Cats Community
Chemotherapy for my cat?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Chemotherapy for my cat?

My 14 1/2 yr old cat has a tumor on her lip that was diagnosed as a salivary adnocarcinoma (cancer).  Biopsy results also showed it in her lymph nodes, but further tests show it's not anywhere else.
I was told my options were surgery with chemo/radiation or just chemo.  I don't think surgery is a good idea b/c of her age and she has diabetes.  Also a big chunk of her lip would need to be removed which might interfere with eating or grooming.
The dr gave the option of a chemo pill 3/week, but he cannot say how effective or how long I am prolonging her life b/c its such a rare cancer and there are not any studies on the effectiveness.  
What do I do?  
Tags: feline chemotherpay, feline cancer, adnocarcinoma, Chemotherapy
hi and welcome, I am very sorry to hear about your dear kitty...this is such a terrible decision to try to make, I'm afraid I can't offer you any personal experience or suggestions. I will send you a site that may lead you to some answers. if I find more I will send them along later too. good luck and best of our wishes to kitty and you on your journey. please update us on what you decide....♥

http://www.zzcat.com/resources/treatment.htm

found this also...

http://www.vetinfo.com/csqucell.html
Thanks so much.  I have done much research and I think I am just going to leave the cancer be.  The Dr even said this is a hard one and there is no right or wrong answer.  She also was recently diagnosed w/diabetes, which means she may not recover from surgery.  She is not eating well as it is and I don't want to upset her anymore.  I need to take her back to the vet as I don't think she is doing well on this insulin.  She was a happy, eating cat before this.  Now she is skinny.  I am really at a crossroads as to what to do.

My cat Maxwell will be three in May.  I really didn't notice it at first, the constant licking, but I did notice the constant hairballs every week or so, then I saw how he had licked off the fur on his legs, this was last summer when he was two.  I was working from home when I got Maxwell in 2008, so he and I are always around each other, and he sleeps with me.  When I go to my Lake place he goes with and doesn't mind the travel.  I also have two Samoyeds that play with him and an older cat, Boomer, who has bonded with him.  I read all the threads, and I have consistently used Tidy Cat, so not sure why that would be the problem now.  He has either Purina or Kibbles and Bits.  I did try one of the science diet or natural ones, and he almost chocked on the nuggets I returned it to Pet Smart.  If I put my hand on him when he is licking, he will lick my hand.  He also likes a robe of mine that I sleep in during the winter, and I am like his mom, if you know what I mean.  He also ***** on the blanket when I go to summer PJ's.  I have looked for fleas, but none, and he has always been an indoor cat.  My dogs don't go in the yard either and I use Frontline on them.  I am on Social Security now and really can't affort the vet bill, so am looking for answers here on this blog.  Someone I know recommended Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy, but I don't know anything about this.  Any help or comments would be appreciated.
hi Martha welcome to you and the kitties to our cat community, I hope we can be of some help to you.
first of all on this forum to ask a 'new question'  click on the big orange button on the top of the forum that says ' post a question' this way it will start a new topic and not get buried under old posts as your did this time.....after you've asked your question than others will reply and this way we stay on topic....no harm done, just easier to find that way.

over grooming is usually due to allergies, can be contact allergies..and the back legs are mostly incontact with -litter or carpets. change the brand of litter you are using and be sure its NON scented.
If you use cleaners on the floors....stop and use natural products for cleaning such as vinegar.
try a different laundry soap(since you say he spends alot of time on the bed)...and NO dryer sheets....try the dryer balls..less chemicals.

also stop feeding kibble, its loaded with chemicals/preservatives b/c over grooming can also be an ingested allergy.
try can foods even if it has to be the cheaper ones, and best NOT chicken for now, since chicken is at the base of most pet foods it therefore also makes it a common allergy from over use.
It would be best if you fed a NON GRAIN food b/c again grains typically are common in allergies....even the cheaper Fancy Feast Classic is grain free..
Science Diet isn't a great food, not really any better than Fancy Feast. you can find other foods that aren't necessarily in nugget form.

Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy(homeopathy) is mostly used for stress and to calm a kitty down, by the sound of it your kitty appears not to be high strung. It is used before a road trip or Vet visit. I can send you a link on where to purchase is you should ever need. iherb ships for $4.

http://www.iherb.com/Bach-Original-Flower-Essences-Rescue-Remedy-Pet-10-ml-0-35-fl-oz-Dropper/10604?at=0

I would also start adding some Omega3 fish oils to kitties food, just a small amount...this is good for dry skin. the best one on the market is krill oil, but my cats hate the taste of, so I have to pierce the capsule and squirt a little each week into their mouths....they WILL gag and spit!!

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Neptune-Krill-Oil-500-mg-60-Softgels/14424?at=0

good luck, and post again anytime if we can help....♥