Cats Community
How much human amoxicillin for a 9 lb cat for battle wounds?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

I have a orange stripped tabby who is about 2-3 yrs old. (He showed up on my dining room table a few months ago and is now a part of the family!)  He is not neutered and seems to be very territorial. He gets into fights about once a week and comes in with battle wounds.  This time he really took a beating.  He has scrapes all over his face and legs. His front paw was bleeding and he wouldn't put pressure on it. I can not afford to take him to the vet (lost job) but I don't want his wounds to become infected. I have a new prescription of Amoxicillin 500ml that was for my 17 yr old daughter for a potential sinus infection. I know I can give human Amoxicillin to cats but I am uncertain as to how much from the capsule I should sprinkle on his food and how often. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. =^.^=
Hi Tina and welcome...

While yes this can be used, I am going to discourage your idea for many reasons, but the Main one is, you don't want to use an antib unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE there is an infection.

What I would do instead is dab some Hydrogen Peroxide on the cuts along with a little Neosporin and THEN make every effort to get this kitty neutered.  Check with your local shelter - they may have certain days in the month where low cost spay/neuter is offered.  Otherwise this issue will be endless; your boy may get seriously hurt along with more unwanted kittens in the world.  

Should you choose to go ahead with the Amox, the dosing info below is from "Pet Place".  Please read it ALL carefully because if there IS an infection, it depends on what TYPE of infection as far as the length of time on this drug.  This info will be unknown without a vet visit.  Good luck!  

Info from Pet Place cont in next post...
****Precautions and Side Effects****

>>>While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian,   amoxicillin can cause side effects in some animals.
>>>Amoxicillin should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
>>>Amoxicillin may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with amoxicillin. Such drugs include the antibiotics chloramphenicol and tetracycline.
>>>It is common for animals to develop diarrhea or loose stools following treatment with oral amoxicillin because this antibiotic can change the bacterial population of the pet's intestinal tract. If your pet has diarrhea, notify your veterinarian.

****Dosing Information****

>>>Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.

>>>The typical dose of amoxicillin ranges from 5 to 12 mg per pound (10 to 25 mg/kg), two or three times a day.

>>>The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects.

>>>Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse or prevent the development of resistance.
I'm just going to but in here and agree fully with what Jade has recommended that you please find a way somehow to get this poor boy fixed before he is seriously injured..than what will you pay to have him put down? I don't want to judge b/c I know you care and are trying but he can't continue to get so beat up like this its heartbreaking.

I will also weight in on the amoxicillian, like Jade said NEVER use unless there is a very strong evidence of an infection, peroxide is a much safer treatment for surface wounds...UNLESS it becomes infected with raw/oozing/smelly evidence.

I will send you another site from drugs.com
the dosage there is the similar as what Jade quoted...5-10mg/per lb so for a 9 lb cat 45-90mg(max) but this site says ONCE per day for 5-7days....

so you would need to divide your 500mg CAPSULE by 11x...which is very hard to get exact. besides a cat will not likely eat it sprinkled in his food...as its very bitter tasting.

I would highly recommend you not try this. wishing kitty the best and hoping he goes in for a neuter real soon:))
sorry forgot to add the site, its never given to a cat in capsule form, only tablets that can be divided or in a liquid.....

http://www.drugs.com/vet/amoxi-tabs-cats.html
Hey again....

I want to open with the fact we are all just pet owners like yourself.  And what happened above....me finding info saying 3Xday, then Opus finding the CORRECT dosage of ONCE per day....just goes to show why you need to find some way to take this kitty to a vet and not rely on the Internet for medicinal questions.  What if you had followed my advice????  Do you see??  And although clearly your heart is in the right place, I hope you won't give your kitty the Amox...

Again, best of luck!  Do let us know what comes of all this...
SNOOZE ALERT! I’m in a chatty mood, and this is a subject close to my heart, so I’m going to go on a bit.
First let me say that I see this is a discussion from 2 years ago – certainly not a current concern for the individual asking the question…unless the problem still exists. In any case, I found it researching partly out of curiosity. I have been finishing up an amoxicillin prescription myself for a tooth infection. I realized that I missed the last two doses (been busy and forgot), and that there was only one 500 mg pill left. Here’s where the cat issue comes in.
Since 2010, we have been caretakers for a colony of feral cats. It started with one tiny kitten abandoned under our kitchen window. She was probably only a week old and had to be bottle-fed. Today, she is still very much alive and well and pampered with not only all the privileges of a well-bred indoor cat, but also access to a 100 sq ft cattery, and almost daily lease walks. And then there are three others who have joined her, all current vaccines, all spayed, all monthly Revolution doses, cattery, leash walks, etc…
But the word got out about this place – some who know us have suggested there is a cat hobo marking on our door designating this as a good place to get a meal and chill with friends. Whatever – the colony showed up. At its highest count, including the indoor crew, it’s numbered around 21. Some have simply moved on across or down the road (we’re out in the country), a couple have disappeared – we suspect that they have gone the way of all wild things. One we had to take in to the vet to have put down, due to an injury – car or fall or bullet (yes, there are those around who shoot ferals, and as the majority of the colony are black cats, there’s that working against them) – the vet wasn’t sure.
ALL of these cats have been spayed or neutered. Since that first rescue, we have been responsible for 32 spayings – the number is a bit higher than the colony count, because we got neighbors across the road interested in trying to stop the churning out of all these kittens every spring. (On that note, I have not seen a single kitten on our road since last summer – hurrah!) I should add, since any brave soul who has read this far might be wondering – yes, we built shelters for them for winter. Pretty nice shelters actually, though not too expensive. The hay bales insulating the whole thing cost the most. I’d be happy to share the info if anyone cares to hear about it.
OK – to the point.
There have been times when it was necessary to treat injury or illness. In the beginning, I will admit I used left over prescriptions from our other cats. (I am notorious for not wanting to throw away even the smallest amount of left over medicine.) Later, I discussed the issue with our vet. The fact that we are caring for not just the few cats that they see, but a colony of what numbers around 11 or 12 now of the outside folks. I explained that the catfood costs were outrageous alone. And then there was the cost of the spayings - which, thankfully – we had some help with from an animal rescue group. Was there any way they could sell us a large prescription of antibiotics that we would have on hand in case of need? We simply could not afford to bring in more cats for personal office visits.
I love our vets; they agreed to work with us, and have given us prescriptions as we need them, without us having to bring the cats in every time. Because these are feral cats. They have been born in the wild, many of them wild for generations now. But they weren’t native to here. They’re here because this used to be farm country: crops, dairy, cattle. Only, most of the family farms have disappeared, and these cats, originally imported to help control the rodents, were left out in the cold, out of work. But still reproducing. And you may have read the statistics of how many kittens can come from just one cat left to breed indiscriminately. A whole lot. Not that they all survive; unfortunately, they tend to have rather short, scrappy, often violent lives.
But I suppose the point I’m trying to make is that almost anything we can do for them is better than nothing. If you can’t afford to take the cat to the vet, sometimes you do what you can. I don’t advocate anyone taking on a pet that they can’t afford, either money-wise or responsibility-wise.  I’ve seen too much of that already, and believe that some people should never keep animals because they lack the sense of commitment required to care for them. But - if a cat comes and jumps on your table and says “feed me and treat me” – if you feel up to the challenge, though lacking somewhat in funds - unless you know of someplace better to take it, I think it will still be better off with you doing what you CAN do, than not.
Thank you for this tale of the good work you do on behalf of what is (as you say) our responsibility for these creatures that were bred to human purposes and then discarded.

Tis a reason why I support the local feral cat rescue and a few other cat related groups and shelters.
Thanks. We certainly didn't set out to establish a feral colony; it all just kind of happened, one step at a time. It wasn't until we took in the first kitten, that the idea blossomed in my head that all these cats are here, basically, because of us.The feral rescue movement is definitely a worthwhile cause, and we're firm believers in TNR (trap - neuter - release) practices. They DO work.

Hello Tina,

I just finished reading your post. You mentioned your cat is not neutered and that he is territorial. Personally, I wouldn't let your cat outside until he is neutered if he keeps on getting into fights. Even after your cat is neutered I wouldn't let him out. We have a neutered male cat that I adopted from a cat rescue. I had to sign a contract when I adopted him.
I also had to promise not to let him outside, not that I would let him outside because it is much safer to keep cats inside. There are so many dangers outside. Personally, I wouldn't give your cat human amoxicillin. Giving cats medication can be very tricky and should only be administered by a vet and even then no human amoxicillin. I wish you and your cat well. Eve ( mother of Sammy the cat )
i have spent 600 in vet bills this week for my cat. ex-rays, urine cultures. its a bladder infection due to being stressed out over a new kitten, my cat is 5 years old and 12 lbs. he got a shot of antibiotic that is suposed to last 2 weeks and pain meds. he is now squatting again wirh bloody urine. the kitten is going to a different home because my cat is very stresses over this cat and will not clear up. i can not afford another vet visit, i love my cat and the first visit is still not all paid for. i called t anotherhe vet today and they just want me to pick up another antibiotic... very expensive... if this human ammoxicillan will help. i have capsules, someone please give me a dosage :  /
sorry for all the issues you and kitty are having, you have to give time for this antibiotic he already got to work...not add another one to it

bloody urine is not always a sign of infection..is your cat a male? was he tested for bladder crystals? this is usually the reason for blood in the urine.

is he on a dry food diet??? this is what leads to 90% or more of all bladder issues with cats
no matter what the Vets tell you, you need to feed this cat a diet of wet canned food....preferably grain FREE.

I will send you a website and for your sake and kitties I hope you read it all.
this Dr Pierson knows cats extremely well and she has excellent info

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth
THANK YOU, we moved to the country 2 years ago and now have 2 dogs and 2 cats that other wise would have starved to death or died. Money is tight, but we do what we can.  All four are spayed and neutered BUT  we also have a great vet that does what she can.  We now have a cat that is in really bad shape(war wounds) and is just now coming out to eat when I am outside.  Taking him to the vet is not an option yet.  Please do not discourage people to help, I understand the concers, but I also know the alternative.
You may already do this, but with those cats that won't allow me to dose them with meds, I will either mix the med liquids into wet food or something creamy with a high fat content (the vet told me that one - it masks the taste), or I will quarter the pill, if that's the form it comes in, and stick it into a little ball of wet food. It doesn't always work the first time, and I have to put the little pill piece into another ball, but mostly it eventually works. I had to treat a tom who showed up with one of his inner eyelids (the conjunctiva, I think it's called) all but torn out. He had other wounds as well, but I was sort of afraid he might lose the eye if it got infected. With meds, he healed up fine. I don't think the conjunctiva grew back on that eye, though. After we trapped and neutered him, he slowed down on the fighting, but we still call him our "Klingon" of the colony.