Cats Community
Cats peeing all over house - behavioral

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cats peeing all over house - behavioral

My family has had 2 male cats for about 12 years.  When we got them initially we had a female golden Retriever who was very mellow.  She passed away a little over a year ago, and this August we got a one-year old, male Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab mix who is extremely high-strung.  Also since the summer, due to declining health of some family members, my immediate family simply has not been around the house as much to spend time with our animals.

Since we got the new dog, our cats have peed all over our house, but specifically in the kitchen and my parent's bedroom and it seems to be in the very early hours of the morning.  We took them to the vet and they couldn't find any health problems with them.

We know that the cause of this is due to the recent stress/neglect that they've undergone.  My question is how do I stop it?  I've read about Feliway, Cat Attract Littler, and simply spending more time with them, but I wanted to know if there was anything else we could try.

My parents wanted to give them away, but no one would take them.  They're now ready to take the next step and put these two guys down.  They're perfectly healthy in a physical sense and I don't want to see them killed, but my parents can't allow them to keep peeing all over the house.
This makes me so sad. These cats need your help to solve this problem. It's possible they have urinary tract infections. Have they been checked by a vet recently?

Just because your parents don't have the time for them, that's not a good reason to put down a healthy animal. They're counting on you, the owners, to provide for them.

If you don't want them, bring them to a no-kill animal shelter. That's the LEAST you can do for them.
These senior kitties are probably stressed over the rambunctious golden retriever.  It is not fair to put these senior kitties through this stress.  This is a very sad situation, and to be honest, not fair at all to these poor cats.  They were there first, so if anyone should go, it should be the dog.  Once doggy goes, then the cats will stop urinating in the house.
I agree that the cats are stressed.   Is their litter box in an area that is safe from the new dog so that the dog won't be able to intrude into their space when using the litter box?   Can you put a litter box in or near your parents' bedroom for  a few days to see if that would stop them from going on the floor?  

Also make sure the litter box is big enough and in a quiet area where the dog can't go.
Please surrender them to a no kill shelter if you really can't solve the problem.

Is there a way to completely separate them from the dog? For instance put a baby gate up in the kitchen so that only the kitties can go in there. That way they will feel safe. Also, make sure that the cat pee gets cleaned up very well. They will go back to a spot that they peed in once over and over again if they can still smell it. The best thing to use to clean this up is vinegar and baking soda. One of our cats stopped eating all of her food once we got the dog so we feed her in the bathroom alone. She eats all her food now and has gained some weight. She knows no one can bother her and feels comfortable. It's not fair to put down the cats when they were there first.
https://www.geturinegone.com/?rtag=urinegone&

This stuff works!

Sprayed it on the subfloor of Miss Teia's closet (when we got the carpet changed out) and after treatment she was unsure of where she was by smell.