Cats Community
Help, My cat is pulling her fur out.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Help, My cat is pulling her fur out.

I have a 1 year old black domestic short hair, recently she has been pulling her fur out from 1 spot on her back. We have checked for fleas and bug bites, and dry skin but there seems to be nothing. She also pulls fur out of the other cat we have....but I think that's because she is trying to get the snarls out of his fur. I would just like to know if anyone else has experienced this before.
hi Carly and welcome. this is actually quite common it can be due to several reasons. allergies, fleas, IBD, stress, or even just very dry skin...with a black kitty you would notice if the skin was really dry and see while dandruff like flakes..if this is the case add some Omega 3 fish oil to her diet...Krill Oil is the best.

if its allergies, this can be environmental from any scent in the home such as cleaners, candles, room sprays even scented litter.

or a food allergy usually chicken is the biggest culprit. also grains in the food are triggers for many cats. dry food is also a huge problem, b/c of the many preservatives along with the grains of course.

can you do a trial of changing her food to a non chicken GRAIN FREE canned food and see if that makes a difference. also try to eliminate as many scents as possible around your home.
with people allergies to a food or product we tend to sneeze and get runny eyes with cats they feel it on their skin...therefore they itch or breakout in tiny sore scabs or both.

post again if we can help, good luck.♥
I haven't seen any dandruff on her, but my other cat has dandruff. So could it just be the air is dry? This is our first winter/spring in this apartment and this is the first time she started to do this.

Is it possible for her to get an allergy from the food that she has been eating for a while now?
  I had the same problem with my cat she had some flaking and hair loss so I shaved her with clippers as short as I could than put "Hot Spot" treatment on it 2x a day for a week but it only took a couple of days to clear up! When she had it the infected ares felt hot to the touch! Does your cats area feel warm?
any way it healed up and her hair grew back just fine! I was thankful cause she was suffering with it for almost a year cause I didn't have the $ to take her to the vet! Maybe you can try it ! Let me know how it turns out! email me if you don't mind! Here is my email  ***@****

Your new friend:
                                                                      Dora May Henaire
   P.S..
     Maybe you can send me a pic of he cutie?
       tlk 2 u ltr !

yes its possible to become sensitive to anything after long term exposure and that includes foods, same for humans and cats too.

heres an article with good info on this topic. the only thing I do NOT agree with is using steroids (and most other medications)...this will only mask the problem and is NOT a cure. and despite what the Vets say.."even one dose of a steroid can lead to diabetes!!!" so only ever use as a last resort,after you've tried absolutely everything else.
Kitty is much better off if you do an elimination routine and discover what is causing the issue rather than throw drugs at her.

like I said the most common culprit is the GRAINS in food, find a brand that is grain free and preferably canned. you can get these at good pet food retailers.they are becoming the food of choice now.

you also mentioned a recent move if its not grains/food related another possibility is dust mites or something else new in this location that is causing the reaction.(?) read the article and do some changes for you kitty.
let us know how its going okay.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2134
The spot doesn't seem to be warm or hot. I know me and my fiancee were thinking about shaving the small area because it is hard to see her skin through her fur.
Yeah, I don't like to use medication unless it is as a last resort.

I think it could be dust mites. This apartment is so dry and dusty that I literally have to dust every day. However I do think the eliminating thing might work. I will start with a different litter for maybe a month, then switch food for about a month. Hopefully we find out soon.
YA THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA! BUT I WOULD DEFIANTLY SHAVE THE SPOT SO YOU CAN KEEP A BETTER EYE ON IT! this WILL HELP YOU DETERMEN IF IT GETS WORSE OR BETTER WHILE YOU ARE TRING TO DETERMEN THE CAUSE! YOU KNOW WHAT? my CAT THAT HAD THE PROBLEM IS ALSO A BLACK FEMALE SHORT HAIR! ISN'T THAT SOMETHING! STILL WAITING ON THOSE PHOTO ! LOL!
TLK 2 U LTR
DORA MAY HENAIRE
she might have a mental disablity.it is possable with animals