Cats Community
Cat scratches bald patches in his skin, what do I do?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Lately my kitten has been scracthing a lot around her neck and ears. He has scratched the fur out in some areas where the hair is now missing. This was noticed a few days after applying flea medication on him. Could this have irritated his neck? Then my cat scratched a big "hole" on his neck where the application was applied. The vet gave him a steriod shot and some oral antibiotics to help with infection, they said it could be allergies and for me to change the food. I was feeding him Wellness, different flavors, but now only Wellness kitten formula (my cat is 4 months old). He has stopped scratching and his hair started to grow back. I am not sure if it was the shot, the food change or the antibiotics that helped.

Now my cat has recently scratched a big patch of fur off of his ear. It didnt bleed, but its very red and irritated. When taken to the vet, he was given a topical cream, but no diagnosis. They tested for ear mites and yeast in his ears but results came back negative.  Since then he still scatched and more hair is missing from behind his ear.

Is there anything I can do to stop him from scratching when I am not around. He is the cutest cat , but is becoming very unattractive because of all the missing patches. ANy recommendations? I feel so bad that he scratches and has to be scolded when caught scratching.
oh please DO NOT SCOLD the poor little guy, this is something he cannot help, no more than you can when you have an itch.
It could well be a reaction to the flea treatment, remember this is a pesticide thats used in these treatments and its harsh.

Did he actually have fleas that you saw before you applied the flea medication?
If there were fleas he could well have flea bite dermatitis.

I will send you another similar post, read the links that are provided there than return and tell us what you think....I hope we can give you some help.
I would be very reluctant to redo any steroid shots, this can lead to diabetes and many other health problems, lets try to solve this some other way ....

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/cat-licks-fur-from-neck/show/1462092

when he scratches in my presence I  tell him "no", he immediately stops. Id rather try to stop him when I am able to, then to let him scratch his hair out and have open sores.I have never seen an actual flea on him, I took him to the vet as soon as I adopted him and was told there was flea dirt present. For the past 3 months I have been treating my enviornment.

I thought it was the medication, but when I metioned this to my vet she said it was highly unlikely. I still think the flea medication has somthing to do with it because of the location of the medication.

I found these "fake nails" to put on kittens, to prevent scratching. Do you think this would be a good idea to put these on his back nails?
yes the fake nails are a good choice to try, they do need to be replaced every month or so b/c kitty's own nails grow and these will fall off....

kitty does NOT have to have fleas on her. IF SHE WAS EVER BIT BY A FLEA SHE COULD HAVE FLEA BITE DERMATITIS .....or an allergy to fleas.

but yes she could also have an allergy to an ingredient in the flea treatment....

telling him NO, will only stop the action when you are around,its NOT solving the problem is it, and if kitty starts to become STRESSED out in your presence that will only make the problem worse.....he can't help himself, this itch is making him very uncomfortable.

Are you able to get some Omega3 fatty acids? you can buy these at a vitamin/herb supply store(human) they will help his skin condition alot.....
-there are several brands that are safe for cats....MUST NOT HAVE SOY
-Carlson Labs, Nordic Naturals, and Vital Choice.

I am sending you 2 documents. on this first one read page 5. where indeed it list 'severe skin reactions' including chemical BURNS after use and they recommend not to come into contact with the skin and suggest bathing...use only a gentle baby shampoo if you do this.

http://www.apnm.org/publications/resources/fleachemfin.pdf

http://www.bayerdvm.com/Resources/Docs/AdvantageTopicalMSDS.pdf

alot of holistic cat people have had good success using this product, its a light that 'attracts fleas and than they drown' its a safer alternative to rid the house of fleas.
WHAT ARE YOU NOW TREATING THE HOUSE WITH? IT COULD BE ALSO CAUSING HER SKIN IRRITATION.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2PBMWUR66R7JQ/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1

I hope this helps the poor little girl, poor baby it must be terribly irritating.♥
HERES SOMEMORE READING, this ones about FLEA ALLERGIES and has some good photos

http://www.fecava.org/files/EJCAP%2019-3%20p%20249_253_Noli.pdf
Hi Opus

Thank you for the links. I think i may purchase that "flea light" just to see if fleas are present in my home. Although, when I looked at the reactions from flea bites on that last site you posted, my cats areas do not look like any of those pictures, I checked his skin and there is no bite marks that I can see. So I do not think what he has could be a reaction from a flea bite (I may be totally wrong).

I have been using a flea and tick spray every two weeks and vaccuming all furniture carpeting and bedding once a week.

This weekend I will go look for the omega 3. Today actually he was just neutured so I dont think I will give anything to him until about two weeks from now. He is in a E-collar so for the next 7-10 days he wont be able to scratch his neck or ears. I will keep applying the topical medication and his hair should start growing back.

I will continue to only feed him (his name is Blu) Wellness kitten formula (wet) and the Wellness kitten dry food, just to see if it was the variety of Wellness that was causing the reaction. I am also thinking of changing his cat litter to one without sent and dust like World's best brand, just in case the dust is effecting him. But if it was the dust, why is he scratching only around his neck and ears?

I will keep you posted. Thanks again!