Cats Community
Just Say NO To Convenia.. This is a dangerous drug...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Hello Everyone,

I was asked to post my information and video about Convenia here. This drug isn't safe due to how long it stays in the system alone. If your cat or dog has a bad reaction it will be very difficult to counteract that. I hope this will help someone avoid the death or harm of their beloved cat or dog. Please inform yourselves about Convenia if you're not familiar with and request that NO CONVENIA be put in the charts. Lets take this drug off the market for good..

My cat Angelina had a reaction to Convenia only 10 days before she passed away. I did a necropsy at Cornell Hospital Pathology Dept. They found that they think she had liver adenoma/ cholangiocarcinoma as well as acute myeloid leukemia. In spite of the fact that she had an end stage liver cancer, it seems, nothing to that effect showed up in her blood work until 4 days after the Convenia shot. At that point her AST was elevated but not tremendously and they thought she had an infection. 4 days after that she had become severely anemic, there was no sign of anemia in any of her blood work before this. She also had a 4 minute claw test, which means she took 4 minutes to stop bleeding.

The findings at Cornell said that they did not believe Convenia caused her anemia, not because it wasn't possible, but because Convenia hasn't been reported to cause anemia. This isn't true, read Dr. Pierson's website, read Pfizer's own foreign market results which state it has caused hemolytic anemia- I have also communicated with someone else whose cat developed hemolytic anemia and who passed away after 4 blood transfusions and I have read other accounts of anemic reactions. So this drug does cause anemia as well as many other severe effects.

When Angie received Convenia she had what seemed to be a cold which wasn't going away, she didn't seem gravely ill at that point. She had had some weight loss in July, but her blood work was normal. We did a thyroid panel in September which was fine. Then she had some hair loss for which I never found out the cause yet.

After Convenia, she developed a high fever, she became extremely doped, she was hiding in the closet and she stopped eating completely. Throughout this she kept seeming to revive as if her body was trying to fight off the reaction. She was given Orbax and her fever lowered and she ate three dishes of food, but then she regressed and started hiding again.. it was at this point I believe the anemia began... I had given her fluids at home and the next day when I brought her for an ultrasound of her abdomen, they thought from an xray that she had possible pancreatitis and had given her more meds for that, she had a large bruise at the site of the fluids.

That day her dvm told me she was severely anemic and she thought Angie was dying... the dvm was very upset- she was crying. I took Angie to a speciality hospital where she was given iv fluids, pain killers and tested. They told me that night they were considering Convenia as a cause of her anemia, I had just read all about it, not having been warned of any of the severe side effects, and I called them to tell them about that. I decided to take her home and try to treat both the cancer and the FeLV( see below) with steroids and other drugs, but I knew the next day she was in too much pain and I had to let her go.

Now that it has been determined that she had a non felv related cancer, as well as acute myeloid leukemia, which could or could not have been caused by FeLV, she had one inconclusive and one positive eliza test but no IFA test, which I was finally informed of the day she left the speciality hospital, I fear that both Pfizer and dvm societies will not believe that Convenia played a role in her death.

I still plan to file reports with Pfizer and with the FDA as well as warn everyone I can not to use Convenia. I will never use this drug again- I had already refused it once in July when Angie developed a cold after receiving two vaccinations. I had stopped vaccinating my cats due to health issues and I decided to do a rabies which I was still doing as well as a distemper. I think that was the trigger for her FeLV, assuming she really had this, because it stimulated her immune system too much. Angie was one of two kits of a feral queen  who was put to sleep in a shelter, I believe that she may have contracted felv from her mom and then fought it off, but the virus hid in her bone marrow to later resurface.

I had never heard of Convenia before that but I rejected it on the basis that it stays in the system too long. I will always regret giving her Convenia, but had I been warned about the severe side effects reported in foreign market studies I NEVER would have allowed it. I think it is crazy that DVM aren't required to warn us about all of this.   Please see my video Just Say NO to Convenia at youtube.

Please inform yourself because no one else is going to unless this drug is removed from the market, which is my goal. Don't risk the health and lives of your beloved fur babies. There are plenty of safe alternatives to Convenia. I would avoid Baytril also as I have read that it causes blindness and possibly other effects.

Please see my video "Just Say NO To Convenia"  linked below for further information on how to treat an adverse Convenia reaction- aggressive probiotic therapy has been used successfully.

Here is a list of adverse reactions reported in the foreign market study conducted by Pfizer: Please report all adverse events to Pfizer and to the FDA. 1-800-366-5288

FOREIGN MARKET EXPERIENCE: The following adverse events were reported voluntarily during post-approval use of the product in dogs and cats in foreign markets:
death, tremors/ataxia, seizures, anaphylaxis, acute pulmonary edema, facial edema, injection site reactions (alopecia, scabs, necrosis, and erythema), hemolytic anemia, salivation, pruritus, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and inappetance.
For a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) or to report a suspected adverse reaction call Pfizer Animal Health at 1-800-366-5288.

"High doses of Cefovecin sodium (Convenia) can cause nephrotoxicity, neurotoxicity, hepatitis, changes in the blood leukogram and thrombocytopenia." *This is from Pfizer or another drug promoter's own literature- unfortunately for some cats and dogs this happens with one NORMAL dose.

Occasionally, cephalosporins and NSAIDs have been associated with myelotoxicity, thereby creating a toxic neutropenia4. Other hematological reactions seen with cephalosporins include neutropenia, anemia, hypoprothrombinemia, thrombocytopenia, prolonged prothrombin time (PT) and partial thromboplastin time (PTT), platelet dysfunction and transient increases in serum aminotransferases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk4MnjGUCGo
thanks for the post...will keep bumping it up to keep it current...I want everyone to read!!!
Thank you so much!
you're very welcome :)
bump.....
If anyone ever suggests this drug to my current cat or any future cats, I will definitely tell them I don't want to use this drug.  It's kinder to put a cat to sleep in a hopeless case than to put a cat through all of that.
My cat recently passed away just 10 days after receiving Convenia.
I read your article AFTER the vet administered this drug for rhinitis. I wish I read it sooner... I would have never allowed Convenia. The vet said they "have good luck with this drug", no counter indications, no side effects to worry about. My cat Cloud was 16 years old. He began coughing and sneezing in April, and when I saw blood droplets in the sneezing I tool him to the vet. He dad strong heart, the air was going to the lungs, his temperature was normal, but he lost weight. The vet suggested MRI thinking it is cancer. He recommended Convenia thinking there was an infection. I think, after many sleepless days and nights since then, that there was something in the cheep litter I buy usually from no-name supermarket No-Frills in Toronto. I noticed that all 3 of my cats were sneezing more frequently after the new box of litter. The other 2 cats got over it and I returned the product. Cloud was not so lucky. He probably did have an infection because he started to eat less and even passed on his favorite shrimp... After Convenia sneezing stopped in 48 hours, there was no running nose. My joy did not last. On the third day Cloud became lethargic, hardly ate. On the fourth day he did not eat or drink but secluded himself. I called the vet and laid on him everything I read about Convenia. He did not know that it stays in the system for 65 days, was unaware of Phizer's "foreign market experience" and stood by his diagnosis of co-morbidity. Cloud showed no signs of any disease, he was playful and active throughout his episode with coughing and sneezing. For sure he had an infection that interfered with his smell but it was not viral, my other cats are fine. Convenia killed Cloud. The name sais it all. It's the vet's delight. It is the source of self blame... Thank you for posting the truth about Convenia. I will now report adverse events to Pfizer and to the FDA

Remoreseful Alexander
I am very sorry for your loss Alexander, thank you for sharing Clouds story with us....we all have to keep getting the word out there for everyone to be aware of.
We trust our Vet's and treatment of our babies thinking they are in the know, however like with any medication even the ones we humans are prescribed...we need to be vigilant and informed.

God bless little Cloud, may you RIP...knowing you were loved♥
My cat, which I consider my child received one dose of Convenia yesterday afternon at 2pm. I had my husband go without me, since I was unable to. What a mistake that was. My husband never cared to ask what is the safest way of treating an abscess in the front leg. I would have asked the doctor to confirm what bacteria is he infected with, so the correct antibiotic, if needed, is given. So pissed!!! He was given the injection, then my husband was told to give Orbax; another type of antibiotic; I guess a double whammy. Why not just confirm infection with bloodwork and have the abscess lanced and drained? I would have paid the money. I will update you all. I will go to the media if my cat is affected in any way. And to know Convenia stays in the system for over 60 days????? My husband should have been warned.
don't blame your husband dear, most Vets aren't aware or don't recognize there is an issue with convenia....takes tons of complaints before they wake up and listen.
I just hope your baby isn't one that reacts to this horrible medication, many are okay with it....so lets just keep our fingers crossed, keep a close watch on him especially for excessive lethargy, don't know if there is an antidote..but be sure and ask just in case...
good luck to your dear sweet baby...keep us posted....
I can promise you this, opus88, if my cat comes out just fine, I still care about other cats out there. I will research and call multiple vets in my community. I will update everyone on how educated the vets are in South Florida. Right now, Blu is responding well. He is back to his usual self. He has not lost his appetite; he is going potty normally; no nausea. His abscess is 50% smaller now. I am still hoping the 64 days goes by fast since I heard Convenia stays in system that long. Thank you, opus88. P.S If one knows if a med stays in your system for over 30 days, then a doctor needs to make sure beforehand if cat will have a reaction. The pet owner should also be given other alternatives.
good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you are so very right, a pet owner should always be made aware of any negatives about any medication....always!!
so happy your boy is tolerating it well and is coming along so good.....great news:))
My 12 year old female shepherd cross was given Convenia( one injection) for a small hot spot skin infection on her abdomen in Feb. 2013. I would have been satisfied with giving her oral Keflex for 7-10 days to treat this condition as she has been on this antibiotic before with no ill effects. However, the Vet treating my dog suggested "Convenia". One time injection and stays in the system for approximately 2 weeks according to the vet. Easy/ breezy according to the Vet. She had also had baseline blood work done and yearly vaccines completed with this visit as well.
Happily I went home with my dog thinking she is covered. Well, not more than 24 hours later, my dog was weak, stunned and could hardly walk. She did not appear to respond to the calling her name or to go outside. She fell off the second step of our deck and appeared very confused as to her environment. She also appeared very lethargic and no appetite.
Called our Vet(as I had trusted the care provided for many years) and said that I thought something was seriously wrong since the visit the day before. The Vet said that they were unsure what the sudden deterioration in condition could be from. Really???
Only thing new....Convenia. She almost died as her kidneys and liver values went through the roof. I was so upset that I had not asked more questions. Our dog had several hospital admissions, IV fluids and Cerenia to alleviate the nausea so she might start eating again. Then followed the associated weight loss. We were so frightened that we were going to lose her. and serious discusion that it might be best to euthanize her if she does not improve..once again..really????  I asked the Vet on numerous occasions during her related hospital stays that I thought that the  Convenia made her sick .  The research that I did about Convenia after my dog got sick in fact made me believe that the drug  made her ill. Many comments posted about the owners and their pets demonstrates that this Convenia  drug used is unsafe. Our Vet side stepped /avoided any discussion about the fact that the drug may in fact made our dog so sick she almost died. How does an animal have a chance when it stays in the system for up to 60 days and there is no way to reverse the effects of this drug. I am usually very stringent about my pets and any drugs/ treatments. This one time, I trusted my Vet to keep my dog safe and do no harm. The Vet's only response was "all drugs have potential side effects" and assured me it was safe and had good results when used in cats?????? I can thankfully say our dog survived this horrible ordeal and seems to be herself again.  To those who have lost your precious pets..my heartfelt thoughts are with you.
The lesson in all this... I will never blindly trust again. My dog almost died . Hope this helps someone out there.
thanks for posting about your experience, so glad your dog was okay. I hope you will also post this in the Dog community, heres a link. thanks again

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dogs/show/4
Thank you for posting this.  My dog was going to have Convenia tomorrow.  I will stick with the pills.  I am so glad I read your post.  If you think about it, who is making more money when the drug causes all these medical problems.  
Sadly, our 12 year old female Shepherd cross was euthanized on July 6/2013. We believe that she truly never recovered from the Convenia she received in February 2013 which did irreparable damage to her liver and kidneys. She was a wonderful rescue with unwavering loyalty. We will miss her greatly.
Lesson in all of this once again....ask questions(and lots of them) and do your research. Vets are not about to bash pharmaceutical companies who are their suppliers. Lastly, once again...I hope this helps someone out there.
I am so sorry for your loss, ready218.  Thank you for sharing your story here.  

Hugs to you~
Our kitty Worf just had a Convenia injection yesterday, and today had diarrhea and vomiting after meals.  I took him back, armed with the information that my husband researched this morning, and told the vet that Convenia has been found to be unsafe and potentially causes death.  The vet said not to believe everything on the internet, and that they had found the Convenia had never caused any problems that they had been told of and had considered adverse reactions to be extremely rare.  I, too, had not been told of the possible side effects, I had only taken Worf in due to trouble urinating....I had thought he had crystals possibly.

They re-hydrated him, and gave him something for his upset tummy, and some easy soft food to eat.  He seems to be ok for now, but I am still holding my breath for the next few weeks based on what I have read in the previous posts...my heart goes out to the mommies and daddies of those who have passed away.
Hi there.  Please try not to panic.  The incidents ARE likely to be sporadic in comparison to how often this drug is given...which is no consolation to the owner who lost their dear pet.  I am not advocating this drug in the least, just being realistic.  I think this drug should be removed from the market simply due to the longevity it stays in the system.  If the pet should have a reaction, they hardly have a chance. I have a note in my kitty's records not to be given Convenia.  

I will be keeping your Worf in my prayers.  Please keep us posted.  
Thanks Jade, inspite of all that I wrote, I actually believe that if I concentrate on thinking that Worf is so sick, that it can manifest it to be true...energetically speaking.  I keep telling him that he's going to be fine, I keep petting him and telling he's a handsome boy and that his kitty brother Sparky loves him too.

Thanks for you kind support Jade,  I will keep the board posted.
Regards
:-)
Yes, a self fulfilling prophecy; I believe in that, too.  Just keep positive like you're doing, and we will too.  

...and welcome to the forum!  :)
I hope that your "handsome boy" will be okay.  I am sorry to hear about these difficulties and adverse related effects possibly linked to Convenia usage. I am deeply concerned about supposed "safety margins " claimed by those who supply and to those who administer this drug to animals. You are being thought of in hopes of a speedy recovery for your beloved feline. . I can truly relate to what you are going through. Stay strong.
I am so worried!  1 week ago our cat of 16 years was given a shot of covenia for a rash on her leg.  That evening she started acting strange, wouldn't move out of one spot, stopped urinating in her litter box, and was lethargic.  I have been watching her and even asked the vet what was going on.  Last night I noticed she was falling when she walked, couldn't see very well, and was very sick.  Took her to the vet and just got a call from them.  they said that Covenia could not have caused any of this, she has some neurologic problems, bleeding behing her right eye and some behind her left, can't see out of right eye and very little out of left, can hardly walk, can't see to drink, etc...  Let me remind you she was fine prior to the doctor giving her this shot for a rash.  I am so lost!!!!  Has others seen this happen to their pets?
please scroll to the top of this post and read all the remarks about convenia, its a very dangerous drug...many cats and dogs have severe reactions to it and b/c it remains in their systems so long it doesn't clear and allow the poor animal to recover...
the symptoms you describe are a very serious reaction....I am very sorry.
Your Vet is either not reading reports of these negative reactions or he is refusing to believe the truth right in front of his nose...
I am not a doctor however it will be very difficult if not impossible for a kitty of 16 to overcome such a severe reaction....I hope you won't allow your kitty to suffer.
again let me stress how sorry I am to read this and to once again hear of a kitty given this terrible drug...
((hugs)) to you both.
Hi FurballsMom,

I agree it is always kinder to do that. However, in Angie's case and in many other cases where comprimised cats or dogs were given Convenia and had severe reactions we will never know now if other treatments could have saved them or extended their lives and how much damage Convenia actually did.
hello cwrightrnmsn,

I find it horrendous that dvm are continually denying that these events are a reaction to Convenia when it is sooooo obvious that they are. Someone whose perfectly healthy cat passed 1-2 days after Convenia said her dvm told her initially that he thought it was definitely Convenia that caused his death and then backtracked on that when she wanted to file a report! Come on dvm, do your blood job here!! For the love of God STOP using this dangerous drug!!! I have rarely seen such a case of UNBELIEVABLE denial and in some cases deception in my life maybe in veterinary medicine.

Please go to the FB page and get more info there about how to treat a convenia reaction: you can use probiotics such as benebac and forti flora or apple cider vinegar to try to stop the reaction while the drug clears from their body. I'm saying a prayer/wish that your furbaby will recover 100%. hugs
Please don't give up.. you have no idea whether your cat will respond to probiotic therapy or not and there is no harm in trying that unless he is severe pain, having a lot of trouble breathing etc. or something like that.
These incidents are unfortunately not sporadic,  we dont' really know what the statistics are because there are no proper statistics. Dvm are so obviously in denial and some are being deceptive as is Pfizer/Zoetica. Go to the fb page for convenia adverse reactions, there are many heartbreaking reports there, and those are only the people who come online to report this and who don't accept their dvm telling them that the death or maiming of their cat or dog was not in any way due to a convenia injection directly proceeding that event. Remember we're talking about some perfectly healthy cats and dogs here who died traumatically after Convenia, and also many compromised cats and dogs who died, it makes no difference that they were ill already, Convenia played a role and it should never be given at all. I'm glad you have NO CONVENIA written in red in the charts, I advice everyone to do this. It's time for dvm to take responsibility, to follow the rule of "do no harm" and stop using this drug!
I hope Worf will be ok and if I were you I would start him on a probiotic: benebac or fortiflora or you can try apple cider vinegar. People have used all of these to counteract the convenia reaction while the drug comes out of the body. I changed dvm over Angie's death and their behavior afterwards. I spoke with her dvm about the convenia reaction, not only did she try to discourage me from doing a necropsy but she and the head dvm then maligned me in a report to Cornell after I went ahead and did it anyway. The also charged me an atrocious amount of money for that report while Cornell only charged me $125 for the actual necropsy. When I told her she should stop using Convenia, she said: what else will I use?... Come on, this drug has only been on the market for 4-5 years... just use the other safe drugs you were using before that don't remain in the system this long and very rarely cause any type of reaction let alone death and severe reactions. How lame can you be? Stop using this drug!!! Is convenience really worth risking the life of your patients? imho NO, NO, NO and NO again!!!!!!
I'm very sorry for the loss of your beloved furbaby Cross, may she rest in peace. I'm sorry for your pain. I feel heart broken each time I read another case of Convenia causing the death or maiming of another precious life. There is no excuse for this, what is happening is reprehensible. I can only hope that dvm will stand up and stop this from happening anymore by boycotting the drug.
I'm so sorry Alexander, I wish more than anything that you had read the article before this happened. Please don't blame yourself, you trusted the dvm to use a safe drug and they simply aren't doing their job here. They are denying reality. Please accept my sincere sympathies for the loss of Cloud, there was no reason for him to die... other than pure greed and lack of responsible practice of medicine. May he rest in peace. He knows how much you loved him and he doesn't blame you I'm sure. I understand your burden as I feel the same, think I was crazy to ever have allowed this drug as I rejected it the first time it was pushed on me.

I hope you will help me in my single woman struggle to get the word out about Convenia, I'm doing this in the name of Angelina, light of my life, and all the other furbabies who have died or have been maimed and affected by Convenia. I can't do it alone, please everyone, tell everyone you know, dvm, friends/family, total strangers not to use this drug and report every reaction, that is all we can do at this point to to deceptive pharma practices and greed. Have your dvm write in their file in red ink: NO CONVENIA UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Make flyers and pass them out everywhere, maybe we can save some lives this way and maybe we can even stop the use of Convenia eventually. I hope so!
I hope Blu is ok and enjoying his life as I write this. I hope you will continue to help me get the word out about Convenia so that there will be no more deaths, reactions and maimings.. we need to stop the use of Convenia for good. Boycott Convenia!!!
I want to add something to my Convenia Article: a few days ago a dvm in Eastern Europe came to the FB Convenia Adverse Reactions page and told us her story about Convenia: I thought you might be interested to read it and know that there is at least one dvm who realizes convenia is a dangerous drug and who has the intelligence to use it and balls to stand up to big pharma and to her collegues... here is what she wrote:

"Marzena P-a
Hi all. I would like to share something with You. I'm a vet and I don't use convenia. I tried to talk to my friend vets on forums about the risks of convenia, but got attacked by university proffesors and regular vets, called young and stupid/uneducated and else. The prof was in US on convenia conference so I assume they were brainwashed.
I saw a dog dying a day after the shot (treated by a friend vet)and I would never give it to an animal.
Some days ago a guy came to my office, dressed well, all smiles etc. He was from this company and advising vets on convenia. I told him it was dangerous and I don't want to talk about it. He made wide eyes and said there were no reports over years. I said there was surely one, because I saw that. After some talking he admitted he recived that report and been there to collect the papers. What a liar!"
oops, obviously I meant she has the intelligence NOT to use Convenia.. and the balls to stand up to all the nay sayers and liars....
I also want to add that I have confused the name of the company who Pfizer sold there animal division to, It's apparently Zoetis, not Zoetica. Anyone who wants to report a reaction to Zoetis can find that information here:

Reporting an Adverse Event
To report a possible adverse event associated with a Zoetis product, including human exposure, contact the Veterinary Medical Information Support Team in your country using the drop down menu below. In the U.S., call 1-888-Zoetis1 (1-888-963-8471).

Questions About Zoetis Products
For questions about Zoetis products or to report a product defect, contact the Customer Service team in your country using the drop down menu below. In the U.S., call 1-888-Zoetis1 (1-888-963-8471).

Media Inquiries
E-mail ***@****.

Once you have reported the event to Zoetis, they will give you a case number, you can then add that to your FDA report. You do not need veterinary approval to make these reports, simply call Zoetis, it only takes a phone call, and then download the form from the FDA website link below. Zoetis will collect your dvm information and contact them for any information they may need about the reaction.

http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/reportaproblem/ucm055305.htm

Here is the full link for the FDA adverse report information:

Once you file your reports please don't forget to write down your case number and to do a follow up.

You can also make a report to your state veterinary/health board if your cat or dog was given Convenia without warning you about the severe side effects. Doing this will make your dvm think twice about using this dangerous drug without giving information about all of the dangerous possible side effects including death
*apparently you will have to cut and paste the FDA link it keeps getting broken
thx for the links and reminders of all the negatives to this horrible medication...this needs to be bumped up occasionally for everyone to read and be aware of...:(
I appreciate the link.  I will definitely bookmark that page.  Of course, I will refuse to allow any vet to give my cat or any future pets this particular drug, but one never knows when another bad drug will come along.  And, I will have the page bookmarked so I can tell someone else about this page.  I've already told my contacts on FB about Convenia.  Hopefully, they read the information and now know about avoiding this drug.
My 14-year-old cat received a Convenia injection 7 days ago for a superficial skin tumour on her front leg. The ER vet told me he recommended a dose of antiobiotics, took my cat into another room to shave the area & examine the lesion more closely, returned and told me he had give her this "14-day" injection. Within hours, my cat was limping and became lethargic. The following day, I took her to my regular vet who wouldn't confirm it was a bad reaction to Convenia, but did some blood work, all of which came back normal. For a week, my cat has done nothing but lay in a nest of blankets on the floor, in the basement, away from all of us. She barely drags herself to her food dishes (which I have placed right beside her) or to the litter box. She can barely walk, is listless and disinterested in everything. Tomorrow, I am hoping to take her back to the vet and see if we can counter-act the effects of this drug somehow. After reading the comments here, I am terrified that she may never recover. Has anyone here had a pet who suffered these side effects, but bounced back after the drug was out of their system?  Can anyone suggest a treatment to counter-act Convenia?  I miss my poor cat, as she used to be.  :(
I am sorry the Vets continue to use this harmful drug without discussing first with US.....
I will include a good article for you to read, as you will see lethargy is one of the side effects. hopefully that will wear off in time and she won't suffer anymore but thats hard to say isn't it. as far as I know there aren't any antidotes angiesmom who started this post comments on using probiotics to help clear from the system. please scroll up to the top of this page and read the full context that angiesmom has written.

also read this article to see if this Dr. gives some suggestions.
I sure hope your kitty will be strong enough to pull thru this, be sure to be feeding her high quality protien...real meat not byproducts and NO grains if possible...my prayers are with you, please keep us updated.

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=convenia
angiesmom mentions apple cider vinegar above.....I have NO idea if this works or anything about that claim.
but I will copy and paste a recipe I give to my cats when they aren't feeling well.....this recipe is only for TEMPORAY use b/c it has none of the supplements/vitamins they need for muscles and growth...but it will help an ailing kitty especially one the is not eating well or needs extra fluids to help flush their system.

do you have a slow cooker?
get some chicken parts and remove the skin..I use chicken backs with legs attached...then you have a good amount of bone.

put in a slow cooker with enough water to cover fully....lots of water. add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar(this leaches the calcium out of the bones) and is good for PH also.( the one tablespoon is for approx one gallon of water ratio...if you are using more than a gallon of water use an extra tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, but don't use less than the 1)

cook on low for 24 hrs....than strain out ALL the bones be sure you get all those tiny little ones too...don't want him chocking on anything...so you may need to feel through it all with your hands, to be extra sure they are all out..chickens have so darn many tiny bones..if they are really soft you can grind them up and add if you like, but don't leave any in the food unless they are GROUND UP..really well. I find after 24 hours of slow cooking with the APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, this softens the bones up and you can easily mush them using a spoon in a bowl. or put thru a blender...just make sure they all get mushed.

the meat and the liquid... should gel up as it cools....feed him a nice bowl of this soupy chicken, she will love it and it will give her the extra fluids he needs right now... I jar it in small jam size jars and freeze the extra.
Hi Octblonde6,

I'm so sorry, I'm trying to warn as many people as possible about this all over the internet and in real life but I can't do it alone obviously. DVM are being completley unethical about the use of this drug. He should never had given her any drug without first discussing it with you and the possible side effects.

I'm saying a prayer for your baby- please start her on an probiotic asap, benebac or forti flora.. don't give up hope many cats and dogs have survived a convenia reaction- they need close supervision. do blood work again to make sure she doesn't have anemia, kidney or liver damage.. if she is anemic you can do a blood transfusion... let me know how she is.. please post your story at the facebook page and report all of this to zoetis and the fda.

hugs
thank you furball's mom, together we can all boycott this drug!
you're welcome opus.. I'm doing everything I can as well as dealing with a lot of my own health issues, in Angie's name and all the other furbabies I will not give up... please bump this as much as possible :)
Thanks to all for your feedback. Tonight, we had to put our kitty to sleep. The vet took x-rays and found 2 masses in her lungs, but the vet also admitted that our cat's health was absolutely compromised by the Convenia injection (administered by a *different* vet at an ER animal clinic.)  I appreciate the support & advice I received here. I am devastated right now and trying to make peace with how quickly this all happened. Best wishes to you all.
I am so very sorry to read this.....your poor kitty. this makes me so angry that Vets are giving this when there ARE oral choices that are much safer...
She didn't have a fighting chance did she...I don't blame you for being devastated after such an unnecessary loss. you have OUR best wishes too.
continue to spread the word anyway you can:(
RIP little girl, you were very loved and will always be remembered...♥
*bump*
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I completely understand your devastation because this is similar to what happened to Angie and us... except I approved the Convenia, without knowing it's terrible side effects, for whatever crazy reason. Angie never had a fighting chance either once that drug was in her system. At least your regular vet admits that Convenia harmed your baby. Please take time to let yourself grieve and then when you are ready report all of this to the fda and to zoetis. And please don't forget, please join me in my fight against Convenia.

In the next few days and for as long as it takes I will be printing flyers warning people about Convenia and putting them on people's cars everywhere and anywhere. Whatever it takes I will continue to fight this horrible drug in Angie's and in all of the furbabie's names who suffered and who died due to irresponsible, negligent practice of medicine.
Thank you for your kind words. We miss our" princess" very much and hope that others become informed about this dangerous drug. Sadly, we believe our dog died needlessly from Covenia due to  the longer term systemic effects of this drug in animals.  Really no effective way to reverse the terrible side effects once they start to happen.
As these comments collect from so many and their experiences, sadly, it is evident that there is a common theme...Convenia is a dangerous drug . Thanks again for your thoughts on our experience. It is greatly appreciated.
*bump*
I wish I had seen this last week :( I just had to put my fur baby kitty of 16 years, Abbi, to sleep 2 days ago because of her adverse reaction to the Convenia. She had been having a few issues, nothing severe, but then started having trouble eating, so I took her in.St Francis Animal Hospital in Augusta GA. They found an ulcer in her mouth and the dvm suggested this med because it was "easier" than having to go through the process of liquid meds everyday. it only took abt 5 minutes to hit her system and then it was downhill from there. I ended up putting her to rest abt 3 hours later, because I couldn't stand to see her like that and with her age and previous health issues, I knew she wouldn't be able to bounce back. I will be spreading the word abt this drug and will not be going back there.

Devastated, traumatized and heart-broken
Hello tllokey,

I'm so sorry for your loss and for what happened to beloved Abbi. You have my deepest sympathy. I understand what you're going through. Please come to the facebook page for Convenia Adverse reactions and share your story and your grief there. We are starting a website to fight the use of Convenia and making a general flyer to  hand out to people to warn them about the dangers of Covenia. Hugs and take care, don't blame yourself for what happened, this rests on the shoulders of the dvm and the manufacturer of Convenia, now Zoetis. Please when you're ready, make sure to report her reaction and her passing to the FDA and to Zoetis.
Friday afternoon 09/27/13 my dog Frankie went outside to do his business, he was fine. About 30 minutes after he came in he started vomiting. That evening he seemed to be okay. Saturday morning I woke up to him shaking, breathing heavily and weak. I scooped him up in my arms and we rushed him to the vet. The vet did blood, serum chemistries and then fluids. The vet wasn't sure what was wrong but his white blood count was slightly elevated. He asked if I could give him antibiotics, I said, yes. He came out with Frankie and said "we gave him an antibiotic that will last for 7 days so you don't have to give him any". This is new to me... I took my boy home, he progressively got weaker and weaker. We thought it was because the antibiotic were tiring him out. I carried him into each room assuring him tomorrow would be better. The vet did advise us that he would be out of it for a day or two. I woke up at 4AM to my dog yelping in pain having a seizure. He was in complete shock. He kept having continual smaller seizures. We got him to the 24 hour vet and he went into a full seizure. He was suffering greatly. We had to put him to sleep... He was on Covenia... all the negative side effects match up to what he went through. My heart is broken... Had I known of this drug before it was administered, I would have never let them use it.
I am very sorry to read abt Frankie.....such a loss for no reason other than this horrible drug thats on the market, please post this story also on the Dogs community, just follow the link below.

Hello Eva,

I'm very sorry :(

You have my deepest sympathies for your loss. Your poor Frankie deserved a lot better than this.

Unfortunately, DVM are not being responsible about the use of this drug. It's a money maker. I am heartbroken and at the same time angry & disgusted at each new story of a death or a severe reaction while Convenia remains on the market and unsuspecting people are allowing its use by these dvm who continue to deny that CONVENIA KILLS.

Please join me in my fight against this terrible drug. Report Frankie's reaciton and death to Zoetis and to the FDA and tell everyone you know never to use Convenia, EVER. Write NO CONVENIA in red in the charts.

I'm working on a flyer to warn people about Convenia and if I'm allowed to I will post it here soon.

Take care and hugs  <3
Thank you, I called the vet today. He's not in until Wed. However the nurse took notes. My Frankie displayed 7 out of 8 symptoms and then the 8th which was death. My heart is broken. To watch him suffer in his final hours was the worst thing I could see. I always promised him in his later years I would never allow him to suffer and inadvertently I did...
My baby had Ataxia, Tremors, Inappentence, seizures, diarrhea, salvation, lethargy and finally death. We had to put him to sleep, his suffering was horrible. The last seizure was the worst thing I've ever seen and I'm a former medic. This drug has to be taken off the market. Thank you for your support and for this post. <3
*bump*
*bump*
Hi Eva,

I'm so sorry... please do not blame yourself.. you trusted your dvm to do the right thing and they're failing to do what is right, not to use a dangerous drug. All we can do now is to report these deaths and reactions and to warn as many people as we can. Yes we will carry a burden that we allowed convenia but ultimately the dvm are responsible to practice safe medicine and to warn us about serious side effects. Frankie knows how much you loved him and he  knows you would never hurt him intentionally. Take care and hugs <3
CONVENIA KILLS

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to warn people about the dangerous veterinary drug Convenia.  Don't ever allow your dvm to give your cat, dog, ferrret,rabbit or guinea pig this drug, it caused a severe anemic reaction in my darling cat… she died 10 days later. Once this drug was in her system she had no chance to survive.

Convenia(cefovecin sodium) is a long acting antibiotic injection which stays in the system for 14 days actively and for 64 days after that. If there is a severe reaction it cannot be stopped because it can't be removed from the body. It acts like poison ivy by binding underneath the superficial layer of your cat's or dog's skin. There have been numerous severe reactions and deaths due to Convenia reactions.
Pfizer, the first manufacturer of the drug listed the following reactions at their own website:

death, tremors/ataxia, seizures, anaphylaxis, acute pulmonary edema, facial edema, injection site reactions (alopecia, scabs, necrosis, and erythema), hemolytic anemia, salivation, pruritus, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and anorexia(stop eating).

Notice that "death" is the first reaction listed.

Pfizer's animal health division is now owned by Zoetis so please report any Convenia adverse reactions to them: 1-888-963-8471 as well as to the FDA:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/Products/ApprovedAnimalDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm062340.pdf

Make sure you fully discuss any medications being given to your cat or dog before it happens since dvm aren't warning people about the terrible effects and dangers of Convenia. Have your dvm write NO CONVENIA in red in the charts and make sure that any emergency care givers know about your wishes not to use Convenia.

Google "Convenia" for more information about the many adverse events. We need to stop the use of this dangerous drug which is currently frequently being used off label and when an antibiotic drug isn't even called for. If your cat or dog needs an antibiotic have that confirmed with tests when possible and opt for the many safe liquids and pills. For pilling you can cut the pills and place them in a gel cap, then wet them with something, like saliva, and place at the back of the throat. "Convenience" is NOT worth losing your beloved cat or dog! If your cat or dog is given Convenia please go to the website below for more information on how to treat a Convenia reaction. Many people have used probiotics such as benebac or forti flora post Convenia.

Don't risk the life of your cat or dog with Convenia. Tell everyone you know NEVER to use Convenia.

Spread the word:     CONVENIA KILLS…

www.noconvenia.com
I keep my blog on Covenia live on Twitter as well. I also warn everyone I possibly can. <3
Same thing happened with me and my hubby this week... It's 3am he is sleeping and I'm wide awake watching my kitty try to sleep but he is restless and cough/ sneeze off and on all day today. Was given injection 3 days ago now and I'm very worried ..
Hi Islandgirl66, I'm so sorry. Please get him on a probiotic(benebac or fortiflora) immediately and get him back to your dvm for further bloodwork to see if he is anemic or something else. Saying a prayer for your kitty. Please contact me if you need more information about the probiotic therapy. nocovenia.com has more info.
That's great Eva. Thank you! We all need to keep spreading the word.
I'll say a prayer for your kitty... Please also do as AngiesMom advised with the probiotics. Hugs, Eva
*bump*
Keep bumping!
Omg! My cat just got that shot tonight for a rash on her neck and I'm freaking out now! Vet never told me anything about any side effects or reactions,,,nothing! I'm heartbroken about all the poor babies that lost their precious lives because of that antibiotic and am so scared that the same faith awaits my 6 yr. old female cat! It's been 2 hours since she got it and I've since called a 24 hrs. emergency vet hospital telling them that I just found out how deadly this antibiotic is and if there's anything they can do once and if my cat starts taking a turn for the worse and they told me that nothing could be done to stop the antibiotic and that all they could do would be to treat the symptoms if any! So pretty much the same thing that you guys were told and went through...Unbelievable! Can't trust the vets at all, I feel so guilty for trusting and not researching before the fact :( Now I wait and see if she survives or suffers a horrible death all just because I wanted to bring her relief from a rash! This is a nightmare.
I pray your baby will be okay. The worst isn't always the case, hopefully she'll be fine. Sadly a lot of vets don't know. Although I believe it's their job to do their research. Yet, they don't. Hugs Eva
I stumbled onto this page, I took in a stray kitten of about 3 months old, she is lovely, took her to the vet we have for our other cat and the vet said she has a cold,,,I didn't think cats got colds but he said she has one,,he was hesitant to give her a shot and said he will wait till her next visit to see if she was still with cold, next thing you know he gave her a shot of covenia,,I didn't realize it till we had to pay for her visit,,when he said bring her back in 2weeks for her normal shot...it was almost 2 weeks ago, and she is due back on Wed. I will tell the vet what I read on here..I am an American living here in Ireland for last 7 years...it means they are probably using this drug all over the world...I am sorry but I hate the pharmacuticals,  they don't care about anything but the almighty money,,,I pray nothing happens to my new kitten,,she has watery eyes and when she sits there it's like she sways back and forth like she looses her balance,,when she eats she heaves a bit ,I thought it might be because she eats too fast,,,,,I am sorry to hear of all your losses!! our animals are our families,,,Intalk to them like they are one of us,,,xoxo
yes I'm sorry too that this horrible drug is used world wide..
and the Vets just give it without explaining the complications and allowing the owners to decide.
you little kitten is likely suffering from Feline Upper Respiratory Tract Disease a broad category of viruses including herpes and calici. this is commonly known as 'cat flu' most immune healthy cats can get over the symptoms like a runny nose/eyes but a cat with a diminished immune system can develop a Upper Respiratory INFECTION or URI.
The safest thing to do for your kitty is to support the immune system and build up a resistance. Isolate her from your other cats until she is well and I would strongly advise you NOT subject her to her vaccinations until she is feeling better, this will only lower her resistance even more....wait a few weeks since she just had the convienia her system is struggling enough right now.
I will give you links to an amino acid that is widely used for cats with these viruses and will help build her immune system up. the link I am giving you is for the best brand available for cats...if you can't buy it at a Vitamin Store in Ireland I will include the link to include the international route. I order internationally from this site all the time and they are excellent to deal with. good luck to kitty I sure hope she overcomes all her troubles..and kudos to you for rescuing a needy little one:)

DOSAGE. 1/2 scoopful (included) same as 1/4 teaspoon mixed in with her wet food or mixed with water and give via syringe or dropper daily. quote this and get $4. off your order b/c I am a frequent buyer
SED957

http://ie.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-L-Lysine-Amino-Acid-Powder-100-g/13608#bid=CAR&p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=l-lysine&rc=6&sr=null&ic=2
*bump*
*bump*
*bump*
I am so very alarmed right now. Today I took my Beloved 19lb Chi-Pit back for a recheck with allergies and yeast in his ears. A week and a half ago he was given a shot of steroids, Simplicef and Prednisone pack. He wasn't any better and the smell was terrible, yeast in ears?? Anyway, the Vet, brought in an injection of an "antibiotic that will last a little longer" and I didn't even think to ask. I had NO IDEA it lingered in the system so long. He didn't even tell me what it was, let alone the side effects. On the way home, I called hubby and my Clyde was acting a little strange going from front to back and scratching the floor, I remember I told hubby it was probably "the medicine"....(.those 2 visited, I could have bought another IPad,) he was ok when we got home, but a couple hours later he started doing little wierd things, like going under the chair as if in pain, and trying to jump up on my lap, but as in being anxious. I got suspicious when he laid in my lap and I felt his pounding heartbeat, so I looked up the med. I am SHOCKED!! I cannot believe what I am reading! It's not just an isolated case or two, and is FAR from "rare." My Clyde is already sensitive to meds and there is NO WAY in this world I would have EVER consented to giving him that long lasting systemic drug had I remotely known!! I'm So angry at my Vet for not telling me and giving ME the choice whether or not to gamble with his health and life. It irritates the cramp outta me. As an RN, I would have NEVER let him have the drug, nor as just his "Mom" who protects him.  I was going to ask for Probiotics, because I heard it helped with the yeast in his ears, but the Vet gave them to me before I even asked. Now I know why, to help counteract any side effects. So WHY didn't he tell me that??!! I just KNOW this is going to end bad. You know, you just know your pets. If this is active for 12 days, it has to build in the system for at least 6 days or maybe even more, and then another 64! I'm an Optimist, but I am a Bundle of emotions, ANGRY, Sad, Hurt, Anxious.....we were suppose to leave on a trip this coming week, but I find myself just waiting for something to go desperately wrong. I had NO idea. I think it ought to be a law that there has to be an Informed Consent, and better yet, it should be pulled off the market!!! My Lil Fella is already starting to show signs of confusion. He's standing in the laundry room looking at the garage door, just standing there, he has NEVER done this. He wants to go out, then doesn't pee, he lays down, and gets up. I KNOW he is not right. I am so MAD at my Vet right now, and scared......If anybody out there is a praying person, please pray for my Lil Fella, I will Picket this Drug Company AND my long Time Vet if he dies......if he doesn't, he is still gonna hear from me, and I will be Very Proactive to get this word out!!! STOP CONVENIA!!!  How in the world do you give the apple cider vinegar? By drops diluted in the mouth? He will not eat it on food I don't think. Also, I have Proviable-DC Probiotics, with 7 probiotics. It says give 1 capsule per day, can I double that? Any help appreciated!!
hi....I am very sorry to read abt the side effects your Clyde is having, yes Convenia needs to be taken off the market, however in the meanwhile all Vets need to know more about what they are giving and relay this onto the pet parents with their full knowledge of the side effects...before giving.

I believe a Chi Pit is a dog, right? do you realize you've posted on the CAT forum? I will give you a link to the Dog forum, not sure if anyone can be of help there but its sure worth a try.

My cats have never been given conviena...thank goodness. so I'm not much help, I hope angiesmom will pipe in here and give some advice.

I have no idea how much apple cider vinegar or if this even helps...but it wouldn't hurt to try...if it were me I would dilute it some and give via a dropper or sryinge. do a small amount to see if Clyde can tolerate, I would suggest 5-10mls would be a good guess??????
if in doubt give him lots of the probiotics....yes you can double that safely and I hope you have, the worst that would happen is some loose stools.

we do send prayers for your Clyde and I hope by today he is much much better, please let us know even tho we are a Cat forum, we all love Dogs too..and we are worried abt him, I don't blame you for being MAD either!!!!!
Hi, FICracker, My dog Frankie died and was terribly tortured by Covenia. I posted above. I've never done the apple cider and I had no idea about the probiotics. I knew nothing of any of this until my baby passed on Sept. 29th 2013. I already said a prayer for Clyde as I was reading your thread. I certainly pray he's okay and comes out of this. Covenia is a deadly drug and should absolutely be taken off the market. Please let us know if you baby is okay. I'm so sorry...
I was going on Twitter to **bump** my Anti #Covenia thread and I found this. have you seen it? Written by A DVM. http://www.catinfo.org/?link=convenia
  I took our cat Baby Boo to the Vet two weeks ago and she had surgery to remove four teeth.  At that point she was otherwise healthy and acting normal.  the second day after the surgery she started sneezing constantly and then soon started acting lifeless and barely responding to calling she started hiding in her liter box then she lost interest in eating and was eating/drinking very little.  I Googled the symptoms and found that hundreds of others reported the same symptoms in their cats after being given the injectable antibiotic Convenia.  I checked the receipt from the tooth surgery and sure enough they gave that to her.  She had every symptom.  A lot of them also said it gave their cat anemia and then led to liver failure.  Said it attacks the red blood cells.

Baby Boo had blood work done prior to Surgery and they said her Kidneys and liver appeared normal only noting high white blood cell count which was probably from tooth infection.

I took her back to the vet on Monday to get fluids hoping that it would hopefully get her back eating again and help her bounce back.  They vet said she was in severe liver failure due to seeing jaundice.  Two weeks ago normal now severe liver failure.  He said it could have been the Convenia but doubts it and totally dismissed all of the others that reported the exact same symptoms , even in kittens and healthy young cats that died within two weeks or so of getting the injection.

Anyway, they gave her sub fluids and vitamin b shot and when I got her home she was almost non responsive and wouldn't eat or drink anything.  We force fed her a little by syringe the last couple of days and gave her fluids again last couple of nights.  Yesterday she could barely move; the only time she gets up is to go to the litter box and she only  takes two steps at a time and lays flat.  Doesn't even lift her head when we go in or call her.  When we tried to force feed her this yesterday afternoon and  she lick awkwardly a few times and then let the rest of the food pool in her mouth and drip out.  

She lost so much weight in just a few weeks and became so weak and lifeless.

The next day she was dying and had thrown up and mouth locked open and only one breath in five minutes.  She passed  just before noon.

Unreal, a cat goes in for tooth surgery with normal blood values and dies of severe liver failure two weeks later and the Vets don't want to acknowledge the overwhelming consistent odd side effects and deaths that are being reported by hundreds  of people after their cats were injected with Convenia anti-biotic.  I will never use Covenia or Rimadyl, another drug that has a track record of harming/killing animals, on my animals ever again.  Be safe and tell your Vets to restrict the usage of these drugs on their charts/file.  Don't let the Vets talk you into using them or you may regret it like thousands of others have and end up burying your beloved pet.  Rest in peace Baby-Boo; we will love and miss you always.
I am so very very sorry, this just breaks my heart to read this and all the others stories....We must all urge our Vet clinics not to use this drug ever again...at least we must try to get them to listen to us all.
everyone print out this long list of stories and bring it in to them...don't allow them to tell us it only happens 'occasionally' or 'I have never heard of any side effects' we must all speak up!!!

Yes RIP little Baby Boo...this is so very sad, you didn't have to die so young. you were loved and will be missed

lets keep getting the word out as much as we possibly can everyone.
...speechless. I'm so very sorry for your loss. This is another senseless and heartbreaking story. Sending light and love your way.
:(
*bump*
My cat Mycroft was going to be injected with this drug today before I picked him up to come home. Thank you so very much for taking the time to think of other kitties and write this report. I was able to call and stop it because of you. Thank you again!
I'm so worried. A vet injected my 8 year old 6lb chihuahua with convenia 2 days ago. He wasn't even that sick, just coughing and I could tell he didn't feel great. I was more worried about heart failure or trachea issues and somehow in the mix he gave me the choice of 14 day oral or convenia.  After a discussion of this injection I opted for it but was not warned of side effects. He said it was safe and acted oblivious.  I've been nervous ever since. Max is doing well so far but it sounds like I am not going to be out if the woods for 14 to 65 days. It is day 3 so do you all think he would already be showing signs?  I fear he will have a seizure etc anytime. It seems like cats are having a worse time with this drug, does anyone know?  I've started probiotics and am trying to add more water to his food to flush. I called the vet and gave him an ear full but he doesn't get it. Must be getting kickbacks right? Please any words of encouragement. I will take him in for blood work maybe in 3 weeks to see how that looks. I cannot trust vets. He didn't even ask if max had issues with Pennicillin (penicillin) which would make him have a reaction.  Thank you.
Hi sadiesuesmom, my dog Frankie was showing adverse signs almost immediately after being injected. I can't say whether or not you're out of the woods yet, but you appear to be. With Frankie it was within hours of being injected that I lost him. I would suggest keeping up with the probiotics, and what you're doing. Just keep a close eye on your baby.  All the best, Eva
I'm so sorry about Frankie. It really is wrong. I hope you don't mind but could you tell me his signs?  I'm so sorry. Thanks for replying.
hi Eva....usually the worst side effect is an allergic reaction and anaphylaxis occurs. I will send you a website by a Vet that talks about this...why in the world can't all the Vets out there read this and listen?? hope your little Max continues to do okay...

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=convenia

Eva, I too am so very sorry to hear about Frankie....please go to the site I gave just above and there is a link to REPORT adverse reactions, hopefully if enough of us pet parents do so they will take this drug off the market...RIP Frankie...so very sad:(
Thank you!  I can't trust any vets at this point.  Any referrals in Dallas area are welcomed.
Hello, Im so sorry about your baby.. please go to the fb page and to www.noconvenia.com

I'm saying a prayer for him… I'm so sorry about Frankie too… I tell new people about Convenia every day. Just told one of my new dvm. Please report this and do the same. Warn everyone you know and anyone who loves animals.
btw, the worst side effect is death, but it is not always from anaphylaxis… death can occur from any of the severe side effects listed at Zoetis own site and listed here in my post.
Max survived convenia thankfully and I did start him on human probiotics immediately and also added water to his meals to help flush.  I'm still going to have labs run on him now though. He isn't coughing now but I think his problem to begin with was acid reflux from his raw diet being to rich. I have been spreading he word about convenia.
Oh thank God!!! Yea!!! Good News!!! So happy for you and Max!!! <3
This is a dangerous drug and we are dealing with an injection 2 days ago. I found this site after being shocked at all of the horror stories on this drug.

KEEP UP THE ACTIVISM
My 5 month old kitty, Brutus, received a Convenia injection two days ago for a respiratory infection. The vet told me he was going to give him an antibiotic injection, and I thought good, I won't have to deal with pills. I trusted my vet, so I never even thought to question him about the injection. We came home from the vet, and he went straight to his usual sleeping spot only getting up for a drink of water and to use his litter box. He's normally acting crazy and running around playing, etc. I thought he must be sore from the injection and figured he'd be back to his normal self the next day. This is day 2, and he is still not at all active or playful. Tonight, I noticed I hadn't seen him for a while so I went looking for him and found him laying behind the bathroom door in the dark. Typically, he would be in the room with family members wanting to play. I looked on the vet receipt to find what kind of injection he was given. He was given Convenia so I googled it and found this site. I am very concerned... he weighs 8lbs, but he was given the dosage for a 10lb cat! I pray he is not having a reaction to the Convenia!! He is such a sweet baby boy... I cannot  stand to think the worst... I will post again once I know more. Thank you all for getting the word out about this dangerous drug.  My heart goes out to anyone that has experienced the loss of their precious fur-baby!   4tig
Yes this is a horrible drug and I am so angry the Vets continue to use

Plz get him on some probiotics from a health food store(human) I can't get to my links for good brands...but as long as the have lots of good bacteria an very few additives esp. NO salt,sugar,soy

I sure have my fingers crossed he will be okay, keep us posted
*BUMP*
Thank you for mentioning that the probiotic should be HUMAN grade.  The formulas for animals do not begin to be high enough.  The cat, especially, has a very rapid transit time through the digestive system, and a large amount of each dose is just passed through into the litter box.  I don't know about dogs.