Cats Community
Megacolon in cats

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Megacolon in cats

This isn't really a question but if my post can help even one cat/dog owner with this disease it will be worth it.  I have a cat with megacolan, Toonces, that's his name.  We had the surgery but it is back.  There is no other surgery available, the next step is to have him put down.  He has been in three times since his surgery a couple of years ago to be evacuated.  We switched vets a year or so ago because one of our cats died at the hands of our vet.  We just couldn't bring ourselves to return.  We questioned our vet's handling of his treatment.  Anyway ths could turn into a very long story but my focus here is to help pet owners with cats with megacolon.  We used a laxative that I cant remember the name of but it was a prescription that is for people and animals.  He had to have 3-5 ml shoved down his throat a couple of times a day, in addition I had to shoot a pill down his throat with a straw and he had to have fiber added to his food.  It was horrible and none of it worked very well.  Our new vet was young and fresh out of vet school and recommended Miralax.  I add about 1/4 tsp to some tuna, tuna juice or a couple tablespoons of wet food once a day.  It gives him some loose stinky stools but it is so simple and it works.  He also has some pretty bad gas.  Toonces is alive and doing pretty darn well for over a year now without being evacuated even once.  We may not have even had to have the surgery had we known about this.  We had the surgery because we were putting him through hell every day.  I think it was called laxatone or something like that and the pill was over the counter but I don't remember the name of it either.   If you have a cat or dog with this disease talk to your vet.  I don't know how it works on a dog but if your vet says no ask another vet.  I don't know what dose you would give a dog but I'm sure it would be fine for them if it's ok for a cat.  I just don't know for sure about giving it to a dog.  It has been a life saver, literally.  If I miss giving it to him even once his stool will begin to harden and they are huge.  I can't imagine passing a stool as big as he has had to so don't miss a dose.  You might be able to adjust it to a smaller amount so that it is not so runny.  I really hope if you are considering surgery or giving your cat a bunch of other stuff...try this, even if you have to try it against your vets wishes.  Just make sure it doesn't conflict with any other medications.  If you have to, call my vet and tell them I recommended you call them.  Her name is Dr. Martin at Adobe Veterinary in Tucson Arizona.  Please let me know if this has helped even one person.  Thank you for taking the time to read this... you won't be sorry, I'm sure of it..
Our 11yr old cat has always been on dry cat food & was diagnosed with mega colon a month ago. Our vet immediately put her on Polyethylene Glycol - I was told to go to Walmart - laxative section - and buy either Restorlax or Lax A Day and give her a 1/4 tsp mixed in with 1 TBLS canned cat food and continue her regular dry food.

The Vet explained that as cats get older, as humans, their digestive system changes and they need additives to help get their systems moving.  Our cat again has her morning burst of energy and tears around the house.

Our vet also said that a sign of mega colon/bladder infection is that your cat begins to lick the hair off their belly, then the back of their back legs and then their back.  The mega colon often causes a bladder infection because their colon is so full that they can not empty their bladder.
restorlax is the Canadian equiv. of miralax...
both have PEG as the ingredient.....and this isn't good for long term use.

also can I add the BEST thing you can do for kitty carolyn is to STOP the dry food totally, canned food has 78% moisture where dry only has 10-12%. and lack of moisture is one of the leading causes of constipation/bladder crystals for starters...

also add a teaspoon of canned pumpkin(pure pumpkin NOT the pie filling)  to the food, its an excellent source of soluble fiber. 10mg of powdered Vit C is also a good laxative.

best of luck ♥
Hi, thanks for sharing the info about Miralax!!  My vet wants me to try this on my cat that's dealing w/ occasional constipation.  I've been a bit hesitant, so your post has really boosted my confidence and I will probably go out and get some.  

I'm so sorry that the surgery didn't work for your cat, but very happy that you found a great product that works.  I hope you have many many more happy, healthy years w/ your kitty!!

ZQ
I don't know about the issue with long term use of miralax but zodiacqueen especially for ocassional constipation, I think you will be hardpressed to find anything as good.  My cat has been on it daily 1/4 tsp, for a couple of years now, so far, no problems unless he doesn't get it.  The alternative for him is death.  He is a bit gassy and lays on his back to help with this but all I know is my Toonces would not be alive today if it weren't for mirilax.  I have given him a total of three extra years of life so far.  If the Miralax stops working then I will cross that bridge when I get there but he is happy, loving and I can't be more pleased with my vets recommendation to use it. If you want to follow me I will post ocassionally about how Toonces is doing.  He is seven years old now and was 3 when he was first diagnosed so were doing ok.  I have seven cats so if anyone has questions about anything I think I have seen it all.  I'm not a vet but I have been through a lot with my babies.  Goodluck Carolyn and Zodiacqueen and anyone else who has any problems with constipation in your cat.
well thats great if you've found something that works for Toonces problems, if its working and there are no problems than don't upset the cart.....have you also tried the canned pumpkin added to his can food?...works wonders with one of mine(not the other).
7 cats OMG lady you have a houseful and a wealth of knowledge that we'd appreciate you sharing....we are all cat lovers here who try our best for these little critters and anytime you can jump in and offer someone some suggestions we'd appreciate the input.....plus keep us updated on Toonce too.....welcome by all means ♥Opus
Opus88
I tried everything for Toonces, yes pumpkin included....fiber in cats with megacolon is tricky, it can sometimes absorb the water thus leading to even more constipation. Wet food over dry food is better but then you have to try and brush their teeth or give a few greenies (if you can afford it) to help with the teeth. Also try and brush your cats, even if you think they have short hair and don't need it, it's not true, if you don't brush your cats they can develop hairballs that cannot be passed.  In cats with megacolon or chronic constipation the last thing you need is something else to block your cat.  Like you all know I have 7 cats and I manage to brush them all, even if its a little bit every few days.  In older cats their joints ache like ours and they have a harder time cleaning themselves, give them a little help, I use wipes that are unscented, alcohol free and are fine to use on a baby's face, nevermind spending a bunch of money on petwipes.  If you have a cat that doesn't like being brushed, try and wipe their furr, that will get some of the hair.  If that doesn't work and they like being petted, dampin your hands and brush with your hands, you'll be surprised how much hair you get.  Catnip flavored petromalt can help hair pass easier too.  Anyway, thats all for now.  Hope this helps.
just a comment...about the dry food, its NO better for the teeth than wet food is(that an old myth).... and wet food far outweighs the dry with all sorts of health advantages.

go to www.catinfo.org and follow the links on the right hand side bar..particularly about commercial food and brands also all the advantages over dry food.

I know what you mean about mega colon and fiber being a tricky situation. I do think just a change from dry to wet will help alot...I have one with constipation problems too.

good luck to Toonces....and thanks for all the tips on brushing, its very important for all our kitties no matter the length of the hair.♥
I have a 17 year old male cat. He has bad constipation, I think It might be mega colon. I brought him to the vet because he has not been passing stool. and the few times when he did, it's only a small amount. He only eats a very small amount of food, and little water lately.
The vet gave him a enema, but only a small about came out (but a lot more than he did couple of days earlier) The vet said to give him (stool softner) colace 100mg . It took him over a day to pass stool.and it was only alittle.
The vet gave him a renal exam, because it felt a lot less impacted with stool , said small  stool was spaced apart. He mentioned it might be mega colon, and advised me to get a x-ray done.He gave my cat, Java, iv to hydrate him, and a shot to promote him to eat and drink more.
Do you think Miralax will work?
Also, their is a web site AllergicPet.com that sells a anti constipation, and customer testimonials about it, have you heard about this site/product?
sue and java
I have cat who had megacolon. She was a stray that pregnant and showed up outside my apt. I began to feed her and had her fixed after she had the kittens. I only saw her at nite for quite a while but I noticed once or twice she strained when she had to deficate. I didn't think much of it at the time. Well after her surgry I brought her in for recovery and kept her. I took her in six wks later because I saw she was swolen at her anas. It looked terribly painful. Sure enough she was severly impacted. The vet imediatly began to get the fecises out. She was put out for it, I know that sounds rather bad. However she was horribly impacted and the vet wanted to act imediatly and the cat did very well. I now give her one can every day of w/d by prescripition diet ( its more like a half a can a day she doesn't like the food much i am recently mixing it with tuna and she eats every bit of it now ) and within four days her stool became more regular. Its a fiber food she is able to pass stool better. After that first time of clearing her out she has been a changed cat. She plays and runs with the kittens. I still have to take her in once a month to clear her out, which has only been the last 3 mos (i've had her inside 4 mos). Everytime there is less and less stool to take out. It has been a bit of a process but she since I put her on this diet she has been happier and has continued to get better. Very possible she will only have to be cleared out every couple mos as long as she continues to progress the same way. My vet never recommended any surgry or any other food or meds. She told me surgry would not help good enough. I've had cats all my life and I've never came across this before if anyone has any tips or advice please let me know. Hopefully this diet of food continues to work.
If your cat has megacolon have your vet get you w/d by prescription diet. It has worked very well for my cat. She is passing on a rather regular basis now she still every once in a while has a little come out throughout the day but by the next morning has passed a normal stool. My cat did eat regularly and very well and did drink plenty of water before (and continues to do so) she was diagnosed with this problem. If your cat is not eating well or drinking I would get a second opinion of what is going on with him.If he is not eating enough would there be much of a stool is my thought. I hope he gets better and you find out wants going.
susanp1959, is your Toonces on Cisapride also?  Two months ago I saw your post and I followed your advice, and switched to Dr Martin, and she prescribed Miralax and Cisapride for my 5 y.o. cat Albert. So far Albert is doing good.  Albert has been diagnosed with Megacolon; enemas and Lactulose didn't help, and he had to be evacuated (a very expensive procedure) 2-3 times a year. Also I switched Albert to canned food with low fiber. Dr Martin strongly recommended it. She also advised that giving canned pumpkin to Megacolon cats can be harmul, as high fiber takes out moisture and bulks up the stool. Be sure the wet food contains 1% or 1.5% fiber only, has min 78% moisture and absolutely no wheat gluten.
I am gonna try this  Thank You so much....God Bless Toonces, my Siamese is Tinks with this horrible mega colon too, it breaks our hearts !
I just called my Vet and asked why Tinks was not on Cisapride & Now He ordered it and also told me today Miralax is also good to use, Thank Heaven for all your Good People WITH GREAT ADVICE !!!! I had a choice of flavors ( Chicken)  Tinks Favorite, fingers crossed for all of Us !
My 2 1/2 yr old Siamese cat Harlow has megacolon also. She's at North Shore Animal hospital in Bayside NY getting deostipated right now after having that done just a few day less of a month ago.  It's her 4th time. I see a surgery coming in her near future because all these lax meds don't seem to really be working. I know it's a serious surgery. Not sure what to do. I went to the Bobst Animal Medical Center in Manhattan last month to see a soft tissue specialist in case she needed the surgery to have her colon removed. The Dr. said that is the very last option if all else fails with the laxative meds. Her new dosage starting after today will be .05 ml of Cisipride every 8 hrs, 3ml of Lactulose every 8 hrs, and 1/4 tsp Miralax  twice a day. I have a feeling next month she'll need to be deostipated again and will have to up her dosage of something. Any suggestions from anyone   who is or has gone through the same thing ? Thanks.   Renee
well Im sure wishing Harlow success with the new drug reqime. tell me are these ALL new to him? was he on nothing before?...
I will add that with the lactulose 3mls be very sure to also add 5-6mls water along  with it, I assume you are giving this via syringe?
you can also add a couple more things such as a small amount of PURE pumpkin(not the pie filling) to his food, be very sure he diet is CANNED food NOT kibble.
with my boy who has constipation problems..I add this to his food(1/4 teas apprx.)
another product thats been VERY successful for him is BENEFIBER don't confuse this with metamucil...metamucil is a soluable fiber and slows down the transit of feces....you want to use BENEFIBER an 'insoluable' fiber product with inulin, increases the transit time. I disolve a 1/2 teasp. in water than add it to his wet food, there is no taste or smell so kitty will eat it just fine.

http://benefiber.com/index.shtml

this has worked so well that I've been able to discontinue the lactulose he had been on for years.
but don't change what your doctor has recommended yet, use all the products you will soon know if Harlows bm's become too loose than cut back on perhaps the miralax first while continuing wiht the rest...it will take alot of trial and error to get the just right solution for him, this can all be managed with out the need for surgery!!!!

Just be very very sure you are feeding wet/canned food NEVER dry food for many reason but most especially for constipation/megacolon issues...!!!!
My male DSH cat, Nicko, was diagnosed with megacolon in 2007. He was prescribed Lactulose with only mild improvement. After a couple of years, the sugars in the Lactulose caused the "bad" bacteria in his intestines to flourish and take over. Nicko began the licking the hair off his belly, hind legs and forearms to try to ease the discomfort he felt in his skin. After three more clueless vets, we found one that understood this side effect of the Lactulose and he periodically treated Nicko with probiotics, but it would always come back because the vet kept him on Lactulose. Fed up and certain there was a better and more natural way to give Nicko his life and dignity back, I experimented with many of the ideas I found on-line and have found the perfect all natural solution for Nicko that completely has the megacolon and intestinal health managed.

First, I feed him a wet food with a good level of moisture in it – .75oz per meal. Right now, it's Blue Wilderness Salmon. To the wet food, breakfast and dinner, I add a heaping teaspoon of Fruitables pumpkin & Oatmeal SuperBlend and about a teaspoon of Barlean's Pet Essentials Flax Oil for Animals. In addition, I add 1/4 teaspoon of Nature's Way Primadophilus Children once a day. (I also feed him 1/3 cup of high-quality, grain free kibble a day.)

Nick hasn't had an "accident" since I began this regimen about 6 months ago. His stools are now normal sized for a cat (no longer Great Dane sized), they are a perfect consistency, and the frequency is normal. His fur has completely grown back on his belly and legs. He has even lost a pound or two, which is a very good thing. His stool is still on the stinkier side, but nothing like before. He has his confidence and dignity back.

If you're like me, and you'll go to the ends of the earth to give your pets a healthy happy life, this little bit of extra effort at feedings is worth it. The cost of these products is FAR less than what we used to spend on Vet visits. Because the Fruitables cans are large and would go bad in the fridge before it gets used, I spoon it into ice cube trays at the right serving size and freeze it. Then I just defrost a cube for a few seconds in the microwave for each meal.

I hope our experience helps others find a solution to helping their pet. I understand what a difficult condition this is for both pets and guardians.
My cat Ben has mega colon, he was on lacatose and cisapride, but was always going for and enema. I put him on miralax twice a day mixed with fancy feast and it has been a miracle!!!!!!!! Ben is off lacatose and cisapride and Thank God is doing great!!!!!!!!!!
Hi y'all we have just gone thru some issues with my kitty who is 15 yrs old. she has had hard stools for a few years, and now has CKD stage 1.5, some hyper-thyroid and HBP from the above.
She also is surviving SC-Cancer of the nose! She is a trooper.

We also had a great miracle with the Miralax and my vet has her on Hill's ID for digestive support. She seems to like it ok and is stable, finally, after 6 months of tests and trauma (on my part) As far as we know there is no mega-colon, but she has similar issues with bowel, likely age related.

A question I have is: are there any other brands that make low protein, digestive-friendly, foods for elderly cats? She is on canned only and I 'd like to treat her with a bit of variety in her diet. She was pretty happy with the ID for the last 2 months, but seems to be getting bored with it.

It makes me happy that your kitties are doing better- yay Miralax!
My 18 yrs old cay had opposite,she had big appetite and watery diarrhea four times day.i took her to vet twice,they gave her medicine for diarrhea,but didn't help much.she had hair missing on back of her legs..i try best help her,but she died five months later,i never knew what she died from.now I found better vet.i told him story he said,sounds like bad thyroid...
F Thank you for all the info on mega colon cats.my CAT MICKO HAS HADTHIS    FOR A YEAR NOW  . BEEN CLEANED OUTWICE AND HAS STOOLS AS HARD AS ROCK,TODAY IT HIT THE FLOOR AND SOUNDED LIKE A BIG ROCK.I FEEL SO BAD FOR HIM, I HAVE 2 OTHER CATS ALSO; HE IS A MAINE COON CAT SO BEAUTIFUL BUT WONT USE THE LITTER BOX SO HE LEAVES IT NEXT TOIT ORWETS ON THE CARPETS.WE HAD TO PICK UP THE DINING ROOM CARPET ANDDOING THE LIVING ROOM NEXT.MY FAMILY WANTS TO PUT HIMDOWN.I AM STILL NOT READY, HE IS ONLY 4 YEARS OLD,I WILLTRY GIVING HIM WET FOOD AND THE MEDS AS ORDERED,HOW CAN IGET HIM TO THELITTER BOX AGAIN,HE WAS LEFT HERE FROM A FAMILY MEMBER AND HAS ADJUSTED WELL TOTHEOTHER CATS.HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.SORRY FOR TYPING,EMILY
hi, your poor kitty is messing outside his litter box because he is trying to tell you how much he hurts...when in bowel or bladder pain a cat will associate this with using a litter box, usually when some relief is given they will go back to using their boxes...(as long as they are kept very clean and in a convenient location)

Yes you MUST start feeding canned food never dry food for a kitty that has constipation problems!!!!
also have a clean dish of water available at all times...they need alot of fresh water.

the benefiber I talked about above doesn't appear to be on the market right now. the main ingredient in this product is INULIN and you can order that product from a company called iherb. try this...it works as a insoluable fiber that speeds up the transit time in the bowel and therefore the stools don't become hard and difficult to pass....start with 1/8 teaspoon mixed in the wet food, if he needs more you can increase to  1/4 teaspoon.
here is the product to order.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Organic-Inulin-100-Pure-Powder-8-oz-227-g/1100

try that first, if it doesn't work than as a last resort try MIRALAX as others above have had good results with....but it is a laxative. I have used this at times when one of my kitties have become very constipated. again start low and only use 1/8 teaspoon ...if needed can increase to 1/4 teaspoon. mix it with a little water to disolve than give it to him using a syringe.

http://www.vetinfo.com/miralax-for-cats.html

http://www.vetinfo.com/vets/answers/can-miralax-be-used-safely-for-cat-with-megacolon

please don't give up on this poor kitty, he only needs some help with regular bowel movements, he is very uncomfortable right now and just needs some help....

good luck and let us know how he is doing....:)

Am trying miralax as this too is our last resort for our Dumplin. He has been evacuated twice and has been on laculose, zantac and metoclopramide for two years now. I pray it works as he is such a sweet cat and certainly does not deserve to have this condition. He is a rescue out of a dumpster (thus his name) and has had other issues but this has been his worst. So glad you posted this as I was desperate to try and find something as a last resort. Will let you know if it works. He has had his first dose today.
I have a 13 year old cat who has megacolon. I've tried everything to help alleviate his constipation over the years. Recently about 3 months ago I started giving him a bowl of chicken breast every day. I buy a bag of frozen precooked chunks and give him about 5 chunks a day. Since I started doing this he hasn't been constipated and pooing in the box 3 to 4 times a week. It's been a miracle for me so I thought I'd share this and maybe you can try this as chicken is great for them and it wouldn't hurt to try. I also want to mention he has been more active and playful since I've been giving him the chicken which I think is partly because he's not constipated anymore and also I think the chicken is good for them as they are not meant to eat cat food in nature. Hope this works for you.
I have just taken on a maine coon with mega colon, the rescue place gave me felix wet food and a husk powder, this has made him covered in runny poo, and quite distressed, so much so im finding it hard to bath him today. I've left him for today, and will try in the morning. I have ordered some w/d hills food and some miralax as have read this is good.....after reading some post on here I shall also try with chicken daily. its so upsetting to see him struggle.
good for you for trying with this fella....first of all do not ever use husk powder for mega colon, this will just add to the bulk it is a soluable fiber and  will worsen the problem, and thats the same with feeding the w/d diet...that is  fiber/bulk and that is the worst thing for mega colon. Was it actually a Vet that gave these instructions???? if so I'm really upsets me.

has he always been of Felix wet food? or what is his normal diet? its more than likely a rapid change in diet that caused the runny poo. feed him chicken for just a day or two to stabilize the diarrhea, do NOT try to use miralax until diarrhea has stabilized this is a laxative

Hey Opus! Hope all is well!!
Bali my little Manx is still doing pretty well, I mentioned she had some colon issues, it's not mega-colon but old lady colon! She also is taking small doses of thyroid and BP meds. Since her radiation of the nose, the SCC seems to be in remission and she is finally feeling better and eating regular again. We did try the ID + Miralax for her to get her system regulated after we realized the stools were hard and dry. She ate that real well for a few months and then turned up her nose. Since eating is a big part of her immune system and strength to fight the cancer, we decided to try some other foods that she would enjoy. At 16 that's a big part of our life.

She is doing pretty well now, I am not giving her the Miralax every day anymore and she is eating a combo of seafood kitty meals and raw venison, as you might imagine the raw venison is a huge hit! Just wondered what, if any, experience you have had with the raw diets in older cats. I am a bit leery of it but my vet seems to think it's ok in small amounts - we have to watch the kidney values. I know where the deer meat comes from and it's very clean and fresh. So far all her labs are are doing pretty darn well, slight elevation in BUN for the last year, but not bad. Anyway she seems happy and we are having fun together!
PS I do think the Miralax is good for the right times and seasons! Sure helped my sweetie get over the constipation which was caused by Thyroid and kidney....
hi jeri....so glad to hear Bali continues to do so well and in remission!!!! awesome news:)

I have never fed raw jeri, tried too but both my boys refused it....however it is very much a recommended diet by anyone treating their animals holistically...they swear by their success with it, especially when it comes to cancer and the need for high quality protein.
however when feeding raw,(or any homemade diet) you need to take into account all the supplements needed...unless you are doing a whole carcass with bones and all...which I know your not.

I make a COOKED home made diet for my Nemo but I add supps like calcium, taurine, vitamin E, D, B plus trace minerals. all of which are needed.

all that being said, as long as you are feeding a canned commercial food as at least 70% of his diet than adding some extra protein like venison sure isn't going to harm, in fact may even do alot of good!!! vension is an excellent choice. yes just watch his kidney values...

at 16 years old...he deserves to eat something he enjoys IMO...

best to you both, keep us posted:))
hello from Texas- Bali continues to do well- she had a little set back with plugged colon this week so back on the ID and miralax. probably going to be a trial and error type journey. she did get some hefty pro-biotics which we are adding to her diet right now and will give a little venison every now and then. at her age, it's hard to say what is at risk the most! all her Kidney and other markers are good right now so mainly trying to keep the constipation at bay. as long as we can do that- she is happy and affectionate- which is just the way i like it!

hope everybody has a good holiday- i am know i am grateful for the good vet care, the caring and all the support from everyone this year!
God bless you all and all your furry people too!!!
& btw her plug is right at the anus and close to the sphincter. don't know what that might tell you-but there you have it....
hi there jeri....glad to get news of you and Bali...glad she continues to be doing well, good for her!!!
other than the constipation issues of course, seem to plague so many poor kitties. the probiotics are a good addition.
Have you tried INULIN that I talked about above, its sure been a help to my Nemo..(and me too) his plugs are always near the sphincter as well due to his consticture.
nice to see you posting again:)