Cats Community
How much human amoxicillin for a 9 lb cat for battle wounds?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

I have a orange stripped tabby who is about 2-3 yrs old. (He showed up on my dining room table a few months ago and is now a part of the family!)  He is not neutered and seems to be very territorial. He gets into fights about once a week and comes in with battle wounds.  This time he really took a beating.  He has scrapes all over his face and legs. His front paw was bleeding and he wouldn't put pressure on it. I can not afford to take him to the vet (lost job) but I don't want his wounds to become infected. I have a new prescription of Amoxicillin 500ml that was for my 17 yr old daughter for a potential sinus infection. I know I can give human Amoxicillin to cats but I am uncertain as to how much from the capsule I should sprinkle on his food and how often. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. =^.^=
Hi Tina and welcome...

While yes this can be used, I am going to discourage your idea for many reasons, but the Main one is, you don't want to use an antib unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE there is an infection.

What I would do instead is dab some Hydrogen Peroxide on the cuts along with a little Neosporin and THEN make every effort to get this kitty neutered.  Check with your local shelter - they may have certain days in the month where low cost spay/neuter is offered.  Otherwise this issue will be endless; your boy may get seriously hurt along with more unwanted kittens in the world.  

Should you choose to go ahead with the Amox, the dosing info below is from "Pet Place".  Please read it ALL carefully because if there IS an infection, it depends on what TYPE of infection as far as the length of time on this drug.  This info will be unknown without a vet visit.  Good luck!  

Info from Pet Place cont in next post...
****Precautions and Side Effects****

>>>While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian,   amoxicillin can cause side effects in some animals.
>>>Amoxicillin should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
>>>Amoxicillin may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with amoxicillin. Such drugs include the antibiotics chloramphenicol and tetracycline.
>>>It is common for animals to develop diarrhea or loose stools following treatment with oral amoxicillin because this antibiotic can change the bacterial population of the pet's intestinal tract. If your pet has diarrhea, notify your veterinarian.

****Dosing Information****

>>>Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.

>>>The typical dose of amoxicillin ranges from 5 to 12 mg per pound (10 to 25 mg/kg), two or three times a day.

>>>The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects.

>>>Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse or prevent the development of resistance.
I'm just going to but in here and agree fully with what Jade has recommended that you please find a way somehow to get this poor boy fixed before he is seriously injured..than what will you pay to have him put down? I don't want to judge b/c I know you care and are trying but he can't continue to get so beat up like this its heartbreaking.

I will also weight in on the amoxicillian, like Jade said NEVER use unless there is a very strong evidence of an infection, peroxide is a much safer treatment for surface wounds...UNLESS it becomes infected with raw/oozing/smelly evidence.

I will send you another site from drugs.com
the dosage there is the similar as what Jade quoted...5-10mg/per lb so for a 9 lb cat 45-90mg(max) but this site says ONCE per day for 5-7days....

so you would need to divide your 500mg CAPSULE by 11x...which is very hard to get exact. besides a cat will not likely eat it sprinkled in his food...as its very bitter tasting.

I would highly recommend you not try this. wishing kitty the best and hoping he goes in for a neuter real soon:))
sorry forgot to add the site, its never given to a cat in capsule form, only tablets that can be divided or in a liquid.....

http://www.drugs.com/vet/amoxi-tabs-cats.html
Hey again....

I want to open with the fact we are all just pet owners like yourself.  And what happened above....me finding info saying 3Xday, then Opus finding the CORRECT dosage of ONCE per day....just goes to show why you need to find some way to take this kitty to a vet and not rely on the Internet for medicinal questions.  What if you had followed my advice????  Do you see??  And although clearly your heart is in the right place, I hope you won't give your kitty the Amox...

Again, best of luck!  Do let us know what comes of all this...
SNOOZE ALERT! I’m in a chatty mood, and this is a subject close to my heart, so I’m going to go on a bit.
First let me say that I see this is a discussion from 2 years ago – certainly not a current concern for the individual asking the question…unless the problem still exists. In any case, I found it researching partly out of curiosity. I have been finishing up an amoxicillin prescription myself for a tooth infection. I realized that I missed the last two doses (been busy and forgot), and that there was only one 500 mg pill left. Here’s where the cat issue comes in.
Since 2010, we have been caretakers for a colony of feral cats. It started with one tiny kitten abandoned under our kitchen window. She was probably only a week old and had to be bottle-fed. Today, she is still very much alive and well and pampered with not only all the privileges of a well-bred indoor cat, but also access to a 100 sq ft cattery, and almost daily lease walks. And then there are three others who have joined her, all current vaccines, all spayed, all monthly Revolution doses, cattery, leash walks, etc…
But the word got out about this place – some who know us have suggested there is a cat hobo marking on our door designating this as a good place to get a meal and chill with friends. Whatever – the colony showed up. At its highest count, including the indoor crew, it’s numbered around 21. Some have simply moved on across or down the road (we’re out in the country), a couple have disappeared – we suspect that they have gone the way of all wild things. One we had to take in to the vet to have put down, due to an injury – car or fall or bullet (yes, there are those around who shoot ferals, and as the majority of the colony are black cats, there’s that working against them) – the vet wasn’t sure.
ALL of these cats have been spayed or neutered. Since that first rescue, we have been responsible for 32 spayings – the number is a bit higher than the colony count, because we got neighbors across the road interested in trying to stop the churning out of all these kittens every spring. (On that note, I have not seen a single kitten on our road since last summer – hurrah!) I should add, since any brave soul who has read this far might be wondering – yes, we built shelters for them for winter. Pretty nice shelters actually, though not too expensive. The hay bales insulating the whole thing cost the most. I’d be happy to share the info if anyone cares to hear about it.
OK – to the point.
There have been times when it was necessary to treat injury or illness. In the beginning, I will admit I used left over prescriptions from our other cats. (I am notorious for not wanting to throw away even the smallest amount of left over medicine.) Later, I discussed the issue with our vet. The fact that we are caring for not just the few cats that they see, but a colony of what numbers around 11 or 12 now of the outside folks. I explained that the catfood costs were outrageous alone. And then there was the cost of the spayings - which, thankfully – we had some help with from an animal rescue group. Was there any way they could sell us a large prescription of antibiotics that we would have on hand in case of need? We simply could not afford to bring in more cats for personal office visits.
I love our vets; they agreed to work with us, and have given us prescriptions as we need them, without us having to bring the cats in every time. Because these are feral cats. They have been born in the wild, many of them wild for generations now. But they weren’t native to here. They’re here because this used to be farm country: crops, dairy, cattle. Only, most of the family farms have disappeared, and these cats, originally imported to help control the rodents, were left out in the cold, out of work. But still reproducing. And you may have read the statistics of how many kittens can come from just one cat left to breed indiscriminately. A whole lot. Not that they all survive; unfortunately, they tend to have rather short, scrappy, often violent lives.
But I suppose the point I’m trying to make is that almost anything we can do for them is better than nothing. If you can’t afford to take the cat to the vet, sometimes you do what you can. I don’t advocate anyone taking on a pet that they can’t afford, either money-wise or responsibility-wise.  I’ve seen too much of that already, and believe that some people should never keep animals because they lack the sense of commitment required to care for them. But - if a cat comes and jumps on your table and says “feed me and treat me” – if you feel up to the challenge, though lacking somewhat in funds - unless you know of someplace better to take it, I think it will still be better off with you doing what you CAN do, than not.
Thank you for this tale of the good work you do on behalf of what is (as you say) our responsibility for these creatures that were bred to human purposes and then discarded.

Tis a reason why I support the local feral cat rescue and a few other cat related groups and shelters.
Thanks. We certainly didn't set out to establish a feral colony; it all just kind of happened, one step at a time. It wasn't until we took in the first kitten, that the idea blossomed in my head that all these cats are here, basically, because of us.The feral rescue movement is definitely a worthwhile cause, and we're firm believers in TNR (trap - neuter - release) practices. They DO work.

Hello Tina,

I just finished reading your post. You mentioned your cat is not neutered and that he is territorial. Personally, I wouldn't let your cat outside until he is neutered if he keeps on getting into fights. Even after your cat is neutered I wouldn't let him out. We have a neutered male cat that I adopted from a cat rescue. I had to sign a contract when I adopted him.
I also had to promise not to let him outside, not that I would let him outside because it is much safer to keep cats inside. There are so many dangers outside. Personally, I wouldn't give your cat human amoxicillin. Giving cats medication can be very tricky and should only be administered by a vet and even then no human amoxicillin. I wish you and your cat well. Eve ( mother of Sammy the cat )
i have spent 600 in vet bills this week for my cat. ex-rays, urine cultures. its a bladder infection due to being stressed out over a new kitten, my cat is 5 years old and 12 lbs. he got a shot of antibiotic that is suposed to last 2 weeks and pain meds. he is now squatting again wirh bloody urine. the kitten is going to a different home because my cat is very stresses over this cat and will not clear up. i can not afford another vet visit, i love my cat and the first visit is still not all paid for. i called t anotherhe vet today and they just want me to pick up another antibiotic... very expensive... if this human ammoxicillan will help. i have capsules, someone please give me a dosage :  /
sorry for all the issues you and kitty are having, you have to give time for this antibiotic he already got to work...not add another one to it

bloody urine is not always a sign of infection..is your cat a male? was he tested for bladder crystals? this is usually the reason for blood in the urine.

is he on a dry food diet??? this is what leads to 90% or more of all bladder issues with cats
no matter what the Vets tell you, you need to feed this cat a diet of wet canned food....preferably grain FREE.

I will send you a website and for your sake and kitties I hope you read it all.
this Dr Pierson knows cats extremely well and she has excellent info

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth
THANK YOU, we moved to the country 2 years ago and now have 2 dogs and 2 cats that other wise would have starved to death or died. Money is tight, but we do what we can.  All four are spayed and neutered BUT  we also have a great vet that does what she can.  We now have a cat that is in really bad shape(war wounds) and is just now coming out to eat when I am outside.  Taking him to the vet is not an option yet.  Please do not discourage people to help, I understand the concers, but I also know the alternative.
You may already do this, but with those cats that won't allow me to dose them with meds, I will either mix the med liquids into wet food or something creamy with a high fat content (the vet told me that one - it masks the taste), or I will quarter the pill, if that's the form it comes in, and stick it into a little ball of wet food. It doesn't always work the first time, and I have to put the little pill piece into another ball, but mostly it eventually works. I had to treat a tom who showed up with one of his inner eyelids (the conjunctiva, I think it's called) all but torn out. He had other wounds as well, but I was sort of afraid he might lose the eye if it got infected. With meds, he healed up fine. I don't think the conjunctiva grew back on that eye, though. After we trapped and neutered him, he slowed down on the fighting, but we still call him our "Klingon" of the colony.
Check out Care Credit. You can make no interest payments if your vet takes it and a bill over $200.

You also need to try a calming collar for the stressed cat any time this is an issue again. They work wonders. You may need to use them over a few months. Cheapest found online.
Cats under 10 usually have this issue due to stress and cats over 10 it usually becomes a medical issue. Grain free does not help, but there are options from affordable food, dry and wet, to over priced vet prescription food for urinary issues and those do work. Lots of water and at least some wet food is helpful. Sometimes a cat won't drink if its water bowl is in an area it does not like. Help the stress reduction however you can for the cat and one of the best ways is a calming collar.
Hello! Thank you for sharing your wonderful example of one who has a kind and compassionate heart :) I wish we had vets like that where we live... we too have been caring for strays since 2001 and have had to make some heartbreaking decisions with them, maybe we can email each other? My question is how much amoxicillin can you give a 11 yr old female cat who weighs 12lbs? Is there a specific dose/mg example 400 mg 1/4 tsp 2xs a day etc? our sweet angel has an infection and we cannot afford to take her to the vets Thank you and I hope to hear from you really soon!
I sure hope u didn't give any cat 400mgs of ANY medication, that is a toxic dose!!!!! And u would now need an ER to save this kitty. A dose that high is meant for a 100 lb human being, not anywhere near what a 10-12 lb cat would receive. Please consult a Vet!
No No I didnt give her that! It was a example :) I wanted to know the MG and ML or TSPS you would give a cat but Thank you for your concern I have a dropper that has a Milliter dose and wanted to know how much
*I have used amoxicillin for cats successfully for years. I take a 500 mg capsule and mix it with 10 to 12 ml of distilled water for an equivalent mixture of 48 to 50 mg/ml once a day for a 9 lb. cat. Keep it in the refrigerator. Good for 10 days when refrigerated.  Lately, I've been treating a cat with FIV with mouth sores and it cleared up immediately after administering the mixture to the cat. He's eating fine again and gaining weight.
I too, am sick and tire of going to the vet every six months to get a shot and paying 150 dollars when I can do it myself. Total rip-off!
Start out with 1 ml of the mixture mixed with the cat's food. Amoxicillin is very bitter and cats don't like it straight. Amoxicillin mixture of a 500 mg capsule and 10 to 12 ml of distilled water for an equivalent mixture of 48 to 50 mg/ml.
I am not understanding this conversion, I am to take a 500 mg capsule, mix it with 10 ml water, how much water is that, and after mixed how much to give to 1 cat around 10lbs  Thanks
NOOOOOOO....bmas's post is not to be followed!! he is NOT explaining this well, if it works for him...I THINK he is meaning his mixture lasts for the 10 days making the dosage abt 50mg per day

Never ever just guess, you need to get good Vet advice on the correct medication and mg by weight of your kitty. this can be very toxic when given too much.
I don't know how to make this any more simple! 500 mg capsule mixed with 10 ml of distilled water gives you 50 mg'/ml. Do the math 500'/10 = 50ml or 50 cc. 1 ml equals 50 mg. If you don't know what a ml is, maybe you should go to the vet and have him'/her explain it to you. Pay them a $100 to get the answer. Nearly all syringes are marked in milliliters or cc's which is the same measurement.

When I stated 10 days I meant it's only good for 10 days from the time you mixed it. After that you have to make a new batch. It loses it's potency.

Like I stated before, I have a male cat that has FIV with mouth sores. He didn't want to eat anything because it hurt him too much but after several days of taking this amoxicillin mixture (1 ml per day mixed with can cat food) he is now eating normally (dry cat food) without problems. He no longer slobbers saliva and blood from his mouth constantly.
If you don't want to try this then go to the vet and spend $150 to $200.  
Shake the mixture thoroughly before giving it to the cat because it does settle out. Also, keep the mixture in the frig. Good for only 10 days.
You must be a very RICH vet.
1 ml equals 20 drops from a eye dropper. You can can also start out with a .5 ml or 10 drops of the mixture.
I just wish for your kitties sake that you would get him some dental help for his bad teeth rather than just temporary pain relief.
he sounds like he is a desperate need of some extractions, salivating and bleeding...you know how painful diseased teeth are, unless they are looked after he will soon stop eating once again.
we are also very against dry food on this forum, but thats another topic....if you are under the impression dry food is good for their teeth you are very wrong...they don't clean their teeth any better than eating a pretzel would clean ours, besides the pain of trying to chew with bad teeth must be unbearable
BTW I am NOT a Vet, only a concerned pet parent as is everyone else on here
I was very happy to run across this post. It still helps to have new input on old posts because people are still looking everyday. I have literally spent 1700.00,on 2 other pet, in the last 3 weeks, I am tapped out. So when Mr. Ferel Kitty that just eats off my back porch shows up leg swollen from obvious fight I think it was tough luck until I found this. I cannot even come close to this cat after 3 years still but I can watch him through the door. I will put some antibiotic in canned food, it will be a treat for him and may save his life. Thank you for the ones who give answers that may help the immediate problem. To those others who judge for not taking animal in please post where low cost is. My community has those and the hidden cost are you have to buy all those vaccines not just rabies to get that low price. At the end of the day it's still about the mighty dollar.
Thank you so much for your post. The alternative for this kitty would be a slow death.  No $ for vet. So thank you so very much for saving his life!!!!
I never give amoxicillin to my pets until they definitely have an infection.  It's not a preventative and used too often, animals and humans  can become immune to its effects and when they really do need it, it won't work.  That said,

Here's how I give pills and capsules to my cats.

First I figure out out how many doses the capsule contains.  

Example: The dose is 10 mg per pound of cat weight..  The capsule contains 500 mg.  The cat weighs 8 pounds.

(pill mg) / (mg per pound) /(weight of cat).  So if it's a 500 mg pill and the dose is 10 mg per lb and the cat weighs 8 pounds then
500mg  /  10mg per lb  /  8 lbs cat weight  =  8 and a quarter doses per capsule.

I use a marker to put a line on an eye dropper and fill it to that line with water.  Then I empty the dropper into a small bottle that has a tight cap.  If I want to be really precise, I use a syringe instead of an eye dropper.  I measure 8 equal amounts of water into the bottle.  Then I drop in the contents of the capsule or the pill and shake really will until the pill is disolved.  Sometimes I have to crush the pill into a powder if it won't disolve in water.

Now I just shake the bottle and pull up one dose in the eye dropper or syringe.  All but one of my cats love milk so I can just put the dose in a saucer of milk or in the case of the one cat, drop or spray it into his mouth by putting the dropper in the back corner behind his back teeth.  He doesn't taste it because it only hits the back of his tongue and a reflex causes him to swallow.  I follow up with a cat treat as a chaser.  

The directions on the amoxicillin the vet gives me say to keep it refrigerated after mixing.  It may not be necessary with all mixed pills but I keep them all refrigerated.  Another precaution I take is to boil all insruments or dip in  rubbing alcohol and allow to air dry and use either distilled or boiled water instead of tap water.    
Hi. I have similar problem. Someone in our area abandoned a lovely little calico who went on to have kittens. Our one cat we'd had for 16 yrs had recently died & we fed the leftover cans to the feral cats. Over time, "cally" brought kittens to our door. . . could never tame her, but took kittens in thinking we could adopt them out. Discovered cat rescue groups in area and w/help had all (her & her kittens) spayed/neutered & rabies shots. Fostered 8 kitties, able to adopt out only 2. Area shelters FULL and NOT accepting. Oh boy. We now have 5 kitties, indoor cats; 2 of them were born w/ "birth defects" -- one has a cleft palate-hole in back of his throat & some kind of connective tissue disorder which causes shakiness in his front legs-ankle area when bearing weight on them, as does his sister (tho she has no cleft palate). The other kitties (all are now approx 2-3 yrs old) are healthy appearing. VERY expensive to feed them all, relatively - we try to give best food we can afford, but can't afford vet.  We get bulk litter. If you wish to have your cats vaccinated, you can do it yourself -- it's not that hard, and very inexpensive compared to vet. Only shot you can't give is Rabies (must get certificate b/c of need to know, etc.). I APOLOGIZE IF I'M REPEATING INFO. THAT YOU ALREADY KNOW >>There are several veterinary-type websites (one is owned by vets) who sell vaccines for pet owners to give to their own animals - with video & audio instruction, if needed.  You simply buy the whole vaccine (already loaded in the approp. syringe) or you buy syringe(s) & separate vaccines. You won't be able to board the animals somewhere, however, if you give your own vaccines, b/c you won't be able to adequately verify to the facility that your animals were vaccinated. But, if you're caring for ferals, that shouldn't matter. You would do well to find a low-cost vet in your area (maybe operates out of a pet food store in the area)who will administer just a rabies shot for your animal(s) at a relatively low cost. Do 1 kitty at a time, say 1 a month, to protect the animal(s) & yourself. Get the cat(s) to wear a collar (do slowly, over time) & get the rabies tag on it. Make sure collar is NOT a break-away, else you'll lose the tag, collar, & all. If you've trapped your kitty(ies) once before for S/N service, just repeat, or, if your animal is more used to you now, it shouldn't be too hard to get them into a crate to take to the vet to get the rabies shot. I'm on-the-fence about getting the plethora of vaccines many vets advocate (except for rabies, that is), as there IS some controversy about the absolute benefit, potential for harm, not to mention cost. Although, it still is cheaper if you can buy and do those vaccines yourself (better to have a little help holding the animal).  In addition to doing my dog and cats, I used to do my horse, which is what many horse-owners also do, esp. if the animal needs to have a penicillin injection or that kind of thing (DIY, that is). You can't always have a vet running out to the farm to give the animal a daily injection! Anyway, my kitty w/cleft palate has contracted some kind of virus - or allergy - and is not doing well. He had prev. had all the vaccines & was neg. for FIV, etc.  He seems to have bad allergy or Parvo-type virus picked up in air. Have been giving Lysine - containing treats (and powder Lysine). I knew this could eventually happen to him, w/ the throat problem he has, poor dear.  Am considering trying some Amoxicillin as I've read you and other posters here discussing. Hope he's not allergic to it, so will have to go easy on the dosing to start. Have been nursing him w/ chicken broth & water via syringe, & cleaning his eyes/face with face wash. He is congested & eyes watery, & he's lethargic.  His breathing sounds congested. He wants to eat, but has been having pus-like discharge from his nose - I think he must have gotten an infection in his sinuses or -- Am very concerned he could die, & am trying to do all I can to save him, trying to keep him hydrated and nose/eyes clear, clean.  We must've brought a virus in via our feet as there is at least one other stray(?) in area that frequents our yard from time to time & may have had an infected-looking eye (seen from distance). I appreciate all comments, post-ers here.
For intestinal adverse effects after amox, such as diarrhea, plain yogurt works very well. Give about a half-teaspoon every day for a few days. Diarrhea and bloody stools can also result from changing to a different brand of food too fast. Yogurt again to the rescue, instead of the $200 some lousy vet will charge you.
Although your post is from last year, I agree with you 100%.  Just because you are not rich does not mean you should not own an animal.  I have an 8 week old kitten, it is Saturday on the Memorial Day weekend and it has developed a BAD raspy wheeze, previous litters of kittens have gotten the upper respiratory infection outdoor cats are susceptible to.  I read all the info I could find on the internet about giving animals human amoxicillin.  I do not have a bunch of money and credit cards are maxed out so the comment by someone to "use your visa and go to a vet" is a slap in the face to common pet owners.  On a holiday weekend the only choice is the Emergency Animal Clinic which costs about 5 x as much as a regular vet visit.  Rather than see my kitten die over the weekend due to some info from a "do-gooder" about not giving a cat human amox, I am taking the chance.  I did however page our vet's emergency number and he said IF YOU HAVE HUMAN AMOXICILLAN YES GIVE IT THAT.  Then he asked the milligram of the med, weight of the animal and gave me the milligram/cc amount I should give the kitten 2 x a day.  So I will see the vet on Tuesday but at least I am not just sitting around watching my kitten die because I am too afraid to do anything.  
Don't mess with the wounds at all. Don't touch them. No need for meds. Observe him for a few days and watch the healing process. Even really awful looking battle wounds form a natural ooze/fur "bandage" like a scab on your knee when you were a kid. It's not a pretty thing, but Tom kitty wounds from other Tom kitties heal up on their own just fine. If you do notice it starts smelling bad or he starts acting sick or lathargic then of course go to the vet. The real danger is that he will contract a seroius cat disease from getting bitten during fighting. Get him fixed and he'll stop peeing in the house and acting like a fruit pie.
my god I hope you keeping this cat in now. If it's a part of the family as you say then its your job to keep him safe. No matter how many years the cat has been out. It's a matter of him living or dying now. Gets in fights weekly? ....please keep him in