Declawed
We are looking to move into a new home. We called the Vet today about the boys and them scratching everything up despite having scratch pads in each room. There is a new procedure to get declawed-a laser procedure that supposedly is humane. Beener can even get declawed if he passes his old age testing. Has anyone heard of this? Thoughts?
They are healed in 2 days supposedly
http://www.healthypet.com/PetCare/PetCareArticle.aspx?title=Declawing
well as you all know I am against declawing.....however I do see there comes a time when there are no alternatives...if a cat is going to co-exist with us in our homes and is causing destruction..its got to be considered. bkitty the lazer declaw appears to be much more humane, there is still pain afterwards tho as it still removes bone as well as claw.
If I can offer any opinion it would be that perhaps your old boy Beener is the one you may consider not putting thru this.....just my opinion. b/c of his age and other issues it would be the hardest on him...
p.s. good luck on the new home hon:))
I agree. Beener is too old. Im still on the fence about this because some of my facebook friends have said that after they got their kitties declawed they started peeing everywhere. So I am just not sure. Im also worried about the pain afterwards too.
Have you tried the double sided tape on the kitties favorite places to scratch?  It was a huge deterrent for my kitties, just make sure you have plenty of Mommy approved places for kitty to scratch. :-)

I would never declaw. I would rather have healthy, happy kitties than perfect furniture. You can just throw a blanket over the couch or whatever. Declawing causes  a lot of pain, no matter how it is done, structural damage and psychological/behavioral problems. Not to mention the cat will not be able to defend if they need to do that. Try some new scratching posts in the new home, there is one online called the worlds best scratching post which is taller than the usual height which cats seem to like a lot.

Good luck.
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Worlds-Best-Scratching-Post-and-Perch
http://cats.about.com/od/declawing/tp/reasonsnot.htm
My whole life I've had cats and always had them declawed (also my mother has done the same) and never had any problems whatsover with behavior with my cats or my mom's cats and they have all been spoiled, happy kitties. But it's your call and your decision. No one should pressure you, either way. You have to go with what you are comfortable with and feel you can live wtih. Hope that helps!
I should probably add to that. If I was going to do declawing, I would probably do it as kittens. I do think doing it when they're older can make a difference and be harder on the cats. That is something to think about.
I think we are going to try new scratching posts first. I agree it should be done when they are babies. Elmo would be the only one that could get it done. My boys are just too old. Besides Elmo and Gizmo my boys are > 8yrs old up to 17yrs.
Be sure that whatever you give them to scratch does not resemble a couch or your rug.  In other words, get the scratching posts that are covered with rope or sisal, or are made of cardboard on end, nothing that is covered by carpeting or other fabric.  If a kitty thinks carpeting or fabric is fair game for scratching because you gave it to him on a post, it's pretty hard to blame him for thinking all similar material is fair game.