!!! <3
just check with your Vet first before trying to crush the meds...these are opiates and when crushed will all enter the system at one time and not dissolve as they are meant to do...wouldn't want to give an overdose..so always check first some meds aren't meant to be crushed.
the cortisone does make the appetite increase yes, however there are much safer options such as B12 to do that....just becareful which b12 you use, must not contain any soy, yeast or other additives. I can give you a link to a very good one.

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-B-Complex-12-60-Veggie-Caps/18126?at=0

I order internationally from this company often...rates very reasonable...

our love to Mitzi♥
Mitzi sends love and purrs back!!! She is such a sweet little thing. The vet has now given me 2 options - talk about being between a rock and a hard place. One is to leave things as they stand, and hope the pain resolves, the other is to remove all back teeth in the hope that maybe one of them is causing pain with a fracture so tiny it is invisible.
She is doing better, but eating is still painful. Any suggestions (and thank-you so much for the links - they have all been so helpful) xxxx
Mitzi isn't eating at all any more. I honestly don't know what to do.
poor little Mitzi she sure is having her struggles...I feel so bad for her. the loss of appetite can be due to the medication and/OR pain. perhaps you are going to do the assist feedings again to keep up her strength until she feels well enough to eat on her own....we are all praying for this little girl.♥

Hi Marie, I'm about ready to leave the house, but want you to know I'll be keeping Mitzi in my thoughts and prayers.  You, too.  Warm Hugs to you *♥*
Thank-you Jade and Opus!!!!!!!!
This morning Mitzi's back leg gave while she was eating, and then again when she was walking. I rushed her to the vet, who diagnosed a back injury (no idea how she got it - she barely walks around and doesn't jump). There is a very specific muscle on either side of her spine which is very painful when he touches it (near the tail). Painkillers and rest are all he can do for that.
He did a kidney test again - her CREA is 270 (up) and her urea is 14. Everything else is ok. She has actually put on 50grams - he said her liver is fine, but to keep encouraging her to eat normally, so long as she eats a little each time. He is worried if I syringe feed she will develop a complete aversion to eating because she is so mouth shy. Other than her injury, she was quite bright - now sleeping on lots of Temogesic again. She has eaten little today - but she is very upset at having gone to the vet, so I've let her be and will keep offering her food once she's calmed down.
xxxxxx
Thank-you for your kind thoughts Jade!!!! xxx
just doesn't end for poor Mitzi does it....wonder how that happened? Tramadol I know can cause stiff back legs however she isn't on that but still both are opiates...so I wonder?

I sent you info and links re the mediation gabapentin..also used on cats for nerve pain FOPS. side effects of course but this pain has to be gotten under control the poor girl is really suffering. I know how bad nerve pain can be, I've been on gaba for years..sent you some links and speak to your Vet about.

our love and ((hugs)) to you both...♥
Thank-you again for you endless support!!! Spoke to vet - he suggested finishing the current course of Temogesic, and then looking at other options. She seems to be eating better - tiny portions, many times a day adds up eventually. I've only seen her fall once today, but she has been very quiet (maybe the meds). It seems like the mouth pain is a little more bearable, or getting better - she even asked for food once or twice. Still have the grinding after she's eaten, but it's not for as long.
It looks like you were right, Opus - it just takes longer for the pain to go away when the roots/bone is involved...will keep updating on how it goes. <3
Hi Marie.  I'm happy to read that Mitzi is eating a little more on her own.  Poor sweet girl, she's really been through a time.  Yes, the meds will slow her down some.

We all care so please keep us updated, Marie.  

Prayers and Hugs to you and Mitzi~~
Wow, I can't get over how similar your problem is to mine. 6yr.old Male cat "Zorro" recently had all of his teeth removed; I took him to the vet because he kept pawing at his mouth after only a bite or 2 of food (even liquids) after exam, blood panel, and x-rays, it was determined he needed to have 10 extractions. Well he continued to paw at his mouth, a biopsy was done, results came back negative. So the rest of his teeth were removed. Its been 1 month and he is pawing at his mouth after 1 or 2 bites, and he runs and hides after eating. This particular vet is very expensive, it wouldn't bother me if the surgery's were successful. Hope you're able to have a better outcome
Keep posting.

My absolute sympathies - I came so close to losing Mitzi. I kept her on painkillers for nearly 2 months- the Temogesic, and kept feeding her at small intervals. The pain gradually improved, and as she got better at eating, I eased up on the meds until she didn't need them anymore. It seems like the pain takes a really long time to resolve - the trick is making sure they don't starve to death while that happens.
I honestly thought Mitzi wasn't going to recover, but she did. I would definitely ask the vet for painkillers, for as long as necessary. Zorro is obviously hungry, but then the pain gets to him. Mitzi is 18, and the prolonged use of painkillers has not affected her adversely. She would have starved to death without them. Don't let them give you anti-inflammatories though - they are dangerous to cats.
You are in the right place - I got so much support here - don't know what I would have done without it! Hang in there - at 6 Zorro is a spring chicken. Let us know how it goes. Hugs!!!
hi Marie.....I was so hoping you would reply to Zorro's mom with some news and 'great' news too....I  am sooo happy to hear that the pain did subside for little Mitzi and now she is now fully recovered..YEAH!!!!

purrfectmeow, Marie has given you very good advice. she is so right abt how important it is to get the pain under control so Zorro with eat....
from all the reading I've done and my own experience with cat dentals the best med for pain control is BUPRENEX....ask your Vet abt this particular one and hopefully you will come back real soon and tell us that Zorro is doing much better♥
Opus!!! How are you?
You got me through such an awful time. Yes I vowed i would reply if anyone had the same problem - I cannot believe we got through it. Mitzi made a fantastic recovery which astonished everybody - she's just had a snack, and is curled up sleeping on my bed.
How are your babies?
<3 Hugs
morning marie....I'm just so happy for you and Mitzi too, poor little girl I too really had my doubts when nothing seemed to be working for her, its so hard to watch them suffer like that.

My boyz are good, Sami needs a dental too in a few weeks...and x-rays to see if the FORLS have progressed and than he'll need more extractions...I'm always so worried whenever they need anesthesia. If he does need more extractions I'm going to take him to a dental surgeon in the city, so I've been putting some $$ away for this possible expense.

Nemo is good, still the occasional unexpected puddle of pee left somewhere for me to find, the wet food pretty much cured him of that 2 yrs ago, but now he seems to like leaving me a little surprise now and than. than I get out the homeopathy drops which I need to be using more consistently.

you and Mitz take care, drop in once in awhile and let us know how you both are..((to you too))♥
Will do! So glad to hear Sami and Nemo are getting along well. It is excruciating watching them suffer, and such a relief that my little girl pulled through. It shows that you should not give up too easily - so many suggested I have her PTS.
I see some vets in the USA give pain relief before, during and after a dental, to ensure the pain never gets out of control - maybe discuss this with Sami's surgeon.
All the very best!!! Hugs
Hi Marie I have just been reading all the postings about your cat Mitz's condition, I do hope she is still doing well.  My 15 year old little girl is going through the same thing, had four top back teeth out in October and not been right since.  The right side has healed with no problems, but the left side still not healed.  Not eating, grinding mouth and shaking her head and pawing her face just like your Mitz was, shes been under a few times and they reckon theres nothing in the hole, she had an xray and they said theyre not sure but it probably is jaw cancer -a tumour under the jaw or in the jaw.  Ive been syringe feeding her for over 2 months now, and is on Meloxidyl and morphine.  Im heartbroken and dont know where else to turn.  I just wanted to ask you when Mitz was going through it all a year ago did her gum heal??  Im probably clutching at straws but just wanted to ask.  Im in the UK hope you dont mind me contacting you.  Many thanks, Jen
Hi Jen
So sorry about your little girl - it's terrible to go through! Mitzi is now in her 19th year, and she is doing GREAT! I'm so glad I didn't listen to all the naysayers who thought I should put her down. I got great advice here (especially from Opus - thank-you again), and I wrote to every dental specialist vet on the net  could find.

It too about 3 months before Mitzi finally healed - she was on opiates all that time, and sometimes it was a battle to get even a teaspoon of food in.
My first question is, are they sure she doesn't have FORLS on that side? Before they start speculating about cancer? Because the residue of a FORL which is a part of a tooth which may be hidden under the gum that has very painful nerves which set off if irritated can be very, very difficult to spot. So please ask them to rule that out for sure.

The second thing that I've picked up is once these nerves become painful after a dental (and one feline dental specialist told me, most vets do not have the proper equipment for cats - they need particularly good drills etc so the vibrations from too large oens don't set off nerve pain. Cat's nerves are closer to the gum, which makes them more susceptible to these problems) - anyway, once the pain starts, once those nerves have been irritated,  it takes a long, long time to resolve. This was my experience with Mitzi - when we got to 3 months, I thought it would never go, but then, all of a sudden, it just started to get better.

The difficult thing is keeping them going and eating enough until that happens, and also keeping the faith. Btw, I used heaps of catnip to get madam to eat - if yours likes it that may help. Also warming the food, lots of gravy. I also found she quickly resented a flavor, because she somehow blamed it for the pain, so I had to keep a vast variety of different foods.

Please do let me know how it's going. I hope what I've said helps - if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!!

Wishing you and your little girl all the very best! Believe me, everyone told me to keep trying with Mitzi was a lost cause. I'm so glad I didn't listen. Big  Hug
You may also want to ask your vet try Gabapentin - I never did, but some have found it helpful...
Hi Marie

Thanks so much for replying.  Im so glad Mitz is doing so well.  The Vets and specialists who have seen her xray say theres is nothing in the hole at all, but I will ask them about the drilling thing and FORLS.  She did have a lesion after the dental but thats gone, the gums just wont heal, they even tried stitching but they came out.  They are saying that as her teeth were broken it was this cancer eating the roots from underneath.  Its so hard as I only lost her beautiful brother to spinal cancer 3 months ago and shes now my world.   But I just cant leave her to suffer - its so hard.  Opus has very kindly been giving me some advice too - its so nice of you both.  Im taking all the advice on board.  Will let you know.

Thanks again for your time, with very best wishes.  Jen
Marie, so nice to see a post from you and to hear that Mitz continues to do so well...keep us updated we love to hear from you.

Jen.....I got your reply in my PM, again I am so very sorry to read all abt poor little girl, there are times we just have to trust in what the specialists have told us, pain is treatable...however when any opening is not healing that is a strong evidence of cancer. With such a diagnosis along with the suffering its just sometimes in our dear little ones best interests to be euthanized, and everyone here knows how I don't ever like to say that to any pet parent. But sometimes I must in situations like you describe, I'm so very sorry you have recently lost her brother too and that makes it doubly hard to make that final decision.......but we must always in the end have compassion for our little ones and do what we know is right by them.
God bless you and your dear little girl, our hearts and prayers are with you hon♥
Thank you my dear lady, you are so very kind. Jen
Oh gosh, I do feel for you Jen! Has it not healed at all, or is it healing slowly? I think older animals do heal slowly. I certainly hope it's not cancer, but if it is, please know I'm thinking of you. Do keep us updated!.

Yes, Opus, the Mitzi is quite blind, but still going strong. I know it can't last forever, but I'm enjoying her while I can. I have her on extra Krill oil and Vitamin E, and it's made a huge difference!
Thanks mariemitz, well the 3 specialists and my vet say 99% its jawbone cancer, 1% it could be a bone infection.  But her little eye is closing up and they say thats probably the tumour going up.  The gums on the right side healed fine but the left side although they did start to heal at the beginning when she had the teeth out, 6 weeks later there was a big hole again which has never healed.  Theyve now got her on really strong antibiotics to see if that does any good, and she seems to be on the best of the painkillers. Shes still lapping the liquidised food from the syringe, in fact shes taken 3 full pouches today so almost 300 grms.  But wont entertain food in a bowl, probably because of the pain shes felt.  Its so heartbreaking.   Glad to see your Mitzi is doing so well, shes such a good age now, well done.  Best wishes Jen & Rufi
I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm really praying that it's just an infection. But I know  that Rufi is in the kindest, most loving hands, and she is lucky to have you.
You are both in my thoughts and prayers Big Hug
Thank you so much Marie, best wishes and hugs to you and yours from us across the oceans. Jen & Rufi