Cats Community
Growths

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Growths

I'm calling it a growth because I'm scared to call it anything else.

Oliver has a growth the size of a cherry on his jaw. I noticed it today when he looked at me and the side of his face stuck out.  It doesn't hurt him so I felt around and messed with it- he actually really enjoyed me rubbing on it and feeling around-weirdo.  It's located on the back of his jaw where it opens.  It's soft and squishy- kinda gel-like and feels like its under his gums but not attached to any bone.  It has developed within the last two weeks or so.  He had a scab under his chin near that area a couple weeks so I was messing with it and didn't feel anything then and he was mad I was messing with him.

It's not an abcess (abscess) because they hurt until the burst and it wasn't squishy enough to be fluid.  I'll get him into the vet this week but does anyone have any thoughts until then??  I haven't looked around much yet, I'm scared to.

:)
Tooth root abcess (abscess), infection.....etc. Cats mask sickness and pain so well, it could be painful but not excrusiating. Rapid growth should be seen asap. But its good that its not coming from his bone. GOOD LUCK!!!!
gordonbaby is right....another suggestion is possibly rodent ulcer...look at the site I am sending and scroll down to the rodent ulcer photo..not a clear good look, but they can resemble a tumor esp around the mouth.
Do have a Vet take a look and a sample to test perhaps...just don't jump into steroids especially antibiobics or anti-inflammatories until absoluteley necessary b/c if this is what the Vet believes it is(after other things have tested negative)...than it can be treated as an allergy....
one thing be very sure you aren't feeding out of plastic dishes...and not dry food either both can cause such ulcers forming.
let us know what you find out, don't panic yet....(((hugs)))

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_eosinophilic_granuloma.html
I agree with Opus, it very much sounds like some form of granuloma.  My Dunkin gets the rodent ulcer on his lower lip, it will swell up like a big bug bit him.  It doesn't appear to be painful & I think it bothers me more then it does him. lol  His is controlled by food, I feed him the limited ingredient Natural Balance Chicken & dehydrated chicken for snacks.  It helps tremendously but he will still get a flare up every now & then.
Hi All- I just heard back from the vet.  It is an abcess (abscess), which I had come to believe it was. It had changed from cherry size to walnut overnight and the texture of liquid has gotten more fluid instead of goo-ish.  I'm shocked it hadn't popped yet.  I remembered he had a scratch under his chin a few weeks ago and the weather has been so nice he has been rolling in the dirt.  

She's going to put him under and clean it up.  She's going to give him an injectable antibiotic instead of us trying to pill him with his bad teeth or lack of teeth.  She said the only time he showed pain is when she tried to get into his mouth to look around.  

Opus- I know you have talked about injectables and some of them not being good- Do you remember which ones?  The weather is supposed to be yucky this week so he probably won't be outside rolling, but I'd like to be sure it heals.  

She's also going to send him home with an e-collar to make sure he doesn't scratch it.  That should be interesting.  :)
I SURE do remember which drug aligator DO NOT let this Vet talk you into the injectable drug called CONVENIA....here are some write ups abt it...get the drops called Antirobe Aquadrops..comes in a liquid that just has to be dropped on the inner mucosa of the mouth..kitty doesn't even need to open his mouth to get absorbed!!!! MUCH MUCH SAFER. ps glad its only an abcess (abscess).

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Just-Say-NO-To-Convenia-This-is-a-dangerous-drug/show/1865523?personal_page_id=861539

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=convenia
The vet thinks I'm nuts.  I called them and asked what the med would be.  Yep, It would be the Convenia.  Nope- I asked her for a liquid instead.  I could tell she thought I was nuts.  :)    I'd rather be frustrated than lose my kitty.  

Thanks Much!!!
good for you to remember abt a previous warning...glad you got this 'in time' yes better to let them think we are nuts than to have a sick kitty:))
Aligator.....I don't know you but I'm very proud of you!  A lot of pet owners would just go along with the vet or take the easy way out of convenience, but not you!  Way to go fur mom!! :-)