Cats Community
Digestive enzymes

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Digestive enzymes

Hey everyone..
11 month old kitty, Spook has had some issues with bouts of diarrhea (see my post 11 month old cat with bouts of diarrhea)I switched him over to Natural Balance LID in Duck & Pea(Has been on it now for almost a month) and he has been doing very well.However, He has in the past four days had a runny stool, next one in same day is normal.
He may then go a couple of days with very normal stools.
He is acting fine, running , playing, eating well, etc..no blood is in the stool, no vomiting.
I give him Probiotic miracle over his food and was wondering if perhaps a digestive enzyme would also be helpful?

I want to give this current hypo allergenic food a good two months to see if it helps and if not explore the possibilities that it could be something else instead of a possible food intolerance.

The only other things that he may possibly have are IBD or IBS, which with IBD it is an inflammatory condition that affects the colon, possibly leading to ulcers or other damage to the bowl and IBS does not cause inflammation.
I read that with IBD affecting the colon a high fiber diet has been helpful, but affecting the small intestine , low fiber diet, low fat and diets rich in Omegas have been known to be helpful.
Grains that are known to irritate the GI tract in cats with IBD are wheat, wheat germ, wheat gluten, barley, rye, oats and oatmeal.
I read that digestive enzymes can be beneficial for cats with IBS or IBD and am asking others opinions on this.
If so does anyone know of a good digestive enzyme that is lactose free, no additives and is without probiotics included since I have a full jar of probiotic Miracle?
Also I have read about L-Glutamine being beneficial...

I am going to not feed him the Natural Balance Duck & Pea LID in the can for a few days and see if perhaps the salmon oil in it could be the culprit and just stick with the Duck & Pea in the dry..

Any suggestions ???
My advice would be not to change anything else right now.  It sounds like your cat has been through a number of dietary changes already and that in itself could be a problem.  Since there seems to be some improvement with what you are currently doing, I would stick with that for at least a couple of months before changing anything else.  If he still has periodic bouts of diarrhea after a couple of months, then consider adding or changing something.  Changing too much too often doesn't give his systems a chance to adapt, may cause more problems than it solves, and makes it nearly impossible to determine what in all of that helps, and what makes it worse.
I agree..I think I need at least another month to determine if this food is helping and I do not plan on changing anything right now but this was merely for possible future reference..
The current changes were made only because of the diarrhea and at the advice/ok of my vet .