Elderly cat is dying-URGENT
I have a female spayed cat that is 18 years old.  I have known for about a week that she is not doing very well and I feel she is dying.  She has been eating and drinking.  This morning at 5:30 she was meowing quite loudly.  When I went to her I realized that she is having trouble with her hind legs.  She has no strength in them and can't walk on them at all.  I am not sure what to do.  Is this something that can happen when a cat is dying?  I really don't want to euthanize her.  I would prefer that she pass at home with people around her that love her.  However, I also don't want her to suffer.  She does not appear to be in pain.  Any info on the lack of ability to walk would be appreciated.  Any other advice on how to handle this is also welcome.  
dcu
I am so sorry about your kitty. That is so sad. The same thing happened to my sisters cat when she got old. My Sister said hers was hurting though and she took her in to the vet and they put her to sleep so she wouldn't suffer. My Sister said she talked to her the whole time and held her paw...which is something her cat always liked. She kept her other hand on her to reassure her that it was  ok. She also said that she could tell her cat was ready to let go. We cried and cried.

I wonder tho, if she is meowing loud, she may be in pain, otherwise why else would she do that:? Does she do that sometimes? Mine does when he gets bored. ALso, you can tell if they are going to die soon if they have a far away look in their eyes and do not focus on anything, and if their breathing is labored or it seems they are having a hard time breathing. I am sure you know that..personally, I would take her in....but I am not there.

Good Luck to you and her! If you ever need to talk you can send me a private message.....my thoughts and prayers are with you two...

Sincerely,
Donna
I understand your pain and feelings. It is terrible to lose a dear friend.

The symptoms you are describing sound like a type of blood clot that can happen in older cats and/or cats with heart disease. They become unable to move their hind quarters, sometimes completely. You can take her to the vet to see if this is the case.

This condition causes extreme pain, fear, and suffering to the animals who endure it. It can go on for quite a while-- not a quiet, quick, peaceful situation for an animal.

I am not sure whether this can be treated or not, because the only two cats I have known that have had this condition were both too far gone to save, and were put down. However, I feel better know that they were put to sleep and did not have to suffer through this condition for a lengthy period of time.