Cat licking fur off
My cat is licking his fur off.  Is it an allergy?

hi....I am copying and pasting a reply I gave recently to another poster...yes it sure can be allergies...to food or chemicals in the home or the litter even. read all this info than repost and tell me what you are feeding. stop use of all cleaning chemicals in your home, especially ones at floor level..

copied from a previous post:

sorry for your poor little kitty, imagine how irritating this is to her. actually its pretty common, we hear alot of similar complaints here on the forum, and yur Vet is right in thinking its allergies...
I haven't heard of them being attributed to laminate flooring before, but it is possible, b/c that too would be full of chemicals. you are right to start eliminating dry sheets and cleaners...good start. what abt the litter you use? is it also unscented? can you try some more natural litter rather than the clay and a chemical(forget the name) thats in it that makes it clump...dont try any that claim to be 'natural' yet have heavy pine scents. a good one that many are happy with is by Dr. Elseys Precious Cat...preferably the SENIOR which supposedly is chemical free. or you can try paper pellets...or beads if kitty will use.

And what are you feeding? this type of allergy is either food related or environmental. if you are feeding dry kibble, this is full of grains(common allergy) and chemical/preservatives. I would try a canned food, preferably one with NO grains...avail at good pet stores. make the transition from dry to cans slowly so you don't cause kitty to have diarrhea. also try one thats not chicken(or chicken based) b/c chicken is another common allergen with cats...they have an over exposure to it b/c most foods have chicken base in them..

with people our allergies manifest themselves usually as respiratory...cats its always the skin..so we are on the right tract it just may take a process of change to find out the culprit.

use some good Omega 3 supplements. such as Krill Oil...one without any soy, salt or sugar....pierce capsule and squirt into kitties mouth 1 every second day. don't put in the food, b/c cats HATE the taste.

and NO more steroids. these only mask the problem, they may stop the itches for awhile but the are NO cure....and will lead to many other health issues for kitty such as diabetes.

more articles to read. however if at all possible when you try a new food find one that is canned but carbohydrate free...meaning NO grains, grains especially corn are often the culprit.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2117&aid=142

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2117&aid=140