Cats Community
Does my cat have a broken jaw?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Does my cat have a broken jaw?

Last night I noticed after letting her inside that she may have broken her jaw. She at first let her jaw hang down and was not moving very well. I stayed up with through out the night. I didn't think she was going to live. She wouldn't open eyes or pick up her mouth. This morning she is now moving around but very slowly and not much But I have hope because I soon as went to touch her she begin to purr. I have her in a seperate room all by herself. I'm not for sure what to do with her though. I would love to take her to a vet, but I can't afford it. I know that sounds terrible. I do Love her and want her to live. But I'm not for sure how to care for her. I gave her water and food but she isn't eating or drinking She hangs her head down with her mouth slightly open. She seems to be breathing fine. But I have noticed she has trouble swolling It sounds more like a gulp. Does this sound like a broken jaw or something else? How do I feed and care for her?
Tags: cats
If she does have a broken jaw, you need to have the bone set.  THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN DO BY YOURSELF.
If her jaw is broken, she is not going to be able to use it effectively to chew or bite food.  You are going to have to hand feed and hand water her until you can get her to a vet and have her looked at.

Call your local vet and see if there are any low-cost animal hospitals in your area, or at the very least, ask if you can be billed for emergency care instead of paying immediately.  Explain the situation, that you have a cat with a broken bone and very little money to take care of it with.  See if they will help you or refer you to someone who can, but it is going to take some research on your part to find the people who will help you.

Check to see if she's feverish.  It sounds like a broken jaw, yes, but it could also be a snake/animal bite to the head or face (this possibility is remote).  Is her face swollen?  Is she having trouble breathing at all?

Please understand, I know you want to help your cat, but you must take this animal to a vet, even if that means you eat ramen noodles for a few days or go without some things - she's depending on you to care for her.  Point blank, with a broken jaw, this animal will be unable to eat or drink without assistance, and it is not a condition that will improve without medical care to set her jaw.  She is going to die if you don't get her to a vet, so bite the bullet, do your research, and have her looked at.

I wish there were an easier way, but this is too serious for you to handle it yourself.  Do not attempt to set the animal's jaw, you have no idea where the bone needs to be moved, you have no idea what sort of damage has been done, and will cause the animal more suffering and potentially more damage than if a vet did it...so please, don't try to do this yourself, you will hurt your cat more than she already has been.

One of the other questions I want you to consider is how she managed to get a broken jaw.  Was she hit by a car?  Was she attacked by a dog or other animal?  Was she kicked or hurt by a child/person?  (The latter is the most likely.)  You need to keep all of your animals inside for a while until you are able to effectively answer this question.
I have already called all my local vets. None of them will see her without some sort of fee the lowest is $75 and thats just for the office visit. Thats why I am asking others for help. I know that doesn't seem like alot of money to some people and believe me If I had the money I would but I don't I'm already living off of hamburger helper (a step up from ramon noodles). No she has no swelling any where. I checked for blood everywhere I can't find any. I do have some nasty neighbors but I still can't see anyone harming animal. Besides she wouldn't ever hurt or bother anyone. I don't know how this happened to her. I wish I did so that way I know more to help her.
She is not having any trouble breathing.
I would like to preface this by saying that this is not a substitute for a physician's care.

Make sure that she has access to water and to very soft food.  Buy either canned wet food, or give her hard kibble soaked in water and put into the microwave for a few minutes.  (Wait until it's cool to give it to her.)  If you want to administer a low-grade painkiller to her, cut one baby aspirin in half and grind it up or crush it and mix it with the food.  (Do not use regular aspirin, you need to specifically buy baby aspirin, give her half of a tablet every 36 hours and no more than that.  Do not give her ANY other form of painkiller as they are for the most part, toxic...***this means no Tylenol, aleve, motrin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, Excedrin, etc.***)

Her jaw hurts, so naturally she's going to avoid eating for now.  When an animal is hurt or wounded they will fast for a short period while they get their wits together, so this is normal for the first day or two.  (No longer than that.)  She may have sustained bruising of the palette or tongue, so eating will be painful for a little while, especially if she fell from a high place or was hit by a vehicle.

Try not to pick her up or handle her too much, as this will do more harm than good, but make sure she has something warm to lay on, like a heating pad turned on low, or a hot water bottle wrapped in towels or something.  

If the cat does not attempt to eat or drink, you may need to hand feed her with a syringe.  Wrap her in a towel and very carefully (VERY CAREFULLY) insert the tip of the syringe into the corner of her mouth.  Make sure to give her both wet mashed food and water, lots of water.

I want you to consider whether or not taking her to an animal shelter is an option.  If her jaw doesn't mend, and if she cannot eat, she is going to die.
The animal shelters in my area first you have to pay for them to take them and then after one week if their not adopoted they are disposed of. I know a couple of people who work at the local shelter so I could probably get them to take her without cost. But thay don't seem to have much luck with giving away the cats and usually dispose of them shortly after bringing them in. Since my cat is hurt I probably wouldn't make it out of the parking lot before they killed her. I do realize that maybe this would be the best opition for her seeing as how I can't care for her the way she should and deserves to be cared for.But I just can't do it. I have faith I believe in her. Thanks any way
Now she is walking around kind of slow and strange.She is wagging her tail strange as well. Do you think it could be a head trauma? Would that cause her to drop her jaw as well?
She might have a concussion, especially if she was hit by a car, fell from a high place, or possibly kicked by a person.  Check out her jaw and see if she'll let you touch it...don't apply pressure, but see if it looks like one solid bone, or if it's broken in one place.  (A good way to check is to look at her bottom teeth and see if they are symmetrical.  If they are, then it's not broken, at least there.)

The tail wagging is likely an attempt at keeping her balance, if she has a concussion or inner-ear damage, her equilibrium is going to be a little bit off for a while.  If her jaw isn't broken, it may just be bruised in spots.  Being concussed could cause her to drop her jaw, likewise, bruising might make it tender, or make some of her teeth loose for a little while.

Since you will be close to her, do a good exam of her face and head.  Look to see that her sinus/cheeks are both symmetrical (if they are not, it's evidence of a broken cheek), as well as her head and around her ears.
I looked at her jaw and as far as I can tell it feels soild. Her bottom and upper teeth them seem fine. I have checked her face neck jaw and cheeks and nothing seems to be adnormal. No swelling any where.  I also felt around her ears once again nothing abnormal. she is very sleepy. I dipped my finger in some water a dropped some on her lips and she licked her lips moving her jaw up and down. What is a concussion exactly? Does this mean she could be retarded now? I just asking this doesn't mean I will love her anyless of course. I want to thank you so much I've been trying to reasearch on my own but I'm not very skilled at the internet or computer for that matter. You have been the only source of comfort and knowledge. Thank you so much. Don't worry I won't forget that this is not a subsitute for physician's care.
A concussion is a bruise on the edge of the brain, caused by the brain striking the inside of the skull.  (The brain floats in a cushion of liquid and membrane normally.)  When a spot bruises, it can take some time to heal, but only repeated damage to the brain will cause retardation...(like a boxer who's been hit in the head one too many times.)  In the case of your cat, she probably has a severe concussion, will be drowsy/clumsy for a little while, maybe a few days, and then be back on her feet and perfectly normal.  By then, whatever bruising she might have sustained in her jaw and tongue and palette will be cleared up or at the very least, tolerable.

Try to give her some wet food on the tip of your finger, see if she'll take it.
I looked up concussion and now I understand some what what it is. I just went again to check on her and she actually lifted her head up and looked at me. She hadn't been responding before. So maybe that is what was the matter with her and she just needs some rest and time to heal on her own.
By the way she will never go outside again unsupervised.
I really appreciate that you're going to keep your cat inside from now on.  It's heartbreaking to keep an indoor/outdoor cat inside, we had to do the same for my Blue, but the kids around here kick and chase him, and have hurt him on occasion, so it's really best for everyone involved.

Good luck with your cat.  I'm glad it's most likely not a jaw problem.
I really don't know how to thank you enough. Just the fact that you don't even know me for that matter I really don't even know your name and still yet you have taken the time to respond to my questions and ignorance with kindness and understanding. Thank you and God Bless. Some time later IF Coco lives and thrives I let you know through this forum. once again thank you.
MrsFreeman123,

You are an idiot to post to the internet for medical advice instead of seeking immediate medical help for an injured animal.

If you cannot provide medical care for your animal, you shouldn't own an animal.  I highly recommend giving that cat up for adoption-- go back to eating ramen so you can afford the paltry amount to surrender the poor animal.

I hope that cat lives.

What a dope.
My cat broke his jaw about 6-8mnths ago.  Long story short the vet said he broke his jaw vry badly & wired his jaw shut with pins. The Vet said bring him back in 8 weeks to take wire out & feed him through seringe. After few days having him home i relized my cat couldnt open his mouth more than 1/2-1cm. Again long story short my cats jaw healed & got wire out but still cant opn his mouth. My Vt said he wasnt callified to fix it or do anyhing & said go to bone speliest.

So im woundering if i can do something to help my cat open his jaw again (even just little bit) Orr of  place or doctor i can see to help. And if i can how  much do u think cost............
It sounds like a classic split jaw. It's a common impact injury for cats. It needs to be set. If not, it may infect causing tooth/bone loss. As it is, a cat with this injury will have to be force fed as it will dehydrate and go into renal failure or some similar shock condition and die. (It takes about three days before the danger of this runs high).

If you take him to the shelter, they will put him down (only healthy animals get placed. Sick ones are almost always killed).

I don't know what to tell you. Generally a shelter won't make you pay to take an animal if you give it to them with the intent of having it put down (due to injury or otherwise).

You have to decide if you can't afford treatment whether you want to risk what may be a lingering painful death (assuming I'm wrong about the injury) and a quick, relatively painless one.
i must somewhat agree with Responsible855.  It breaks my heart when I hear that someone can't find a way to care for their injured pet when it is nessesary to get professional help.  If this were your child, you would do anything, even go as far as eat bread and drink water to insure the health and comfortable long life of your child.  To me, when you take in a pet, they become part of the family.  That's why i call my girls my babies, b/c if i werent willing to sacrafice for them, i would have never taken on the responsibility to care, love and make sure they receive the medical attention they need.  Cat's are helpless animals when it comes to their health and depend on us to prevent or treat any illnesses or injury they come across.  they can die from untreated infection, just like us.  Im sure a friend, family member or co-worker would be more then willing to lend some money to help.  Besides, i've never heard of the SPCA charging more than $30 for a vet visit.  i find it very hard to believe them minimum you could find for care was $75, when my own vet charges $29 and spaying is $85.  If youre not willing or able to care for a pet, they should be in a home that can, or at least will find a way to manage in an emergency situation.  if she has an infection in the blood, she would need treatment or die...but by self medicating her you would never know that her own blood is poisoning herself.  I actually had brought my neighbor's outside cat to a vet after several days of seeing it limp from a bad scratch from a catfight.  the vet said that an infection started to move into his blood and if i waited 2 more days, there would have been no way he could have beaten it.  It's things like that people dont think about.  a lot more goes on inside their bodies than we know.
I disagree with both you and responsible.
Not everyone can afford an emergency.  I am on that same end of things.  My cat got attacked by a dog, which ripped his eye out and broke his jaw.  The only reason my cat was saved is because my veterinarian will allow payments.  Most don't.  So if they do not hold checks until payday I would of been in the same situation.  My cat cost me $625, I am paying $100 a month on the bill.
Now, let me explain this to you Blueeyes, you cannot compare animal care to human care.  I would love to rush my cats in to my vet any day and say bill me.  They would say NO!  If I rush my son into the hospital and say bill me, they have to or I have to go to the University hospital.  There is ALWAYS a way for a human to be seen and not have to pay that day.  Let me explain that side of it.  My children get sick and I can't afford an office visit, my pediatrician will not bill, so I have to take them to the ER for simple things like an ear ache because they will not see them without money upfront.  So it is the same thing sort of, but animal hospitals normally will not bill.
Don't criticize her for seeking some help. She called and no one wanted to help for what she could afford then.  No one wanted to set her up on payment plans.  NO ONE CARED.  Vets now a days are in it for the money only.  Very few are in it for the field of caring for animals.
I was on a yahoo group called petsforever, and they criticized me because I had several died in a short time.  Like I did this to them, I am willing to fork over a hold check anytime I can get a vet to see my animals that way (mine can never get sick when payday is here).  I am a former vet assistant and take pride in that but yet these people think because I had so many die in a short time that I am a bad pet owner.  They even faulted me for allowing 2 different  vets (2 different ones) for putting Revolution on my kittens.  Faulted me for it, something I was trying to help the kittens with, something the vets, 2 of them mind you felt was safe enough for them.  So I defend her because I have been there.  You are damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to animals.  People that need to reach out for advice or suggestions should just keep their mouth shut, animal care is as bad as abortion, if you are not rich people think you are nothing but ****.
A human being should do all they can to save their animals.  Skip your own meals if you need to, be late on rent in an emergency.  Go into debt.  WHATEVER it takes.  That said,  there are so many homeless and unwanted/euthanized cats out there that (unlike the decision to give birth) if someone is willing to feed, shelter and generally look after a cat they should, even if they don't have the resources for emergency care.  I doubt someone with this little money would be guilty of buying from a breeder.  So living with mrs freeman and others who can't pay vet bills is one less on the streets.  But one can only hope that 'mrs feeman' and others who have similar stories are being honest with themselves and making every sacrifice they can to get their loved ones adequate  care equal to the sacrifices one would make for a human child.  Sadly and criminally there are simply more resources out there to care for us fleshies than there are out there for our sweet furries.
This is a heartbreaking case and it is easy to feel rage when reading it, let us direct that rage in the right direction.
Mrs Freeman please do let us know if kitty is ok.
My cats jaw was damaged badly from an unknown source, and we believed his jaw was broken. At first the doctor claimed it to be kidney failure, since our cats tongue was constantly hanging out, and he had been druling constantly, all over everything. We wanted a second opinion, so we went to another vet. They told us that the others were wrong, and his jaw really was broken. In all, we concluded that this was the correct problem. The doctors assured us that it wasnt to be a problem, as the jaw would heal in quite a bit of time by itself, with lots of cooperation, love, and care. So we waited, a good bit of months. He was basically becoming difficult to deal with, because of the effects of the broken jaw. With that said, we took him back to the vet; They really hadnt told us much more then we had already known, though they told us to give it more time, and suggested a special cat food that would help keep him in tip top shape and help prevent further problems. Our cat, Tigger, is eighteen years old, and very healthy; overall he is in excellent condition for his age, besides the broken jaw, so this had definetly all caught us offguard. We are going back to the vet tomorrow, as his jaw has not shown any signs of improvement, infact, it has becoming increasingly worse. It is so bad that he has went from about 18 to 12 pounds, in a very short amount of time, due to not eating. Also, his lower jaw is VERY uncentered- about an inch or two to the left of the top jaw, crooked also. Today was the worst day yet, because he would not stop meowing and pestering us. He was hungry, but he already had his half-can of wet food for the day. ( We always keep hard food in his bowl inbetween his meals. ) He even has a great deal of difficulty drinking milk, as well as eating the wet food, so sure enough he cannot eat the harder types of food. My mother went searching for an older brand of cat food which was soft and ''mushy'', making it very easy to chew, in any condition; only to find out that it was discontinued, not too long back. We love our cat dearly, and need answers soon, before its too little too late. Please help.                                                          
                                                                                                 Sincerely, Rylee
Did you get an x-ray to confirm that jaw is broken?  If it is broken, how did it happen?  Is your cat indoor or outdoor?  Maybe your cat has just got some bad teeth.  Older cats can get awful dental disease that makes them hurt so much that they can't eat.
This is very unfortunate. The jaw SHOULD have been set, it may have need a surgical procedure. It sounds like it still does.

Your best bet is to try getting one of the freeze dried foods you mix with water. Then add a lot of water; make it a soup. A cat with the break you describe CAN'T eat dry food; it can't even handle most wet foods. The lack of ability to properly chew... imagine you trying to eat something with a golf ball in your mouth. It's about the same effect.

I'd go to a third vet on this one and report the second vet for malpractice.
My cat is an outdoor cat, and always has been. We are going to be going to the doctor tomorrow, to get an x-ray and check out some more things. His teeth may be the source to our problem, rather than the jaw bones, though we still are not sure. The problem with giving him a liquid formula is that his mouth doesnt even close fully, so whenever he goes to drink something, it usually ends up everywhere; except his mouth. Now I understand that there is a wiring, or something that may be put in the mouth to have the bones set. Is this an expensive procedure?, and can it be done on all cats?
Can it be done? Usually, with a "normal" cat with a fairly standard break.

The cost... that depends on the vet and where you live. It won't be inexpensive, though. You should talk to your vet about a payment plan.
Well, I live in Florida, and generally the prices of the vets bills around here arent too bad, depending on where you go, but what are we talkin.. Hundreds, or Thousands? (For the jaw wiring procedure)
We talked to the vet today, and we are going to go see a cat dentist specialist. We need to schedule an appointment, and we plan on doing so soon. As far as they told us, his jaw is pretty messed up. We heard that the price isnt going to be cheap.. but we're willing to do anything to save our cat.
Did this problem with his jaw/mouth seem to just show up over night?  Or, was it a more gradual change?  The answer to these questions is very important.  If it WAS over night, then it is probably a broken jaw.  If it was a gradual change, then my bet would be that it's a problem with a tooth/teeth.  If you haven't ever had his teeth cleaned in his 18 yrs, I am certain it's the teeth.

Have you noticed him eating hard food?  Or, did he used to eat hard food and gradually stopped eating it?  Something else to consider, have you noticed that when he has eaten hard food, he starts turning his head to one side to eat it?  I've had cats do the head to the side deal while eating hard food.  Found out there was a bad tooth.  Also had a cat that lost her teeth causing her tongue to hang out!

Think carefully about the answers to these questions, and you'll have your answer.
The major reason a cat should be seen by a vet when there is an obvious problem with it's eating and swollen jaw,  is to determine the exact cause.  They must rule out an abcess (abscess), infection, fracture or worse case scenario,  cancer of the jaw.  This is common in cats. The earlier the diagnosis the better the prognosis, but as with cancer in humans there is no guarentees.  But first the vet needs to examine the cat, then have xrays.  A biopsy may be needed to ensure it isn't a fibrosarcoma or squamous cell carcinoma.  All these are expensive tests.  If it was a child there wouldn't be any question.  So why is there any question when it comes to a pet.

my 4 year old dog fell and broke her jaw last week-end, I took her to the emergency vet and he put a feeding tube in, set her jaw and sent her home with pain meds. I tube feed her every 6 hours along with her pain meds every 4 hours. That was $ 2000.00. Today I took her back for a recheck and vet told me that she needed more surgery to the tune of 3-4 thousand more!!!! I told him i couldnt afford that and he said " well if she doesn't start eating on her own in a few weeks, you might have to think of her quality of life and put her down...... The cold SOB your right, vets are out to make lots of money.  
Unfortunately with the sudden leap of advances in veterinary medicine (not to mention human medicine) the cost of medical treatment has skyrocketed.

Pet health insurance, a relatively new industry, is also virtually useless.

So until the people of this country put their collective foot down and say; "No More!", and stop being panicked like cattle by phrases such as "Socialised Medicine"... we're going to remain a country with some of the best medical treatment that NO ONE can afford to access.

Except the wealthiest.

But hey, that's capitalism at it's core definition.

"The providing of a service while setting the maximum price that can be collected with the intent to generate the most profit."

I'm sorry about your dog there, mate. Try to see if the vet is a decent sort who will work out some sort of payment plan. i'd also consider getting a second opinion to be sure the added surgery isn't due to some error on his part.
i am just a server at chilis my cats jaw was dislocated and fractured by a family memeber dog that now live with me(gumbo is a 100 germain sheppard mix) and him and the cat are best friends he just played too hard.  it cost me 1100 to fix him they offer care credit and most offer with no interest DONT GET PETS IF U CAN'T AFFORD THEM, its a give in that at one point your pet willget injured get sick, need their teeth cleaned and if you ar enot prepared for it stop getting animals.  Pretty much every vet offers payment plans, way to let ur poor cat suffer with damn aspirine as a painkiller.  and while you go out to eat, buy your beer, watch your gable realize you could have cut out one or all of those things to save your animal.  I have a wedding I cut out aps and used money I had saved up for my wedding dress.
What finally happened to your cat?
my kitten broken his jaw bone and it did that he didnt want to eat try baby food stage 1 either beef or chicken i had to hold the spoon to its mouth and it eat now he eats from a plate..depending on how its broke it could heal its self first step is getting it to eat..Good Luck!!
And you may be responsible, but you have no right to tell other people that love animals that they shouldn't have one.  The internet is full of people that have dealt with situations like this and it gives this person some hope for the time being that she/he will be able to save the money and have that animal cared for.  I for one am offended by your dismissal of this and that you called her an idiot.  You are not worthy of this discussion board.  She already stated that she will not let that animal out of the house any more and I for one firmly believe her.  I have dealt with many animal situations.  Gosh, don't tell me you have a shelter in your area that just says SURE!!! SEND ME YOUR POOR, YOUR BROKEN, YOUR HOMELESS, now do you?
I took my cat to the vet with a broken jaw and did not have much money.  My vet wanted to give him a chance to live and sent me home with an antibiotic and directions on his care.  She apparently thinks it will heal on it's own as long as infection doesnt set in.  Granted his jaw will not heal as well as if he had surgery but apparently this can be done.  It is killing me to care for him and I'm not sure I can but I'm going to try.
My vet told me asprin is toxic to cats.
yes aspirin is very toxic to cats!!!!!

good for you at least trying to give kitty a chance, is he able to eat on his own? I sure wish you both the very best of luck hon, keep us posted on how he is doing okay...♥
ok this is old and i have work to do but putting people doen looking for help is not the answer.....I you have nothing helpfull to say you should keep it to yourslef....not everyone is fortunate to have everything they need throughout life it can be tough and if she did not have this cat it may never had a home......will I starve my child for my cat no.....I will tell you that I had a dog attack my cat and was scared I would have to put it down because I'm back in school working little have way less money and in debt due to school I was fortunate enough to have a credit card that was not maxed and able to pay 555.00 for the first visit that was on a Sunday.......or I would have been out of luck then I was lucky enought to be refered to a hospital to get the cat the attention it needed way less cost and payments can be made ....I was lucky she refered me to a vet that cared....they are out there few anf far between do not listen to the loser that just because they have not been in rough times thinks that no one else is ...it seems it happens to the best of people and should happen to thoughs who are high and mighty..... If you can go all out for your animals you can send other people donations to help with theirs....
My cat has the same kind of accident but his teeth are gone and he won't eat or drank in any way and I can not afford a bet bill he went one day and it cost 500 $ and it's not helping his nose is stoped up and his breathing hard it's been 4 days and his still hasn't  ate or drank ?
You should get single payer health care for humans and pets passed into law if you care about animals so much that you yell at a poor person with a pet. Classic hater move: Blame the victim. (or in this case, the victims owner)

My cat is a rescue,  he got hurt somehow, blood was dripping from his mouth the day of, and he ran away before I could get him inside. his lower jaw palette is swollen and I can't afford to take him to the emergency clinic so he has to wait two days till the regular one opens. I am worried about the infection because he was gone for 3 days. the swelling seems to not block his ability to eat, he is eating his wet cat food and drinking milk. it keeps him from closing his mouth though.

he only is in pain if presure is applied to the inside of the lower jaw. Teeth look lined up, maybe its a dislocated jaw, but it doesn't seem broken.

still mostly worried about that infection taking him away from me. my precious Taco kitty cat.