Cats Community
Cat vomiting

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cat vomiting

Fed my cat fancy feast salmon canned food last night.  About 20 minutes after eating it, he threw up twice.  Today he threw up another three times and looks very sick.  His eye look sick and he just lays there.  Does anyone know if there are any recalls on fancy feast canned salmon food?  I am wondering if he has food poisoning.
No idea about a recall, but it sounds like it is time to visit the vet!
yeah def take the baby to the vet! maybe it upset his tummy or it could be something wrong with the food.

how is he today?
I agree, kitty must be taken to the vet. I'd stop Fancy Feast as your kitty can't really tolerate it. Do you feed him something else besides that? Have you changed his diet lately? Any other symptoms that you've noticed? I do know of cats who vomit on these foods. When my cat was 4 months old, I gave him Fancy Feast but it made him bleed through the rectum. Turns out he can't really tolerate these commercial foods.

Keep him hydrated. Use an eye dropper or syringe and provide water. Vomiting causes dehydration which can lead to horrible consequences. I'd quit Fancy Feast for good and switch him to other foods. Try Wellness or Natural Balance, see what happens. These foods are grain free, which could be what's causing your cat to vomit. Could be..

Good Luck!
Ended up taking Garrett to the vet at 1:00 a.m. April 1st.  He was a very sick cat and needed IV fluids.  His temp was 106.  His blood work revealed high bilirubin, so the vet said it was probably hepatitis.  He gave him a pain/fever shot and an antibiotic.  The fever shot brought his fever down to 104.  He was still sick in the morning, so I took him back into the vet April 1st at 2:00 p.m.  Again, he needed IV fluids and a new antibiotic shot.  He had a x-ray which revealed only a big gas bubble.  The vet said that his lungs were crackling, but the x-ray revealed that they looked clear.  He is feeling much better now and interacting with us.  Before he found a corner and just hid himself.  He is on an antibiotic for a week now and has a followup appointment in three weeks to make sure that his blood levels are normal.  Scary, when pets get sick and you do not know how they feel.  I knew he was very sick, because of the way he acted so letharic.  Hopefully, he will make a full recovery now.  Thanks for your concern.

Deb  
I called Fancy Feast (Purina) to let them know what had happened after I fed Garrett the Salmon canned Fancy Feast food.  They said that there were no recalls on any Purina products.  They took down all the information and apologized for what had happened to Garrett.  They were extremely sympathic.  Not sure if it truly was the food, but he was sick about 10 to 20 minutes after eating it and was acting completely normal before.  He has been eating about a can of Fancy Feast daily for two years.  I have tried other foods such as organic Newman's canned food.  He doesn't like it as well and seems to always leave some behind which gets thrown out.  Garrett's salt levels were still normal, but on the high side of normal, so I will again search for some healthier canned food for him.  We have two cats that must have canned food everyday and two cats that hate canned food.  Thanks for your comment.  
It was a good thing that I took Garrett to the vet as his fever was so high and he need IV fluids.  Thanks for your comment.  
Encephalomalcia,

I'm glad you got to talk to them. In the case of my cat, I never called them. I don't really think people actually call the company, and if they do, of course, the company will not tell you. Here is one of the many links you can find online about this food:

'Supermarket brands like Friskies, Fancy Feast and Whiskas are at the lower end of the cat food price spectrum. Pet owners posting to discussion groups rave about how their cats gobble up these products, but they are only rarely mentioned when experts are asked to recommend the best cat foods. A glance at the food labels shows that many -- but not all -- varieties of these foods are loaded with undesirable ingredients such as meat by-products, grains and glutens. This is a far cry from the type of diet reviews say cats need. Most pet nutrition experts say the best cat foods are brands that are formulated to replicate a raw food diet and meet higher nutritional standards.'

Source: www.consumersearch.com

A vet on CNN asked cat owners to NOT feed your cat any brand of cat food with wheat gluten in it (Fancy Feast has it) You can look it up if you'd like.

Overall, consumers and vets agree that Fancy Feast isn't really safe to give cats. However, though, and this is what your cat may be going through, some cats will vomit when fed ANY wet foods.

Well, you know your cat better than us. I hope he gets better, and goes back to his normal self.
Personally, I will never recommend any Purina product but it's just because my cat was harmed by it. I wouldn't recommend something that almost gave my cat cancer. But, if your kitty's sign has little to do with the food then I guess it's a good thing he can tolerate it, right?

Good Luck.
I'm glad you got Garret into see a vet.  Poor guy.  Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery
As much as I dislike Fancy feast i doubt the illness was caused by that can you fed him.

Likely he'd picked up the illness some time ago and was having his first episode regardless. Don't feel to bad. It's possible you got him with this illness and it was just dormant all this time.
When he was fixed, his blood work was tested and all was normal except for malnutrition.  The hepatitis that he has comes from either food, worms, our cats, virus or bacteria.  I was thinking of the food because before he ate it he was perfectly normal.  Ten to twenty minutes after eating the food he was vomiting over and over and lethargic.  I will not feed salmon to my cats in the future, just in case that is what caused it.  He is feeling better now with the antibiotics and is acting totally normal.  He has follow-up blood work in three weeks, as this hepatitis can be a lfietime problem.  I hope his bloodwork is normal and the bilirubin is down in three weeks.  
OMG, my cat Anuck is having the same problem.  I never thought it could be the Fancy Feast (Salmon is his favorite).  He was vomiting a lot, lethargic, and in pain.  Took him to our vet on Saturday (yesterday) who took xrays showing air in stomach with inflamation (inflammation).  She gave him a shot to help stop the vomiting and antibiotics and so far everthing he has been given comes back up.  He is going back to the vet tomorrow morning and I am printing up your post and taking it with me.
Oh my gosh!! My pickiest cat, Butters, refuses any salmon flavored food. He won't even eat fresh salmon. Best thoughts for your cat. I've had my other cat, Bob, have an episode of vomiting but it cleared right up w/in a few hours and we surmised he ate a bug or something like that. Since he's beyond nosy and will eat anything made of crackly plastic we're beyond anal about keeping the house clean of that type of item so a bad choice in bug-eating was all we could come up with for our episode.Hoping yours has a complete recovery, and quickly!!