Cats Community
Cats Fixed

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cats Fixed

I just got both of my cats fixed yesterday - one is a male & the other a female. The male is about 4 months old and he seems great after the surgery - acting completely normal and doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. The female has always been very standoff-ish and has an attitude. After the surgery she was obviously still a bit loopy from the medication but she seems to be more miserable than ever. She growls whenever I go anywhere near her - I haven't even been able to check her incision. The vet told me to put an e-collar (the cone) on her but that looks like it isn't going to happen since I can't even approach her. She doesn't seem to be trying to lick anywhere near her incision so is the collar completely necessary? Also - she likes to climb onto the counters and all the way up on top of the upper kitchen counters - this seems to be her private space. Is it ok if she climbs up there? She did it once and seemed fine but I'm worried she will tear her incision if I keep letting her up there (not that I could stop her since if I try to grab her she goes nuts and gets aggressive). Should I blame this on her being in pain and just trying to heal? Will her attitude improve over then next couple of weeks?
no a collar certainly isn't necessary unless she is licking the area alot an its becoming inflamed.
I would think her change in attitude is due to trauma and some pain and should become herself in a day or two, if not I would contact the Vet.
Is she still eating and drinking as usual?
She really shouldn't be jumping up and running around for a few days....however I've had many who do and don't cause any damage to the incision...just try and get close enough to her to try and have a look by tomorrow(hopefully she'll be more settled by than)
Please let us know how she makes out ok, or post again even if you have more questions.
‚ô•Opus
Ditto what Opus says.  I've had cats who jumped off the refrigerator after being spayed with  no ill effects.  You just want to be sure she hasn't gone somewhere and chewed the stitches off.  (I had one girl who needed to be resutured with steel wire stitches because she chewed hers off twice!)  The growling is doubtless because she feels sore and disoriented and wants to protect herself.  She should come around in a few days.
zodiacqueen is worried about Jade? Any... Comment
dominosarah commented on Feels like life is ov...
Corriel commented on Corriel's status