Cats Community
Does my cat have a developmental disorder?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

My male tabby cat turned 3 years old yesterday and still carries on like when he was a kitten. He still has "crazy attacks" and chases his tail in the bathtub almost daily. He is also VERY skiddish.  Every time there's a sound or someone enters the house he runs a hundred miles an hour to get under the bed.  As soon as I walk in (alone), however, he runs to me.

He jumps up onto my computer desk and rubs his head on my arms as if to say, "pet me".  He also rolls around and all upside down if you tell him how cute he is so that he can get scritched.  He snuggles me every time I sit down and I can't get into bed without him next to me.  

He doesn't meow at ALL, though he does open his mouth to try.  Today, for the first time, he made teeny mews like a kitten.  He has very odd looking eyes - almost Asian, and one is a little "off".  It's almost like a lazy eye.  He also has an obsession with licking toilet paper!  I have also noticed that a lot of times he doesn't remember things - it's almost like it's new all over again.  He's PETRIFIED of anything loud, but comes running when I put food in his dish, even if he ate 10 minutes prior!

I also have a 4 year old male tabby.  He's extremely smart and VERY talkative.  He even walks on a leash - he, however, isn't AS cuddly, though I do wake up with him next to me every morning.  They're polar opposites, but they play together A LOT - and they also get into their scuffles.

My question is could it be possible for the 3 year old to be developmentally delayed or be in the autism spectrum?  I'm an educator and he reminds me of some of my students with such disabilities.
Tags: cats, developmental disorder, Autism, can't meow
Is he nuetered? (sp) I have a 7yr old male cat that acts like that sometimes too. Opus will be on later and will have more information for ya!! ~Bkitty
Calamity Jane Grey (11/82 - 03/04) would still get the "kitten krazies" right into her late teen years.  The activity was a bit much for her when she got over 20, but she was still game to try, loved walking on leash, too.  Did that up to her last month.

Her sister, Queen Victoria Grey (11/82 - 05/00), was life long tailchaser.
He is neutered.  Does that matter?  Both Mikey (the 4 year old) and Toby (the 3 year old) are.

I'm sorry you lost your babies.  I lost my Fuzzball in 2008 due to a mammary tumor :(
Thank you, Victoria and Cammie had good long runs at life, and left behind a lot of fond memories, along with their friends Dancer and Cerridwen, and Cammie's kitten, Kestrel (who we lost to lymphoma in June).

But we still have Hildie (Kestrel's little sister), Chessie and the semi-famous Miss Teia Honey, to keep us company.

We'll continue to bring kitties into our lives for as long as breath enters the body.
slaytheday My Spike & Sookie completel... Comment
58 mins ago
jugglin commented on Shannon79's status
10356, and jugglin commented on stilltrying1965's status