Cats Community
Crystals

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Crystals

Hi, about a year ago my daughters cat had a UTI with crystals, she was given antibiotics and he has been fine.
Now he is doing the same thing again, he goes to litter box alot of times but does not urinate.  She took him to the vet and he gave him more antibiotics, he seemed to be getting better but now he is going to the box alot again and it has only been a week since he went to the vet,

Does anyone have any Info or has this happened to you?  She does not have much money and the last visit was $220.  He also had a fever the first time he went to vet.
so sorry for kitties problems, UTI with crystals can potentially be a life threatening problem, the tiny crystals can plug off the urethra making it impossible for the urine to pass and the bladder will burst.
the biggest culprit is grain based kibble. grains and plant matter contribute to alkaline urine while meat will promote a slightly acidic urine.
Dry food contains only 10% moisture, and cats cannot drink enough to make up the deficit.
therefore they are chronically dehydrated and their urine is very concentrated.
IN the wild cats prey(mice) contain 75% moisture the same % as canned commercial cat food.....
It is very important you be giving you cat canned food also important that the brand NOT contain any grains, since your kitty already has FLUTD. these foods are avail through a pet store but NOT  through a Walmart or grocery store, they will cost a little more but you will save on future Vet bills.
also make sure kitty has plenty of fresh water avail at all times.
Antibiotics will cure the infection but will have NO effect on crystals, these are eliminated by diet only.

some of the grainless brands of food are EVO by INNOVA -
WELLNESS, NATURES VARIETY to name a few.

heres is a link to a great website on urinary tract health, click on some of the links on the right hand side for further interesting reading. good luck, please post a question or an update on kitty anytime, we are happy to try to help.

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth
Hi, I have just been through this with my male cat.
I had to change his diet and stop feeding him dry food until i could find one that stops the crystals for forming. Also I added water to his wet food.
It might help I put my cat on a diet of only fresh meet like Kangaroo meat and chicken necks.
I hope your daughters cat gets better soon
Whiskey xo

I am a little worried, the first round of antibiotics did not work, he is still making lots of trips to the litter box.  Did you cat do that.

Yeah also my cat decided to try and go other places like behind the TV.
I would suggest to take away all dry food.  only feed fresh meat for about a week and then put back on wet food but the casserole type not the loaf.
I slowly reintroduced dry food but only the expensive type.
It does work and I haven't had any more problems with my cat.
whiskey, I'm sorry to tell you this but its not okay to ever go back to the dry food after an episode of crystals.....they aren't ever cured they are just managed and the only way to keep kitty clear is with a diet high in moisture, dry food only contains 10% moisture while cans contain 78%....theres NO way drinking alone can make up the difference.
You've maybe not been aware of further problems but that doesn't mean they aren't there and can rear their ugly head without any notice.
even a cheaper brand of can food is better that dry.
Read the full article by a very trusted Vet. who has done alot of research into food and nutrition...please.

Thank you for telling me . My vet did say it was ok to feed him on dry food again, but i will definitely read the article.
Sorry to hear your kitty has had problems, I understand how worrysome it can be and hope he is better soon!  

Sharing what I learned when our cat had some urinary problems a few years back. She had blood in her urine, we took her to the vet for testing including a full blood panel, urine testing and xray. They ended up gaving her a fluid IV and said to make sure she got enough fluids once home. I believe these steps helped her stay healthy:

1. Be sure your cat's litter box is big enough for him.  (For others with more than one cat, guidelines are to have one more box than you have cats. ie 3 boxes for 2 cats.)  We bought large plastic storage bins and cut a U-shaped doorway in the front. We put the litter in directly without a bag and then on every litter change, I sterilize the hard plastic with a spray.  I found this to be a more effective and thorough way to clean the box compared to the liner bags, which always ended up getting ripped by their nails. The cat with the problem was a lot more comfortable and didn't have to squat anymore when she urinated anymore because the side of the plastic bin is so tall.  

2. We read that a cats prefer a water source that is physically separated from their food, and they prefer searching out more than one water source.  We found this to be true. We started leaving water dishes in various rooms (bed stand, living room side table, office desk) for our cats and they drink very frequently from them. Their old water dish is still next to food dish but they almost never use that one.  I believe the extra water dishes were the biggest factor in helping her get better.

3. We changed their litter from a clumping clay-type litter to a natural corn based litter.  Wanted to make sure the chemicals in the clumping litter weren't irritating her in any way or affecting her health. Both cats took to the new litter right away!  and it's just as easy for us to clean up as the clumping type. A touch more expensive than clay stuff but well worth it for their health and also for the environment.

4. I realize this may sound a bit extreme, but we found it helpful..  Because we have 2 cats it was hard to tell who was doing what, so we hooked up a webcam over the food dish and litter box for a couple weeks. It was set up so that it only recorded when there was movement in its field of vision. Otherwise there was no way to make sure the sick cat was getting enough fluids and going to bathroom okay.

She got better quickly and the blood was gone from her urine within a few days.  Was very scary when it happened though!  We still keep an eye on her to make sure she drinks plenty of water.  No problems ever since.  Hope that is useful information to someone..

Good luck to you and your kitty!
I found blood in Whiskey's litter and then i took him to the vet. He stayed in there for 2 nights which nearly killed me. I have 3 water bowls around but he only drinks from one that I know of.
He is alot better now but the vet told me that it can back at any time

Great advice from Anuket!  

Whiskey, you might try putting the water in a cup or glass.  Cup is sturdier, naturally and a better choice.  Both my last cat and Jade were fascinated with my glass of water and always tried to drink out of it so I gave Jade her own cup and she went right for it.  Cup next to food, outside back door and in the back of our yard with water changed at Least once a day and sometimes twice in the Summer.  And don't forget all wet food which will hopefully eliminate another crystal scare.

I'm very happy to hear Whiskey is feeling better.  
Whiskey doesn't go near my drinks or anything. He is only eating wet food now I got rid of his dry food.
Our Kitty Benji has crystals, he had a catheter two weeks ago. We have changed his diet to the dry and wet C/D hills food and add water to his dry food. We also have 3 drinking sources around the house. Is it normal for a cat to pee only small amounts - smaller than a ping pong ball? We are use to Benji doing big pees.
hi and welcome, I am glad you came here so we can help advise you on what to feed your Benji before this blockage happens AGAIN.

I know your Vet put him on the C/D Hills prescription diet....
I hope this is the CANNED form???

the worst thing a cat with crystals can eat is dry food, no matter if its prescription food or not..still junk.

feed him ONLY canned wet food plus add even a bit more water to that, he needs tons of water to keep these crystals flushed out...and cats never drink enough....

no its not normal for him to be peeing only small amounts...cats normally do pretty large pees 2x's a day.

I will send you a site to read from an excellent Vet, read carefully wht she has to say abt nutrition, and the importance of a Canned carb free diet...good luck to Benji

http://www.catinfo.org/#Cystitis_