Cats Community
Cat sneezing for days

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cat sneezing for days

My 4 year old indoor cat is sneezing constantly. She won't stop and I can't figure out if it is something I need to take her to the vet for or not. Her eyes are not watering, she does not have any mucus coming out of her nose and she otherwise seems like her normal self (although a bit needier and clingy). She's been sneezing for three days straight. The only change has been that we've had a ton of company over and I've been cleaning almost constantly with cleaning products (it is possible then that she is allergic to it? but then again, we've put her downstairs when we've cleaned upstairs and vice versa ). Should I wait it out? Should I take her to the vet? (our vet charges high fees just to inspect her so I try to avoid it if it is something that will run its course).
I would say your cat sneezing for 3 days tells me that it's time for a vet visit.  I wouldn't assume it's allergies.  Allergies usually don't show up out of the blue in a 4 yr old kitty.  How high are your vet fees?  Mine is around $40.  If you're paying much more than that, it's time to find a new vet.
What a coincidence,  this is the time of the year when my husband starts to sneeze like crazy.  It may just be allergies but if you feel better taking her to the vet and have her assessed then...good. If you'd rather wait, try to search online for things that can cause allergies in cats. You'll see weather changes is one of them. Also, sprays and cleaning products can cause allergies. Have you tried researching online for cats common allergies?

Oh, and certain bugs or live......agents.....(like fleas) can cause allergies. Not saying your cat has fleas....just saying you might want to double check :)

Good Luck.
Hmmm..that is interesting about the fleas. I never bother to check since she is a purely indoor cat, but you never know!
I am getting worried and may take her in..but then again, an assessment costs 100.00. That is the going rate around here and that is before any medicine, etc. Not that I don't love the cat to spend the money...but if I can figure out how to avoid going by making her better I am all for it :)
You've got to be freaking kidding me!!!!  $100?????????????  Where are you from?  That is ridiculous!  You need to call around.  Seriously, that is just flat out crazy!  =(
I am pretty much in the middle of nowhere in a small town in Canada..thus the prices they can charge :(
OHHHHH, that would explain the obnoxious $100 vet fee.  There's another member on here from Canada that told me how high a trip to the vet is.  I can't get over how high the prices are up there!!!  =(  How interesting-you guys have better human health care than the US does, yet your vet fees are ridiculous.  Totally opposite of the US.!!
Since you had just cleaned when she started doing this I'd venture a guess that it is the cleaning products. I know that stuff can get to me to when I'm breathing it in! Try to air out the house real well and keep an eye on her.
I have a cat who gets allergies where she'll sneeze but it seems to only be certain times of the year. I'd keep an eye on it and if she doesn't get better in a few more days you may want to bring her in.
Now my cat is sneezing less...but still sneezing now and again so I am not sure what to think. She seems normal otherwise (hard to tell if she is having extra cat naps since she is a cat who snoozes). Maybe it was the cleaning products? If it is an infection, what would be the chances only she would have it and not my other cat? They both hang out together and both are indoor cats.....
Honestly, I have not heard of infections causing sneezing that are contagious, other than a virus or a bacteria, and that condition usually comes with coughing, fever etc. Your cat does not have a cold. It could also be, like April said, cleaning products or......sometimes the litter. Have you tried a different litter?

You did mention your cleaning the house a lot. That might have done it right there. Give her a little more time, and of course, wait for her symptoms to vanish to use those products :) I'd do that!

Yes, it might be the plan to wait to see if it was the cleaning products. No new litter lately...but maybe she got some of the litter or dust in her nose?
Oh no! So, I thought she was sneezing less and I was going to avoid the vet...then today, she sneezed all over the place and there was yellow mucus (sorry if it is TMI). Sigh. I am going to watch her- if she does it again, then I'll have to take her in. Maybe she needed to clear out whatever was in there once and for all but now it is looking like some sort of infection.
Use of certain cleaning products can irritate the respitory system and lead to a respitory infection. I would say it is possible kitty is going to need that vet visit if it hasn't cleared up in the next day or two.

In the future, there are safe products you can use that are pet friendly that will prevent possible problems from cropping up.
I agree with Savas - if it hasn't cleared up take your cat into the vet.  We have a cat (Roxy) who sneezes too, but this is normal for her and we think she's allergic to other cats - LOL!!!!

Good luck and let us know what you find out!  

Hugs,
Janet
Hey everyone, I booked a vet visit for Thurs. I can't get over the fees, but I do love my cat, so I want the best...just crazy. It'll end up costing close to 200.00 with the consult and the antibiotics...but if it makes her better, it's worth it.
If your cat is sneezing up mucous, then you need to get to the vet.  I am glad Zodiacs cost is only $40.   But mine is up there too with yours...   $125 just for a basic physical.

Cats can catch cross contagiouns from ppl,  the flu, sinus infection, intestinal viruses, etc.

If your cat is sneezing and coughing up green or yellow mucous or mucous at all, you need to her to the vet.
The odd thing is, after she sneezed out the mucus, she seems 100% better! As if it was something in her nose irritating her. But, I am still taking her in tomorrow to get her checked out. I'd hate to think that she had an infection and I ignored it.
Here is the update: Took her to the vet and they took her temp and checked her totally over..and she's fine. They think it could have been an allergic reaction or maybe some sort of virus that worked its way out of her system. They said if she sneezes again (especially mucus) to come back in and get antibiotics. So...I guess it was worth checking out, but I feel kind of silly going and spending money for a "check up"!