Cats Community
How to stop neutered male from spraying?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

I have 2 neutered male cats.  We have never had a problem with them using the litter box or even sharing it.  I suspected that one of them wasn't using the litter box, which is in the basement, because I could smell cat urine in the basement even when the cat box was clean.  I saw our younger cat who is 5 yrs back up to my sons guitar and wiggle his tail....he sprayed .  

What would cause a neutered male to start spraying?  How do I break him of it?

I think I'll take him to the vet for a check up and urinalysis.  How do you get a urine sample from a cat anyhow?  
Take him to the vet and get him checked. sometimes testosterone levels build up sufficiently that a neutered male will begin spraying again.

try using feliway. I've heard people have had some success with this product and stopping neutered male spraying.

Also, be sure to clean the area properly with an enzymatic cleaner!
I agree. Take him to the vet because it could also be related to health problems. If they feel pain while urinating in the box, they will certainly associate the box with something bad, something they need to get away from because it's causing pain and discomfort. Cats with UTI or even other issues not related to the bladder, like Inflammatory Bowel Disease (I'm the owner of an IBD cat) can urinate outside the box.

And, in the mean time, try cleaning with anything you can possibly think of that will serve as repellent also. For instance, bitter apple is a cat repellent. Vinegar is also good to clean the mess. You can also find some good products at the pet store.

Your only problem is, while they eliminate stains, the vast majority of these products do not take away the ammonia odor fast enough. As long as your cat smells his own ammonia, he will think that your son's guitar is the bathroom and proper place to evacuate etc.

But, there is always a root cause for this behavior. Getting him checked as soon as possible, at this point, is your best bet.

Good luck!
I have a 6 yr (indoor...leash trained for outside)old male who is doing the same thing, he has been checked over by a vet with no results...vet thinks its because he smells other males coming into the back yard.
to answer yr question on urine sample for a cat, its quite simple.
your vet will give u some small glass beads...abt the size of kitty litter, put these into a clean try and isolate the kitty from the others in the household, when he pee's...just pour the uring from the beads(does not absorb) into a clean container also from your vet....good luck
Yes take it to the vet to rule out physical problems.

Have you tried to use a different litter? If you have a scented one, change for an unscented one - cats prefer them!

And do not clean the area your cat sprayed on with bleach: cats love bleach! Instead clean it with an enzyme spray.

And plugging a Feliway in the sprayed area would also be a good idea!
Hi there,
My two year old neutered male cat also has been spraying inside the house. We have cleaned the whole house with biological washing powder and then when the clean areas are dry, with water and surgical spirits as advised by our vet. However, after 3 days he is spraying around the house again. Can you advise about what you said about the testosterone levels - how would we check if this was the problem? The vet didn't seem to think there could possibly be a physical cause. He was quite sharp and dismissive towards us when we asked his advice. He put the problem down to a neighbours cat coming into the house when the back door is open. We do 'shoo' the cat away when we see him but we are not there all of the time so this is difficult.
Any advise? Oh, we tried Feliway plug in - no difference!
thank you for reading
Fudgecake
I have same issue, we have cat who was stray who moved in over 18 months ago, he was then entire but cats protections neutered him. We already had two neutered males when he arrived and he does not get on wonderfully with them. We have one that is scared of him and hides and the other they hang around but he hisses when he comes near.

The new one sprays all the time, have cleaned house, sprayed fellway and tried the plug in but it still continues. I will attempt to take to vet and see but really think he is just guarding his smell.... not that i can smell it as unlike when he was a tom the smell has almost fully gone.

ANy ideas greatfully received.
hi.....if you click on archives at the top of this forum and do a search on...peeing outside of the litter box or something similar it will bring up tons of opinions on the common topic....I'll also send you a link to a thread with some discussion as well.
In a nut shell first get rid of the scent, need to use a product called urine off or bac out avail at pet shops....needs to have the enzyme to kill the scent or kitty will detect and keep using.
next...get him checked out for urinary crystals....
and finally stop feeding dry food if thats what he's on....needs can food with the much higher moisture content or crystals will form and block the urethra...

good luck hon.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/My-cats-are-all-the-sudden-urinating-in-our-new-roommates-room/show/1260293