Cats Community
Kitten brain damage :( PLEASE HELP

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Kitten brain damage :( PLEASE HELP

My kitten got a severe head trauma 2 days ago and ive been told she is brain damaged and has swelling on the brain.
The vet has let me bring her home because she does know when you're there and still purs and responds to touch but her head constantly stays to the left and she keeps going round in circles.
She is eating and drinking with the help of me and my partner feeding her by syringe every 2 hours.
I want to know if anyone else has had the same problems with their cat and if there is anything else we can do to help her recover and hopefully help our little Star survive this trauma because she is trying to fight this and we want to help her recover the best way we can, we don't want to have her put to sleep because we love her too much :'o(  Please please, any help would be very much appreciated
Oh, I'm so sorry!!  I'm pressed for time right now, but below is the link to another recent thread on head trauma.  The drug Mannitol was used with good success.  Please click on the link below.  So sorry - best of luck!  I don't drag links often - I hope it works.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/kitten-with-head-trauma-update/show/1250095

gosh I'm so sorry to hear of your problems. I hope you have a good Vet to help you all thru this. kitty is trying hard to survive and thats a great sign.
I'm afraid I can't give you any info on neurological damage.
I will tell you a story tho, my daughter and granddaughter got a kitten abt 12 yrs ago, he was run over by a car...head was nearly completely squashed. a neighbour found him and brought him to my daughter, thye rushed him to a Clinic to have put down.
Long story.....due to a mix up at shift change the word did not get thru, the next day my daughter was told to come pick up the cat....she was so upset that this poor kitty was kept alive. but the vets told her it still had a chance to recover and to take him home and see......she was still very upset, the poor kitty could only move one half of his body...and he drug himself around in circles like yours. she had to help him into the little box and help him eat for a few days....she called me every night in tears. I kept saying well if he isn't in pain(didn't appear he was)...than just lets just keep giving it another day....well long story made short this amazing cat...kept getting better and better, he drug his back leg for a long time but eventually even that healed, he lived for years afterwards with no apparent ill effects....would never have belived this could happen..so take heart, keep him calm and fed and hydrated and just see how it goes...as long as theres no pain. Good luck to you!
If I find any websites with info I'll pass it along to you, check with your Vet if that drug mentioned above is avail in the UK
thank you for putting that it has inspired us to keep trying =D

we took star to the vets yesterday and they said that we have to think about her quality of life, which we are because were doing everything we can to keep her.
i mentioned the drug and they said she had had it in the beginning and i asked to give it to her again, which they did.. we brought her home and let her sleep as thats all she does most of the time. but when she woke we noticed such a positive improvement we were so happy and proud of her..
She is now off syringe feeds and altho her head bends left and sticks to her body she will eat of a plate and the best thing she did was stand on her legs for a short period without falling.. such a positive result...

she still has a very long way to go but were so proud of her and were not going to give up on her.
the vet wanted to put her down and we said why?? shes eating, drinking and making a slow improvement.
her chin faces skywards and she cant walk properly yet but brain injurys take a longtime to heal which is what the vet said, so the vet contradicted herself in my eyes. she deserves a chance, shes only a baby to us and thats what were giving her, she hasn't fitted or cried out in pain so were going to keep going as we are with her..
OH good for you Tara, so many give up far to quickly on their pets....don't want to put in the time or in some cases its a financial problem too and that can't be helped.
I agree as long as she isn't in pain is eating and eliminating properly than WHY not keep waiting and seeing??
shes a fighter and she wants to live, sleeping is good...thats natures way of the body recouping.
I'm kinda just getting into homeopathy for other issues with my cats. there is alot written about RESCUE REMEDY for all sorts of shock/trauma and surgery recovery.
Its a flower essence and from what Iread it helps calm and relives the stress and fear and promotes healing.
I'm in Canada so I have to order from the US..at iherb.com
but if you are in a city there are places that carry the brand 'flower essence society' or 'Bach' which are safe for cats and if you'd like to give it a try?
just need a few drops in their drinking water or give by dropper.....there is also one called 'calming essence' . they won't do any harm and perhaps will even help?
at iherb its abt $9 a bottle and at home we still dilute down. if you want more info contact me.

the head tilting is normal after brain injury....and IMO that will improve.
she is trying to stand but is weak, be sure to feed her a high quality high protein food while recovering.
what do you feed her now?
she is lucky she is still young and that works in her favor, the young recoup much better and can adjust well too.
I'm glad the drug did help relieve some of the pressure, keep questioning your Vet about other measures....do not allow them to dictate to you the time to put kitty down, you know her and you know if she's in pain, as long as you are willing to keep trying and not give up than don't allow them to get the put down attitude...push them to come up with solutions for her.

my very best to you and kitty, please keep posting and letting us know her condition.
I am so happy to read your post.......I wish you all continued success.  What a great "mom" you are~~~~~sara
My words are the same, all the best to you and your furry baby :-)
I am just thrilled, Star is making progress.  This drug seems to be amazing!  I'm so glad you pushed the vet to give kitty another dose.  Is true, you want to consider quality of life, but you would know if Star were suffering and it sounds like there's nothing but improvement going on.  I'm SO glad you found this forum that just so happened to have a poster recently with the same problem as well as a CL with an encouraging story of her own.  Makes all the difference to read of "hope."

I can guarantee we will all be watching and praying for Star to continue to improve.  Great job, Tara!  I three :) agree, you're a wonderful mom!  For sure, keep up updated...
Hi Tara,
    My name is Andrea & I live in Newcastle , Australia. I am in a similar situation as yourself  with regards to our precious feline.Last Friday ( 20th August) I accidently hit her ( Pippin ) with the car & initially I thought the worst. Rushing her to the vet  & after talking to him the injury seemed to be confined to her head. She had a broken jaw, facial injuries & brain injury, looked terrible, was in shock  & thrashing about.The vet reassured me that they would do everything possible to help her get better .Initailly the prognosis was not good  but he said to allow her  to get over the shock & trauma  & for the medication to  help her get better. There was no talk of putting her down.She was fortunate ( if I can use that word) in that she really had only suffered  a head injury; no broken limbs,internal damage or spinal injury.But  he said that  it was very serious being a brain injury  & that we would have to allow time for healing to occur. How glad I am that we did.
    In one week she has made a remarkable recovery. She has been on fluids & mannitol to help the swelling on the brain decrease.Each day I saw her  there was some sort of little improvement..Initially her response was to purr her little heart out all the time I was there. She could hardly move initailly, would fall all over the place  even  lying down. But then next time I visited she tried to get up on her back legs which for me was a positive sign.Then the next day she managed to sit on her own  & was meowing now as well as purring.She even tried to chase a lorrikeet that was flying around.I looked into that little face & what I got was the will to live.
   Well yesterday (26th August) they took her off the drip & mannitol to see how she would cope without it.What a marked improvement I saw. She could sit on her own & stand on her own & within the confines of her cage  even took a few tentative steps.Outside the cage she stood but was very hesitant to move. But the fact that she had gotten that far  was such a relief & joy to us.
    Today she is still stable & we are bringing her home for the week end  to see how she copes with her own environment & as also the vet wants to give her a few more days to build up her strength   for the surgery to fix her jaw.
   We know that there is still much progress to be made.She like most brain trauma victims  still seems to hang her head to one side, still has co-ordination problems, still has spacial  problems with feeding & grooming herself  & may be visioned impaired  but her fighting spirirt gives us encouragement  & hope that she will eventually be able to lead some sort of reasonably good life.
   We are fortunate in that we have a very good &  supportive vet whose first confirmation was to save her & then do all he good  to help in her recovery. He reiterated what has been said here that brain injuries take a while to heal ,the brain is very adapt at healing itself  & that animals are remarkably adapt  at adjusting to changes in their lives. He streesed that we should not make any rash decisions  as we ourselves were suffering shock  & were too  emotionally involved  to make decisions. He emphasised that he would advise us what would be done to assist her recovery & that the emphasis was to save her.
   My daughter & I when we noticed the little improvements each day agreed that we wanted to give Pippin every possible chance at recovery & the vet was wholey supportive of our desire. He likened Pippin's situation to someone having a stroke  & as I had been through  that experience with my mum  it equated with us in that we looked past the physical  impairment confronting us  at the time & was  every day greeted with the lovable ,affection cat  that we knew.
    So  after a week we are so blessed & grateful that Pippin, a much loved member of our family is still with us  & her future looks as promising as it can.Initially we went through a grieving process from the fear of losing her & her unfortuante accident & predicament but today we have  a lot more hope for her future  & now being a little calmer are able to make more rational decisions than a week ago.
   My encouragement  to you is to persevere  with little Star.Find a vet in the practice that supports your desires  & let your own instinct be your guide;often it is the most powerful & positive emotion guiding our decisions.Best of luck with little Star's recovery I am sure you will be rewarded with much love & affection from her.
what a beautiful story....and what a lucky little Pippin to have you for a family. it will take time but I'm feeling positive that she will recover and lead a normal or near normal life and for years give you back the love you have shown her.
I had a very similar experience, not with a cat but with my husband.....the mind is a powerful thing and has the ability to heal and recoup much more than what medical science always gives it credit for.
bless you all and please keep us updated on little Pippin, its sooo good to hear such a heart warming story as hers.

♥Opus
Hi Tara,

Im Sara, i work for an animal shelter in manchester and 3 years ago my sweet baby NouNou was born and at 2 days old contracted cat flu, for 2 months she was hand fed and pumped full of drugs. she even had a temp of 107 but our regular vet made sure it didnt stay there for long. i ran from the locum vets office at one point as he wanted to put her down... due to the infecton and fever she is very severely brain damaged, i know its not quite the same as an accident, but even thou she is so badly brain damaged she hasnt let it stop her doing as much as she can. NouNou has limited sight, she is deaf, and a distorted sense of smell, has little coordination and depth perseption, and constantly shakes, and she has the most unique walk (looks like a lipizzans dancing horse). Yet even with all her proplems she learnt how to eat and drink from a bowl and how to use a litter tray, she learnt how to walk and run and jump (yes she can jump on the sofa and on my bed) she loves playing with the cat tree (floor is padded with crash matts) she sits in the window and watches the world go by, she plays in the snow, she chases my other 4 cats and runs after them, NouNou is 3 years old and she is strong and healthy and my vet says apart from the brain damage there is nothing wrong with the rest of her and she should live a long happy life.

as long as we as owners as willing to continue to love and make a few small adaptations if a full recovery isnt possible (and with a fair few accident related head traumas a full recovery is possible) our animal friends will live a long and happy life :)
(oh they may be a little smaller than you expect because 80% of brain damage in animals results in stunted growth)

Keep your Chin Up, Best Wishes Sara xx
hi Sara....aren't you ever a loving caring mommy who refused to give up on this little unfortunate critter.....far too many owners do give up far to quickly!
just goes to prove how far some love and patience can really go, your story is an inspiration to us all.
We do hear of some amazing stories here on the forum and its always wonderful to learn that there are times when near normal even normal recoveries are possible.
thanks so much for posting. I welcome you to our forum and hope you will continue to stay with us, we are here to ask questions, give replys, share stories or just give comfort at times when its needed.
feel welcome to post anytime.
♥Opus
Hi my name is Jade. I live in Bismarck, North Dakota. Yesterday late morning my dogs push my bedroom door open & my 11month old Nikita got out.  The night before our dining room table broke.  It has three section on it.  The end section which is the heaviest and weighs about 65pounds was not put down by my boyfriend.  Nikita jump on it to jump to the kitchen counter tops and I heard it fall and rush over there. The table was on her back leg a bit I took it off right away and she started crying and freaking out. She couldn't stand, her eyes were moving back and forth so fast and she was breathing hard.  I was in such a panic.  My mom came & pick me up we got her to the vet 15mins after it happen.  She had head trauma to the right side of her brain so she couldn't control her left side body.  She is still at the vet its been 24hours. Her eyes stop moving and she can sit herself up, but she tilts her head to the left side and can't stand, but she trys. She will not eat or drink.  The vet wants me to come in this after noon to talk about what I want to do, but I don't want to put her down. She is best friends with my three legged cat I rescue Charlie has been looking for her since yesterday.  I feel so bad, because it was such an odd thing to happen. She a very tiny cat like her mother she is only about 6pounds.  I wish my other vet was in, but he wasn't & I really don't like the one I'm at, because they seem to fake and rude they don't thhink she will recover.  I just want to know with your kitten did she ever recover or what are the chance. She sitting there at the vet just purring and such a sweetheart and I feel like these vets are trying to do everything that they could.  Please if you could help me that would be great. You can even email me at jay_kinss***@****. anybody that has information to help me with her she too sweet and doesn't deserve this.
Jay, so sorry about kitties injury, that is a very odd thing to have happened and so unfortunate.....there have been several people post about their kitties and head injuries and many posted later to say they made a slow but steady recovery. some NOT a full recovery, there is usually some side effects that can range from blindness to some paralysis. I personally have seen a kitty make a full recovery that had been run over and had severe head trauma. so nothing is a guarantee, its all wait and see and tons of patience if you decide not to euthanize her, she will need months of special care and love...
A few have posted about a drug used when there is head trauma/swelling its in IV form and called MANNITOL talk to your Vet about this...and read about this on the following post.
good luck hon to you and to that poor little girl....sending you both some love and ((hugs))
please keep us posted.

sorry to here about your kitten i hope she picks up,,my 8 month old kitten bear got hit by a car last wednesday, someone took him to the vet when i finally located him and went to see him he was barely concious he had a broken mangled leg, broken ,dislocated jaw and sever head trauma and swelling to to the brain, he stayed that way till friday where the vets adviced i should put him to sleep as he was less responsive and hadnt made improvements,i thought hard about this decision the nurse went to get the forms while she was away i was stroking his ear and he rolled his head so i could tickle his chin so we decided to give him till monday for more of the swelling to go down as we felt just over 36 hours wasnt enough time and said if he declined any more we would put him to sleep, he had to go have xrays and his jaw put back that day under anesthetic and was told he would probably die under anesthetic.. he survived,, they rang saturday morn to say there had been an improvement and he was now being syringe fed but as he was still not trying to walk or get up he could still have to be put down as they didnt know the extent of his brain damage,, myhusband visited him sunday to be greeted by a cat sat up looking around and when bear saw him fell over himself to get to him,, monday they amputated his leg and was told he would be there for a while yet today i went in and the vet was happy for him to come home, he is bright alert and climbing over them for effection,,, he is confined to a cage and we have noticed differences in him,, he is neading alot,, and is like a brand new kitten in some way we will need to teach him to use a little tray again he only seems to be able to see whats in front of him nothing to the sides in both eyes he can eat from a saucer but is displaying some odd traits all i hope will ease with time,,, cats seem to be resilliant animals,, bear was taken in unconcious and barely alive 6 days later he is at home doing better then the vet thought he would ever do, he still has a long way to go though, i know im lucky and i really hope your kitten gets better
Oh I am so happy to hear some good news..............congratulations little bear!! and to you and your husband too rambo for not giving up on this little fellow. yes cats are terribly resilient, I too have seen a remarkable recovery in the kitty that belonged to my granddaughter...
he kept giving you the signs you were looking for didn't he...he was showing you 'see I'm trying my best, please don't give up on me'....and i'm so happy you didn't.
it will be slow, but bear will do well I'm sure. he may have some personalitiy changes but...hey isn't that what makes them all unique too...
great story, please keep us posted on his recovery and welcome to our forum.....♥
we are so glad we didnt give up on bear  it really was like he was trying to tell me he was still in there fighting,,,he is so much calmer today, to be honest there only seems to be slight changes in him,, i understand why the 4 out of 5 of the other cats we have dont want to know him right now he does smell a little weird but am hoping as he smells less of the vets they will come around again,, what i dont understand is why bear suddenly has this need to play with the 5th  other cat as this cat has never liked his own kind and tolerates them at a distance, we have kept all cats apart from him when he is out the cage but it doesnt stop him trying to get to them,, this is new, along with his need to try get hold of every single thing that he sees move and also his attention isnt great he can be eating then he will see or hear something and hell forget hes eating we are sitting with him while he eats and when something gets his attention we tap the plate to get his attention back it seems to work,, we are so proud of him and will do our best to keep helping him get better ,  my husband is going to build him a run in the garden so he can still enjoy the sun and go outside we thought this may be best as his fear and attention span are minimal, his eye sight isnt as good as it used to be and he now only has 3 legs,, but most of this could change in time if not he has a very large family that will give him lots of love and care for him in any way they can
Did your cat finally recover?
Hi there.  I am so thrilled to read of Bear's progress!  You and your husband are just awesome for the dedication you've shown Bear.  He will love the outdoor run.  You know, I would think with a head injury, new behavior would be a given.  And all this improvement in just a week!?...I think you're going to see much more as time goes on.  Your story is incredible since from your description, sounds like a miracle Bear is even alive.  Would love to see pictures.  

This all makes me so sad for our last cat, though.  She came home one day with some kind of head injury - no overt injury other than paralysis to the back leg, but we knew nothing of Mannitol or even that there was any hope so we ended up putting her to sleep.
i will try get picture up of him,, he also had mannitol and he is very lucky, but dont be hard on yourself me and my husband lost 5 cats/kittens last year,, one of the reasons we were determined to give bear every chance we could,, we own 6 cats ourselves including bear, he was born to one of our cats while i was having my son,, we lost our cat smokey to  being hit by a car he died on way to vet 2 kittens to flea anemia which i knew nothing about till it was to late  1 still born and the other was a stray that lived with the rest of his family in my back garden i dont mind them and try look after them as best i can from a distance, the stray we decided to put down he was 4 months old and had a bad leg but by next day was breathing funny took him to vet she said he had some cat virus which was filling his lungs a bad leg and severly amnemic, we were told it was best to put him down he had the same fight as bear but we believed what she was saying,, we now regret our decison but all we can do is learn so i feel your pain but you did what you believed was right
there are pictures of him on my profile :-)
Well that was quick with the photos! : )  

Thanks for your words about our kitty who passed.  You're so right, we did what we thought was right at the time, but know better today.  I am so thankful I found this cat forum.  I've learned So Much in the last 2yrs!

I'm so sorry for all the kitties you've lost.  Until this forum, I wouldn't have known of flea anemia, either.  
Huh, odd.  The fact you posted photos didn't show up on the activity bar.  
ive only started using this site in last few days because as much as i researched on net there really wasnt anything on brain damage on cats .on humans and recovery for us though,, i thought id upload them now as you asked and im still not tired,,, does that mean they didnt come up or i did it wrong ???? flea anemia doesnt seem to be something that many people know aboutthere isnt much awareness of it :-( but is one of the main causes of death in kittens i only found out when i took mums and remaining kittens to vet to be checked and then was told made me feel so bad as it could have been avoided if i only i had been aware
So sorry about that little kitten.  But now you know so now it's your turn to go easy on yourself.  

You uploaded the pictures correctly, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to see them.  I think there's an issue with photos on Medhelp since I saw a moderator helping someone else, earlier.  You're fine - no worries and thanks!!! : )
it was 2 kittens but i get what your saying  ill go easy on myself andhave learnt from it ,its all we can do hey ,,, no problem and thank you ,,:-)
I have a 8 week old kitten that I got 2 days ago that we named Merlin and while I was at work last night one of my dogs bit him (we just got the dog 3 months ago and she is fine with my other cat so I'm not sure why it happened). I took him to the vet as soon as I got off work. He has a puncture wound in his side, a hernia and severe brain trauma. He can't keep up his body temperature and the vet says he isn't doing well. He is in an incubator and he keeps going in and out of consciousness and his eyes are dilated. The vet says it is my decision on what to do next. Right now I have him at the vet office in the incubator being watched over. I hope he will start doing better but I'm not sure what else to do for him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like he is suffering and hard as it will be for you, I think putting him to sleep would be the most humane thing to do for the poor suffering creature.  I'm so sorry this happened.
All I can do here is pray for your baby and for you,for the better and for you to be strong.I do wish I could do more.
My deepest sympathy ,friend :-(
Well I just got the call from the vet. Merlin passed away in his sleep.
I'm sorry for your loss.  It must be heartbreaking right now.  It's good he's no longer in misery.  Thank you for sharing.  
R.I.P Merlin
Sorry for your loss.He is now doing magic in another place...
Thanks. I'm just glad he isn't suffering. I am also glad that my daughters are with their grandparents for the summer and they didn't have to go through it. They would have been more heartbroken then I am and watching them cry would have made it alot worse.
Hi. my cat gecko is 4 months old and got attacked by my 2 year old lab yesterday morning. they have been best pals since they met, god knows what came over them yesterday. anyhow, the cat got lifted by his neck and flung about a bit, till i was able to prise him out. needless to say, the dog bit down on his neck badly for about 3-4 minutes.
though there were no external injuries, geckos pupils were dilated, his eyes and mouth left open. he is not responding to anything. his vitals are perfect, an x-ray shows no skeletal injuries, but he is just not responding! he is unable to hold his head, but moves the tails and limbs slightly now and then. his one arm has stiffened and gotten immovable.
since last night there has been the minutest of changes that his pupils contract very very slightly.
the vet recommends putting him down if by tomm there is no change. i'm at a loss. i hope it doesnt come to that. i really really want him to live.
I am so sorry to read about your dear little kitty. I hope there are some improvements today...otherwise you will need to make a very hard decision, honey its hard but do whats best for kitty, you have given him a chance and I hope he can pull through this but all head injuries are very hard to predict......
Bless you both, keep us updated...sending some prayers for little Gecko♥
Hi, I just wanted to send an encouraging story to anyone who has a cat with brain damage. My baby Cash is 3 yrs old now. I got him when he was still under a year old. I was working in a veterinary office and a good samaritan brought him in; they'd found him in the middle of the road, unconscious. We provided him with supportive care, as they couldn't afford extensive care for him. He was a fighter from the start. The front of his head was massively swollen, but after treatment for a week, he was able to go home with his saviors. Cash was very alert and affectionate, but could only walk in circles, We weren't sure how much he was able to see.
The wonderful family that saved him couldn't keep him, and I had fallen in love with him - so he came home with me. We took him to a neurologist and he was diagnosed as left-side hemi-inattention. This means that he doesnt process info from his left side - sight, smell, hearing. He also had a broken hip fixed.
  Today Cash does whatever he wants! He walks, runs, plays, jumps. He sometimes "forgets" about his front left leg, but that doesn't seem to bother him. He has no facial expressions and doesn't seem to know "kitty rules" about interacting with other cats. My wonderful brood seems to know this because they cut him a lot of slack. His progress was slow but steady - a year and a half after his accident he purred for the first time!
  Cash is very stubborn and determined. He gets SO mad at me if I try and help him do anything - he can do it HIMSELF! LOL I love him dearly and am so glad that we took him. The big thing is time and patience. I never tried to restrict what he could do, so he never knew he couldn't do whatever he wanted.
  These guys can improve. Just give them time and love!
hi and welcome, thank you so much for posting this encouraging news. What a wonderful story of love and determination...for both you and Crash(appropriate name btw)....this is exactly what others in similar circumstances need to read, there is always hope with enough patience and care....he sounds like a special little guy!
We'd love to see some photos or video of Crash....keep us updated please!!!
♥Opus
Hi Wendy!  What a wonderful  and encouraging story!!  Thank you so much for sharing so others may have hope!
I'm so glad to read all of these stories!  We reused an orphan kitten 4 days ago and have been bottle feeding it.  Last night our peekaboo jumped in it's box, bit it's face and shook him.  This happened in a matter of seconds.  The bite at the edge of it's mouth went clear through into it's mouth.  I immediately called the vet on call and was told that there was not much that could be done to a wound in that location but to continue antibiotics it was already on for a sneeze.  During the night I noticed it's front legs are limp, it can only use it's back legs.  I took it to the vet first thing this morning and knew to ask about mannitol because of the posts.  Unfortunately, they could not get an iv started, but were able to give it injectible steroids to help if the swelling is around the spinal cord.  Can't stand waiting for more news
My kitten Penelope was hit by our sliding glass door and got a brain injury its very sad. she walks in circles and one paw folds over and she hasnt use the littler tray in 2 day i feed her throw a syringe as well 3 time a day. i dont feel it is every much she is about 9 to 10 week of age and i do the same with water but she wont eat  or drink from a dish but i have medical kitten food. How many times should i be feeding and giving her water? please help me she is doing so much better  im going to take her to the vet tomorrow.
I am so sorry abt your little kitty....give her time she should improve as many cats with a brain injury have. she just needs alot of love/care and patience for awhile.
tell me how much are you feeding her at one time? and what are you giving her?
a small kitten her age needs to be fed much more than 3x's a day IMO. even my fully grown cats eat such a small amount at one time that they require feeding about 5x's per day. so for a little one I'd be doing at least that often, preferably even more.
as for water...you had best ask your Vet for that amount based on the weight of your kitty.
I will send you a site with a video to follow on how to give food properly....I can't find the one I'm looking for of food administration, this one is how to administer liquid medications and you need to follow the same proceedure anyway....just go slow so kitty doesn't choke or inhale anything...watch the whole video ok.
best of luck, post again if we can help...

copy and paste the following link

http://www.partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/Cat-Liquid-Medications/Entire-Video
my 7 year old son fell on out 12 week old kitten cody yesterday, he started having seizures and haveing a hard time breathing. I took him to the vet she said he had a brain injury. he wouldnt move or anything, they gave  him mannitol we took him home after a few hours he slept all day, when I got home from work he walked very wobbly up to me and rubbed his head on my leg. he also walks on circles and hangs his head to the left. he then got back in bed and is just laying there. I hope he is ok, my son weighs 90lbs and to fall on the kitten who weighs about 3.
Can u please tell me how long your cat took to heal from the brain trauma?
My kitten is about 4 weeks old , and One of my older cats had knocked down a mirror and it landed right on his spine/head. He was in shock for a good few hours and wouldn't open his eyes, when he did open his eyes they were rolled back. I thought I lost him. A acouple hours later after he had a good rest he starting to move around a little. His head was stuck to the left like you say, and he would only go in circles. What I did was, while he was sleeping I would tilt his neck the other way , and gently rub it. A couple hours after that he straightened his neck! and now he can walk straight agian! He isn't very good at walking, which is to be expected. I'm not sure if he can see or hear anything, but he does also respond to touch, and loves being held close because it makes him purr. Also this only happened a little over 2 days ago.
PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND STRAIGHTEN kitty's neck.....its not a physical problem he is having..its a brain injury and went one side of the brain is injured he doesn't know how to hold his head straight..or walk straight, just like a human having a stroke....if you had taken him in for treatment the Vet would have prescribed a medication to help take the swelling off his brain..

usually this will improve over time as long as he is still eating/nursing and able to evacuate his bowels and bladder ok....

the sight and hearing USUALLY improve as well, depends on if the damage is temporary due to swelling or if there is permanent brain damage, only time will tell.

wishing you and baby kitty the very best....please don't manipulate his neck ever, this could cause permanent paralysis...
Just wanted to share my story since this board has given me the hope to have my precious ella with us. Anyways, I was putting the soft nails on my 14 week old kitten, with roughly 2 nails left to go without incident the ella bit me and would not let go. Upon hearing me howl in pain my 2 year old german shepherd came to my rescue ripping ella from my hand and flinging her aside in one move.  Ella just collapsed into the ground and started bleeding from her ear, nose and mouth.  She would not respond to anything and shortly pooped herself. I cleaned her off in the sink and all she did was open one eye at me.  Since i live out in the country i jumped on google and started trying to find the closest 24/7 vet as it was 9 pm on a saturday night.  Long story short, after an hour long drive of stoplights and checking her breathing we made it to the vet.  After a full medical workup of xrays and such they diagnosed her with several broken ribs, a broken collar bone and a fractured skull with severe brain swelling.  The vet told me that i should consider her quality of life and should put her to sleep. I asked if they could do 12 hours of medicine (mannital) since i read this forum before going to the vet and heard of the wonder stories it produced.  They said they would try it but were not hopeful as this was the most serious head trauma they had seen in a cat. After 72 hours in the Pet ER and several phone calls from the vet saying that she stood no hope i brought her home.  That was a week ago. Now she is standing on her own, abet not well. and also able to walk in tight circles.  She still falls over every time she shakes her head and is having accidents around the house.  But in terms of improvement, she went from no chance of living to eating on her own and excreting wastes on her own.  I hope she makes a full recovery and would love to hear whats happened in other peoples situations about how long before your cat could walk in a straight line again or how soon did the cat start going to the bathroom herself vs in a litter box.Im assuming that since it takes her about 45 mins to move 8 inches by method of tight circles she just cant make it to the litter yet? Also i poured her litter onto a pee pad as to make it easier for her to access.  Any suggestions would be great and dont give up early on cats, they do astound us
yes they certainly do astound us for sure....so sorry to read abt little Ella, what a terrible injury she has sustained. I am happy you found us and read about the need for mannitol and gave this little girl a fighting chance.

you are asking for outcomes in others situations...unfortunately these posts are older and many never return as permanent members of Medhelp nor update us after the initial post....so all I know is what we can both read. there are other posts that you can find if you search the archives..but you won't get a reply since these people are no longer here:(

all I can tell you that its a slow process...months to recover as far as they are going to, but she is showing really good signs in that she can already eat/eliminate and stand on her own...the walking in circles is normal, I would think everyday you should see a slight improvement in some way or other..even in the circles. I would suggest you keep her in a small cage or box for awhile..this gives them the feeling of protection, the disorientation she is feeling right now is quite scary to her. keep her in a small enclosed area big enough that she is able to keep trying to stand and move around...and big enough to fit her food/water(low non tip bowl) and pee pad. slowly as she improves you can  expand this area.

as her disorientation improves so should her ability to find and use a litter box..right now she also may not have any bowel control nor the normal sensations of needing to go. again a smaller space would help since it takes her so much effort and time to reach her pad or box right now.

keep her on a high protien canned food...with real meat as the first ingredient on the label NOT meat by products. she will need the best nourishment for muscle strength. if she is on dry now, do the transition slowly so she doesn't have diarrhea.

I do wish little Ella all the very best, she has a real good fighting chance of recovering most if not all her normal self, but it will take time and lots of patience. you are doing an excellent job so far mommy:) keep posting with any questions that we maybe able to help with and also giving us updates. ♥