Cats Community
Eye Drainage?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Eye Drainage?

last few days my 12-yr-old cat has had severe eye drainage of his left eye along with difficulity in opening the eye all the way....I do not see evidence of any pus, the drainage is clear...I gave him an eye wash with warm water that seemed to help temporarily, but his eye went back to draining...he is also less active as he has a favorite toy that he has not wanted to play with...is this a simple eye irritation or should I be considered of something else...he has been dealing with kidney problems for 8+ years and has always had allergies (sneezing) but not to this extent...kindly advise...
sorry to hear abt your dear kitty. I would certainly take him to a vet for an exam, with CRF the blood pressure can rise very high and this can cause the eye drainage and sensitivity like you describe, are his eyes red colored too?
behind in my email, so I apologize for not replying sooner...first, thank you for your response...I took him to the vet where he was diagnosed with conjunctivitis (his eye looked like I had used a pink eye liner)...he has been on drops now for several days and has just now started to play somewhat, but is still not back to normal...at the very least the other eye does not seem to be affected.
thankyou for getting back to us, and I'm so glad you did take him to the Vet, conjunctivitis can be very painful...and needs the antib's to clear it up.

can I also mention something that will really support his immune system b/c he already has CRF and now this infection, its very important to keep his immunity high.
L-lysine is an amino acid and is wonderful product to do just that, your Vet will agree!! You can buy it thru your Vet, but its more expensive there and I also find many of the 'pet' products are filled will unnecessary ingredients that aren't needed or wanted. anyone who treats kitties with a holistic approach will tell you to use the 'human' form of L-lysine(and many other products too).
you can buy these from a human health supply (vitamin store)...I will give you the name of the one I use and where you can order it from if its not avail locally where you are....but as long as you buy a product that is FREE of corn/sugar/salt/starch/soy/wheat/milk/ and preservatives...it will be alright too.
this one is is powder form, you can also get it in capsules...just open the capsule and sprinkle in the wet food.... use 500mg for one week than 250mg from there on...can use indefinitely.

http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-L-Lysine-Amino-Acid-Powder-100-g/13608