Cats Community
How much human amoxicillin for a 9 lb cat for battle wounds?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

I have a orange stripped tabby who is about 2-3 yrs old. (He showed up on my dining room table a few months ago and is now a part of the family!)  He is not neutered and seems to be very territorial. He gets into fights about once a week and comes in with battle wounds.  This time he really took a beating.  He has scrapes all over his face and legs. His front paw was bleeding and he wouldn't put pressure on it. I can not afford to take him to the vet (lost job) but I don't want his wounds to become infected. I have a new prescription of Amoxicillin 500ml that was for my 17 yr old daughter for a potential sinus infection. I know I can give human Amoxicillin to cats but I am uncertain as to how much from the capsule I should sprinkle on his food and how often. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. =^.^=
Hi Tina and welcome...

While yes this can be used, I am going to discourage your idea for many reasons, but the Main one is, you don't want to use an antib unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE there is an infection.

What I would do instead is dab some Hydrogen Peroxide on the cuts along with a little Neosporin and THEN make every effort to get this kitty neutered.  Check with your local shelter - they may have certain days in the month where low cost spay/neuter is offered.  Otherwise this issue will be endless; your boy may get seriously hurt along with more unwanted kittens in the world.  

Should you choose to go ahead with the Amox, the dosing info below is from "Pet Place".  Please read it ALL carefully because if there IS an infection, it depends on what TYPE of infection as far as the length of time on this drug.  This info will be unknown without a vet visit.  Good luck!  

Info from Pet Place cont in next post...
****Precautions and Side Effects****

>>>While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian,   amoxicillin can cause side effects in some animals.
>>>Amoxicillin should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
>>>Amoxicillin may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with amoxicillin. Such drugs include the antibiotics chloramphenicol and tetracycline.
>>>It is common for animals to develop diarrhea or loose stools following treatment with oral amoxicillin because this antibiotic can change the bacterial population of the pet's intestinal tract. If your pet has diarrhea, notify your veterinarian.

****Dosing Information****

>>>Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.

>>>The typical dose of amoxicillin ranges from 5 to 12 mg per pound (10 to 25 mg/kg), two or three times a day.

>>>The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects.

>>>Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse or prevent the development of resistance.
I'm just going to but in here and agree fully with what Jade has recommended that you please find a way somehow to get this poor boy fixed before he is seriously injured..than what will you pay to have him put down? I don't want to judge b/c I know you care and are trying but he can't continue to get so beat up like this its heartbreaking.

I will also weight in on the amoxicillian, like Jade said NEVER use unless there is a very strong evidence of an infection, peroxide is a much safer treatment for surface wounds...UNLESS it becomes infected with raw/oozing/smelly evidence.

I will send you another site from drugs.com
the dosage there is the similar as what Jade quoted...5-10mg/per lb so for a 9 lb cat 45-90mg(max) but this site says ONCE per day for 5-7days....

so you would need to divide your 500mg CAPSULE by 11x...which is very hard to get exact. besides a cat will not likely eat it sprinkled in his food...as its very bitter tasting.

I would highly recommend you not try this. wishing kitty the best and hoping he goes in for a neuter real soon:))
sorry forgot to add the site, its never given to a cat in capsule form, only tablets that can be divided or in a liquid.....

http://www.drugs.com/vet/amoxi-tabs-cats.html
Hey again....

I want to open with the fact we are all just pet owners like yourself.  And what happened above....me finding info saying 3Xday, then Opus finding the CORRECT dosage of ONCE per day....just goes to show why you need to find some way to take this kitty to a vet and not rely on the Internet for medicinal questions.  What if you had followed my advice????  Do you see??  And although clearly your heart is in the right place, I hope you won't give your kitty the Amox...

Again, best of luck!  Do let us know what comes of all this...