Cats Community
Cat is having diarrhea

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cat is having diarrhea

Hi everyone!

I have a question about my cat. Cat does not belong to any specific species. It is a female gender and is about 9 months old. Once (about three months ago she had a diarrhea and we we told to give a small peace of pill anti-parasites. It has worked. Unfortunately, when coming back home after Christmas, we took her back from the friends place and she was fine then, but later she started to have diarrhea once more. It is around 12 days right now since it has started. We have tried to keep her on water for maybe 12 hours, but in the morning she was so hungry that we gave her a bit of food. I am not sure, but once it seemed like there was a little bit of something red in her feces. My boyfriend says it is not necessarily blood but it was definitely red and not as stiff as feces. It was more like a liquid. We have given her a little bit of Smecta, but I was not sure how much, so we just gave maybe two tea spoons. She seems much more sluggish and slow. I am not sure if we should give a dose of this anti-parasites pill or no? Keep giving her food or stop for a while? Any special food? Do you think it is important and I should take her to the vet doctor?

Best Regards,
And I will be waiting for any replies!
please don't give your kitty smectra or anything else meant for human use unless directed to by a Vet...some can be harmful.

I really think you need to take some of her feces to a Vet clinic and get it checked once again for a parasite, don't give medication unless you are sure she has this...so get it checked.

and Please don 't withhold food and water from her, this can also be very harmful..and will not solve her problem.

is she an outdoor kitty? or strictly indoors?
what type of food is she on? have you changed this recently?

Hi!

I have never taken my cat to a Vet clinic despite the first time when we found her and we wanted to check if she is healthy. Vet doctor made all the vaccines needed, made a passport and put in a microchip. That is the reason why I was not sure if actually I can take feces just like that to the Vet or not. But thank you, I think I will do that.
When it comes to food, so we were basically giving her dry food (it's called "Perfect-fit IN-HOME"). However, there was some change for her. You see, we went with my boyfriend for Christmas home and we have asked friends to take care of her. We have bought food (dry and wet) and as far as I understood they have finished dry food and for a week or so they were giving only wet food, which I personally think isn't good. Even though we told them if they need some more food we will give the money back when we will get back here, but they kept feeding her with this wet food. And do you think it might be the reason of the food change that she has diarrhea?
The kitty is actually outdoors. We have found her when she was 1,5 month old in the tree. She was meowing a lot because she couldn't get out from a tree, so we kind of saved her and she has followed us to the place we live :) So I would say she was outdoor kitty, but now she is indoors. We let her sometimes to the balcony, once in summer on the field.

Thank you very much for your answer and sorry for the mistakes I have done, but I am not from English speaking country :)
you do just fine with your English!!
since she is now mainly indoors I rather doubt she has a parasite....I suspect its the change in food. Wet diet is absolutely the very best for kitty and her health HOWEVER when the change is done suddenly than it will cause a gastric upset....were they buying canned CAT food or where they feeding her some human food b/c they ran out? she could have had something that really didn't agree with her..
is she back home now and back on DRY food? if it was a diet problem than the diarrhea should stop as soon as she was back eating her own regular food...
The thing is, that she eats her regular dry food for 14 days now, but she still has diarrhea. Maybe not that watery feces, but still it is not the normal ones. Two days ago she was really slow and so on but yesterday and today she seems fine so she gets back to normal.
I don't really know what is wrong with her little stomach. Her behavior is fine, she goes up to 2-3 times to toilet and so it isn't that often as when she once had real diarrhea. Then she was pooping every 10 minutes.

I think I will have to call Vet doctor and ask or make an appointment that I would come with a sample of her feces because today I saw again that red thing but have no idea what that is.
yes I do think its a good idea for your kitty to see a Vet, and be sure to take a sample of the feces that has this 'red thing' included, so the Vet knows exactly what is wrong and can treat accordingly.
best of luck, and let us know how you both make out ok♥
Hello again,

I wanted to finally inform that we have tried to change the food and maybe that was the problem because so far so good. My cat feels better and I hope it is going to be that way.
Thank you very much for your help and time! :)
good...just do all food changes slowly or there is always going to be a GI upset. try to transition her to wet food but very slowly..she'll be healthier. If you see that red thingy again, take that in a clean jar along with the feces and get it tested, could well be a parasite, but you have to treat with the proper medication for the particular parasite....and only a lab can tell you what you are dealing with. good luck. keep us posted :)