Cats Community
Cat hair bad for babies?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cat hair bad for babies?

We've had our cat for about 6 months, she's never been outside. We live in a 1 bedroom apt. which means she sleeps in the living room. Our son is about to be born soon, and though we've kept telling ourselves today is the day we kick Toffee out, we just don't have the heart to do it. We've heard cat hair is bad for babies, and thats why we need to get rid of Toffee. Is cat hair really bad, or can Toffee stay?
I have no idea what to do with her anymore!
I Don't think you must get rid of her.poor one.Just be sure the cat had all the vacinations needy and its healthy and dont let her in the same place the baby will be.Cleaning the fallen furs as you probably already does must be enough.Normal babies can put up with some "germs",they stimulated the imunological system development..
Good luck,all the best for the whole family!
First of all, congratulations on your upcoming arrival!   In a one bedroom apt, how can you keep the cat away from the baby, realistically?  Its hard enough to keep dust in the air to a minimum, cat hair and cat dander, its even harder.  But how do you put your cat out of your apt.? Is there anywhere temporary it could stay until the baby is at least a few months old?  If your baby were to develop any kind of allergy, the cat, of course, would be the first suspect. I've been in your situation, many yrs ago, we lived in an apt in Cal when my husband was in the Marine Corps at El Toro and we had our first baby there, and we also had a cat that had 5 kittens within days of our daughter's birth. It worked out ok but looking back, I probably wouldn't do it again.  If you do decide to keep the cat in the apt. you probably need to invest in a really, really good air filter.
You know, I was going to mention the suggestions from the two posts above, but I wasn't comfortable being the only one with those suggestions.  I would hate to see you have to part company with a beloved pet, though.  I was actually thinking the same thing about finding a temporary placement for the cat 'til the baby is older, if you're concerned about keeping kitty with an upcoming newborn in a one bedroom apartment.  It won't be easy for kitty either, but it would be the next best thing.  You may end up deciding that the temporary placement is the perfect place for kitty permanently, too, so make sure it is with people who will love and cherish your furry friend.  

That's actually how I ended up with my cat.  I cat sat in her home for about six months.  We ended up being permanent room mates when her previous owner died.  My friend knew I loved and cherished this wonderful little furry friend.  Before my friend died, she told me I just had to come back to her apartment (this was before anyone knew she was as sick as she was).  Then, when I showed up, the cat was literally calling me from the bedroom where she was curled up in her favorite chair.  My friend told me:  "I told you that cat missed you!"  She knew I was the right person to take the cat if something were to happen to her.  None of us expected it so soon after she asked me, but I don't regret agreeing to keep this wonderful cat.  Of course, I believe in keeping my word, too.

I think the air filter is an excellent idea.  I want to do the same thing for myself because of my own allergies.  Mind you, the dust allergy is worse than the cat allergy, so I would be considering the filter with or without the cat.  I personally would get the air filter before ever parting company with my darling cat.  Maybe the air filter will help Akira's allergies, too.  I'm pretty sure she has a dust allergy, too.

Think carefully what you decide to do.  Put the baby first, but don't forget that you might have a void if you have to part company with your furry friend.
My children and the majority of my friends of had cats or dogs when a new baby has arrived and none of use has ever had a problem with the 'hair' situation.  If you groom you kitty regularly (which should be at least once a week for a short hair and 2-3 for a long or thick coat)  you will be fine.

An air purifier is a great solution even if a baby isn't due...and BTW....  Congrats!

You don't have to get rid your kitty.

BTW  that old wives tale about kitty's smothering babies is a myth.  I think that is one of the worries you are having.

Cats do like to crawl into where a child is sleeping simply because they give off more body heat, but they don't want the breath.  They just lay beside them...usually back facing baby body to get the heat...and they are also very protective of babies.  

They have that 'sixth sense' that the baby is vulnerable.  Their parental instincts kick in...both the females and the males.  

The worst you have to worry about is that kitty won't like it when strangers come to see and hold your new baby unless you tell kitty 'it is ok...baby is safe.'  And yes they do understand us, even though they like to pretend they don't.