Cat is unbalanced when walking/sometimes standing
Our vet can not see our cat until tomorrow - hoping that someone might know something on the subject. Our female cat, Ella, is a 7 year old Calico.  Just last night she was walking like someone that has too much alcohol to drink.  Balancing over to the left when walking, some swaying to the left when standing, and when jumping up on the bed she lost her balance a little.  She is not falling over.  She's otherwise acting pretty normal - appetite is good, pretty sure she's using the litter box, purring, her pupils don't look dilated.  I don't think that there is anything that she got into and because she's very fussy about her food, can't imagine that would be it.  The only thing that was unusual is that she stayed in our bedroom last night on the floor of the foot of the bed and meowed a bit more than she normally does during the night.  She usually has run of the rest house at night with our male cat (side note: they adore each other and do their "kitty wrestle mania" on a daily basis (maybe she hurt her leg during one of their bouts?). She has always walked with a sassy swinging of the hips. She's a little crazy as it is (our vet "says that she's not wired right")
but she is one of the sweetest cats I have ever known.

Please let me know if anyone has experienced anything like this.

Thank you!
possible ear infection?  That will make the unbalance thing happen.  Did someone maybe cut her whiskers?  That too will do that so I hear.
I agree with the above post, that she may have an ear infection.  You may also want to ask for a urinalysis to check for excess protein in her urine-this will be the first test that'll show if the kidneys are starting to loose function.  Also, I'd get her thyroid checked and also check for diabetes.

Or, it can be a simple strained muscle or a possible hip problem.

Let us know how everything goes!  It might help ya to write a list of some of the tests that we've listed and see how your vet feels about them.
Thank you both so much for your help.  Ella seems much better today, but she will still see the vet tomorrow and I will definitely her ask about the tests.
Glad to help......ANY time!!  Glad to hear kitty's feeling better today!!  :D   Please give us an update!!!

Good Luck!
Ella Update:  The vet saw her last Friday checked her ears, her eyes - did not think it was anything neurological.  She felt her legs and hips and thought maybe it was a sprain.  Doc gave her some liquid type asperin (we also have gave it to her Sat & Sun and today) that seemed to really help, however she is more unbalanced again today like she was before we called the vet. Our vet is mobile; I don't know if that is why she didn't run any tests on her - maybe she thought she would see if a sprain was the problem.  We are going to keep an eye on her and call the vet tomorrow.  Thanks.
Thanks for the update!  I hope they figure out what's wrong soon!  I would push for some tests, though, if you can do it.

Good luck!
what happened with your cat? i took mine to the vet yesterday for the same thing. had bloodwork and examined eyes, ears, and hips etc. vet thinks a sprain also, but the cat isnt doing well. he stays close to the ground and lists to the right when walking. he is also very slow as opposed to his usuall hyper self.please get back to me if you have any ideas...im worried. ***@****