Kitty Cough
Hi! I have a male cat who is about 7 years old. He is fixed, and weighs about 13 lbs. He was fine literally two days ago. Yesterday, however, he spend the entire day coughing. He spent yesterday (and is currently) laying by the heater. He is not coughing nearly as much today, I have only heard him once. He is eating, drinking, and playing like normal. He does seem to be breathing harder than normal, though it does not appear as if he is struggling or gasping for air. The other cats are fine, and not acting any different. His symptoms came on extremely fast. Any suggestions?
hi and welcome....it just sounds to me that perhaps he is trying to 'cough up' a hairball..have you seen him do this on occasion? these hairballs if not passed rectally get lodged in the stomach and they will vomit or cough one up...
You can buy 'hairball' remedies in most stores that contain a glycerin base and malt flavor. I would recommend giving kitty some of this to help him pass IF it is indeed a hairball.

otherwise it could be something else lodged in his throat? if so you will need to take him to a Vet asap.

Could also be cat flu called feline upper respiratory tract disease however this usually includes sneezing, eye and nose discharge, loss of appetite, fever and excessive salivation.

I hope this was of some help, post anytime please. I would suggest if the hairball remedy doesn't clear this up that he see a Vet.
This is actually a big help! I originally thought hairball, because he does sometimes have trouble with those. Plus, the sides of his stomach seem be quivering, as if he is heaving (dry heaving) but unable to produce anything. I will definitely try that. Thanks!
Make sure to get to vet if you have any doubts at all!! My 3 cats all got upper respiratory infections together and all i was told was unless their mucus was anything but clear they didn't need antibiotics so, not knowing any better, I left poor Bob coughing until he coughed up a huge gob of phlegm and he had pneumonia!! THEN they told me it's not normal for a cat to cough unless for hairballs, so if you have ANY doubts at all-don't delay. Happily we were able to save Bob but it was bad-he had cyanosis and eveything-about as close a call as you can have. He's happily eating his "cat grass' and playing this am. Best of luck to you!! (Wow-I'm tearing up at the memories-it was so upsetting-if I'd known I'd have brought him back to the vet days sooner and he wouldn't have suffered like that-if I can prevent this for another kitty...)
thanks for that reminder spirit....so glad Bob's ok now. yes whenever theres a doubt about anything please consult a Vet..asap.