Cats Community
My Cat Has Trouble Walking

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

My Cat Has Trouble Walking

My 7 month old male neutered kitten had started having trouble walking...he couldn't seem to keep his balance on his back legs. I took him to an emergency clinic and they did a complete blood test, and the only result they were able to tell me was that he was slightly anemic. They also ruled out diabetes.

I brought him to my regular vet the following day. He ruled out feline HIV and leukemia. He also found that Olliver had "the most extreme case of worms" that he had ever seen, most likely he had had them from before birth. He did a series of deworming, both at the office, and gave me doses to give at home. The vet said he thought Olliver was unable to walk (and had lost control of his bowels) because he was so weak from the massive amounts of worms, and his strength would increase in time, and he would regain control of his bowels. Olliver is now worm free.

For the past two weeks, I have been feeding him every 4 hours (wet food mixed with water) and his appetite has increased dramatically. His walking has also improved a bit, but not completely. He still does not have control of his bowels. Because of this, I bathe him every day. Today, I noticed that his penis and testicles are black.

I cannot afford more tests, as the financial burden has already been more than I could afford. However, I certainly do not want Olliver to suffer. Can someone offer a possible diagnosis, and possible treatment options?? Thanks so much.

~Nicole
Hello and welcome to the forum.  This DOES sound unnerving!  Please give your vet a call with this new info.  This can't be right.  I realize your vet bill is off the charts by now and you're doing a great job caring for your boy, but you can't let him go on like this.  With no idea what could be wrong, he might be in great pain.  At least call, okay?
I'm not sure what you are asking.  From what you wrote, it sounds as though you received a diagnosis and treatment from your vet and since then your cat has been improving.
Nancy,

Thanks for responding. I stated that I noticed that his penis and testicles are black. It does not look good. Also, after two weeks, I thought he would have gained more of his strength back, and also have regained control of his bowels.

If this is how he will be, I can deal with that. But...the discoloration of his penis and testicles is very unnerving.
Pigmentation changes are not unusual, particularly at his age, so if the only change is color, I wouldn't be too concerned.  If however, there is swelling, irritation, or urinary problems then he does need to see the vet again.  It can take a long time, sometimes months, for a cat to recover from nerve damage.  He is still regaining muscular strength, but as long as his nerves are still damaged from the parasitic infestation he will have trouble walking and controlling his bowels.
Thanks again for the comments/ suggestions. Since he became even weaker, and more unsteady, I have given Olliver back to the lady who runs the rescue that I got him from. It broke my heart to do it, but I know it was the best chance Olliver had. She promised to keep me updated, and I will update here as I hear from her.
I am so sorry to hear you had to give Oliver up.  You really invested alot of money and time into him and he won your heart so I can imagine how sad you are to give him back.  It was the best thing you could do under the circumstances, though, since he wasn't getting better.  Again, so sorry!