Cats Community
Cat licking herself raw.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cat licking herself raw.

my cat keeps on licking her stomach and leg intill there is no fur there.
how do you get them to stop?  
She started to do this when we got her fixed.  She started to get an attitude towards everyone.  Please help.
I will send you a LONG link to reading from our archives and you'll see this is a very common problem. many contributing factors involved. read thru it especially the bottom more recent posts....there are alot of useful tips but alot of misinformation too..so don't follow all the recommendations.

I will tell you that this problem is due to stress or allergies..(inhaled, ingested or enviromental) it can range anywhere from the chemicals you use in your home..stop all sprays and candles, cleaners etc. to the food she is eating...especially food with GRAINS and dry food with lots of preservatives. OR a flea bite, doesn't need to have fleas..just exposure to one bite will cause this sensitivity. OR contact with something especially the LITTER you are using. try as close to a natural litter as possible, NON scented.
Try some Omega3 fatty acids in the food, if its a dry skin issue this will help.
It can be stress related to the Vet visit, in this case it should stop on its own shortly.
Do NOT use STEROIDS or antinflammatory meds like most Vets prescribe, this is only a temporary fix and can lead to many other health problems.
If all else fails have her tested for Hyperthyroidism or an urinary tract infection....these will also cause a cat to lick especially around the belly and hind legs..

so bottom line is read the posts on this link. try changing the litter and adding Omega3's.
stop dry food feed 'grainless' can food.... You should soon see a difference if that is going to help.
Post again and tell us how she is doing and if you need more suggestions I can send you more links to additional information.
Its NOT that your kitty has an attitude to everyone...she is suffering right now emotionally or physically and we just need to find out WHY...good luck.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Cat-licking-her-hair-off---allergies-or-stress/show/146
slaytheday My Spike & Sookie completel... Comment
1 hr ago
jugglin commented on Shannon79's status
10356, and jugglin commented on stilltrying1965's status