Cats Community
Kitten not using cat litter box.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Kitten not using cat litter box.

I have tried everything to get my new kitten to use my cat box. So only looking for expert advice here. I have placed multiple cat litter boxes (different sizes, with and without hoods), it different areas (hidden away in corner, away from food area) and tried every litter possible (clay, crushed pine, tidy-cat scoop-able, World's Best Cat Litter), and went so far as trying some Cat Attract Additive that I sprinkled into some "unscented" scoop-able litter, but my kitten will not use any of these methods and instead does her "business" in the same areas of my carpet. Oddly enough I placed some flat USPS shipping boxes to cover up the carpet areas, along with crunched up foil (to where the sound of the foil would run her off, but it does not work and she actually thinks the foil is a toy and plays with it), but she every once in awhile urinates on the flat cardboard boxes. I have not tried the Yesterday's News (recycled newspaper that are formed into pellets) cat litter yet, but I am just at my wits end on what do do or try next. If somebody has any "other" suggestions (then what I have already tried) then please let me know what I can do.
oh my goodness you have certainly persevered.
first of all where did you get the kitty from? was it feral and going outside?

If not than find out the brand of litter they were using, cats can have a real aversion to a change in litter smells and feel.

You will also need to remove the scent of his urine from 'everywhere' he's used. the only way to remove this from his sensitive nose is to use a product avail from a good pet shop....with the enzymes..a few names are Urine Erase, Petzyme, Yukki Ikki Poo(or similar).
before you do that I would try and dip a piece of cloth into a spot thats been urinated on and put this into his litter box....than put him in it too..several times a day, so he associates the smell of his pee with the box.

good luck to you, and keep us posted I sure hope something works...the newspaper pellets maybe a good place to start because they will absorb some of the urine scent from the cloth you add...:)
One thing you didn't mention in your post is whether or not there are other cats in your household. A newcomer may resist using a litter box that already smells of another cat's output. The kitten may also be avoiding parts of the home where the resident cat's odor is strong, for reasons of territory.

If your kitten is alone in the home, then it's a matter of getting the kitten to pee where you want. Since cats are attracted to where they have peed previously based on scent, shred up some of the soiled cardboard and dump that in a litter box, which you can then place near where the kitten has been peeing. If this works, then slowly move the litter box day by day to a more desirable location in your home.

Hope this idea helps. Good luck with your new kitten.
Actually, I think this one may be pretty simple.  Your cat is consistently returning to the same spot.  Basically, you have trained her to continue using those same spots on your carpet.  As Opus said, the first thing you need to do is remove her urine odor from that area.  Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean she can't.  All of the different litters and boxes and locations are all foreign and unfamiliar to her.  The spot on the carpet is what is familiar.  So I would suggest putting a little box in that familiar spot and leave it there with the same type of litter for a while.  Then as Narble suggested, once she starts using the box in that location, gradually move it, just a couple of feet at a time, until it is in the location you want it to be.  If she pees or poops near but outside of the little box, take some of the urine or poop and put it in the box.
I had perfectly trained cats who were exceptionally clean, the way cats are. Then we rented a temporarily while waiting for our own place to be ready. The cats found spots that they used instead of the litter box. We figured out the problem eventually. The people before us had had a young child who occasionally wet itself. The cats smelled the urine and used those spots. It was not possible, under the circumstances to get them to use the litter box.
The kitty was born in my apartment on 10/10/10. I had the mother cat (rescued feral) for 2 years, until I also rescued another feral black male (2 months old) in Dec. 2009 and then he got the other cat pregnant in Aug. 2010. I was able to adopt one of the kittens, but was unable to find a home for this one, because of her litter box issues.
I have NEVER ran into this problem before with any other cat in my life, but I think I did finally manage to make her start using the "unscented" cat litter and sprinkling that Cat Attract Additive on top of it, as I am now seeing her poo in there, but she is NOT covering it up (same thing her father use to do), so maybe it is hereditary.....hahaha.
But thank you for all the suggestions and I will do the soaking up the urine with a piece of cloth and adding it to the litter box and going to buy some of that Yesterday's News (recycled newspaper) pellets cat litter this coming weekend and see if she will use that better.
No, she is not the only cat in my household. Her and her sister were born in my apartment on 10/10/10. I was able to adopt out her sister, but ended up keeping her as it was difficult finding another person who would deal with this cat box issue. It does not bother me, but I never had this happen with any other cat I have ever had before.
So, inside my apartment are the kitten and her mother (almost 3), and I have a 6 year old Calico female and a 5 year old Siamese male and they all get along.
I am just at a loss of what to do. I did find some info online that it may be because the kitten may have a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection), but I just happened to have some meds from PetAlive that I gave to her. I am on disability so unable to afford to take her to the vet.
I am just trying to do what I can and make a good and loving home for all of my cats, but I am in no way one of the pet hoarders by any means. Please help if you have any more suggestions.
hi Howie.......please DON'T give any meds without a confirmed diagnosis of a UTI...this can cause more harm than good...besides it is very unlikely to be the cause with a kitten IMO...I would stear more towards a behavioral problems and I'm convinced the urine soaked cloth inside the litter box will solve your problems..also very important to rid the area she is using of the urine scent as instructed above.
good for you to be keeping this unadoptable kitten.....I hope these 2 recommendations will work for you....if not we will keep searching for answers...I don't think a Vet appointment is warranted at the moment....-)
Another possibility. Do you have a second cat? One of our kittens would not use the litter box. I realized it was because another cat was using it.
good point ally. howie has several cats.....howie, you need to have one litter box per cat plus a spare...so that would be at least 4 boxes (perhaps plus one more too)....and all in separate areas!!!!
many cats will refuse to use the same box as another cat.....so get yourself more boxes and try the other suggestions too...♥