my 7 month old kitten first started being lethargic about 6 weeks ago - his teeth were growing in and we figured he was in some pain from that. took him to the vet and they gave us antirobe drops for a gum infection. 2 weeks later he was still lethargic and he hadnt had a \bm in 2 days - so again we went to the vet, they gave him fluids and an enema which helped. 2 days later i noticed he was eating his clumping litter and i immediately rushed him back to the vet. \i figured he had a litter blockage and that is why he was constipated. After blood work and x-rays, everything came back normal, except for something in the blood that led them to believe he had a small liver, but after looking at the x-rays they ruled that out. \they said to take him home and stop the antirobe becuase maybe he was having an adverse reaction. We did this, and he still did not get better. took him to the vet again last week for another check - at this point he was sleeping 23 hours a day, and only getting up to eat and go to the bathroom. Again, they said everything looked normal, and maybe it is just taking him longer to get the litter out of his system. 2 days ago we noticed that he was wobbling when he walked and had no energy in his back legs, he was falling over and looked OUT OF IT. you can see in his eyes, that he is not there...he is skiddish when we come near him and doesnt want to be picked up, even though he purrs when we pet him. He is still eating, but sleeps ALL day. Took him to the vet again last night - they gave him a shot of steroids and a shot of vitamin B and told us to give him double doses of the antirobe last night and today - which i have done. After about two hours since the steroid injections he was wide awake, playing, eating ALOT, and even restless. trying to run around (still falling and sliding because of his leg muscles) but he was very active. Same thing this morning, very very active. Today i came home from work, and he is back to the way he was. Sleeping, hardly able to stand or walk, and by the look in his eyes, looks worse than before. And now he is letting out these little whines when he moves in his sleep (almost like a dog whining) There is not vomitting, no diarreah - and our doctor has diagnosed him with motor neuron deficiancy. Can you help? I fear he will die, becfore anyone can tell us how to help him! he is only a baby, and i will do anything to help
Oh my goodness you sure have been trying you're best and I commend you for being so proactive! just sorry that nothing has lead to any results for you and kitty...poor baby he's obviously got something major going on!!
Have you tried to google 'motor neuron deficiancy?'.....go on our Vet forum and ask the Vets what their opinion is.
Go to the right of this screen and scroll way down until you see the heading
RELATED EXPERT FORUMS....that will lead you to a forum where you will get a reply from a Vet expert.
I wish you both the best of luck and hopefully something that will help this poor little guy.
Please keep us posted on his progress.
thank you both for your posts - i have been checking the site hopeing that someone, anyone would answer - i have scheduled an appointment for tomorrow at a cat only hospital. I hope that they will have seen something like this and can hopefully help us figure it out. He has been awake more since his steroid shot, but his walking has gotten almost non-existant. He can barely stand, and we have to help him use the litter box. He is still eating, but a little less than usual (i think only becuase he has no energy to get up) so we have been bringing the food to him. we have also been trying to get some fluids into him becuase he was severly dehydrated at the last visit to the vet. So i have been adding a little pure green tea and echinaecea tea to his water. Nothing else can harm him at this point i figure. Just hoping to get his immue system back up.
I went to our vet today to get his x-rays and blood records to take to the cat clinic tomorrow - and i could not believe it when they told me that his xrays were in storage in the basement. Which means that none of the doctors that checked him since the xrays even looked at them to compare any of his new symptoms! I cant believe it.
hopefully tomorrow we will be able to help our little bug (as we call him) keep your fingers crossed for little Coco. :)
Poor Coco. It's good you understand the urgency of the situation. Your kitty is so lucky. He must be beautiful! A cat-only-hospital! Good girl! Take him there and fight for your pet. I can't believe your vet didn't even look at the x-rays. That is so disrespectful.
coco is beautiful!!! my Nemo is all black too...can see those pearly whites when they grin!! lol.
best of luck at the kitty hospital I sure hope they can help the poor baby. Please keep us posted, we all care here.
oh I am so sorry to hear your pet go thru this, I have a kitty to and would not know what I would do without her, but like prettykitty said go in and fight for your pet. he is so cute and would love to take him/her home with me, (LOL). let us know, hope he gets better
Hi, I agree w/ the others about seeing another vet!! You've taken the poor kitty many times to the same vet, and they haven't done a good job of helping your kitten. Hopefully, fingers crossed, the kitty hospital will help you! And, BTW.....shame on your vets for not getting the x-rays out of "storage". As much as you've probably spent w/them, they should offer to get those x-rays out of storage. I would go in and demand those x-rays. I'm sorry, but that is very bad business on their part! You have a right to those x-rays and it would really help the other vets out to see them!
BTW, I would make sure that green tea and echinacea(sp?) is safe for cats. I'm not sure of those and will probably look them up. And, I'm also wondering what your kitten's diet is like! What are you feeding him?
Best wishes to you and bless you for being a great kitty parent!
we were feeding him natural source kitten food...only the best for our little guy.
unfortunately i have to say with a sad and broken heart - Coco wont be suffering anymore after tomorrow.
We saw the other vet today - and they confirmed my worst fears. Whatever it is that is hurting him, has passed the point of recovery, and keeping him alive will only be prolonging his pain and suffering. They think it is either FIP or a Motor Neuron problem. At this point he cant stand - he went to the bathroom today while laying down, and you can see in his eyes that he is trying to be strong, but he is slowly losing the battle. I cant look in his sad little eyes anymore. This is the toughest decision i have ever had to make - but we feel it is the best and most humae thing to do.
I hope he knows how much we love him, and how hard we fought to help him.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.