My Kittens Eye Wont Get Better...Need Advice
Brooklyn is an 8 month old Tabby I adopted from the shelter. Ive had him since he was 2 months. He was healthy until I adopted a 10 month old Siamese (Ninja) who came with an ear infection. Brooklyn got sick a week after I brought Ninja home. His left eye is always "winking" and sometimes oozes. Ive taken him to the vet 2 times over this with 2 rounds of antibiotic drops (Gentocin and Erythromycin) anti-viral Lysine and an injection of an unknown antibiotic. The vet used dye contrast to see if his eye was scratched TWICE since he plays hard with Ninja. So here I am after all this, and Brooklyn's eye is still "winking" with discharge. I'm upset most because Brooklyn isn't getting better and hes now sneezing. I don't know what to do at this point. Do I take him back to the same vet who hasn't been able to fix him or should I get a second opinion? Has anyone experienced this and can give me any advice.
sorry for poor little Brooklyn's troubles, sounds like she has the calici or herpes virus...thus the antibiotics haven't had much of an effect. you are good to be using the Lysine as its the very best you can do to support the immune system to help her overcome this. however you do need a very good quality high strength Lysine to be the utmost effective. most of the brands the Vets sell us are low in quality and strength.
I will give you a name of a very good brand and tell you to use 500mg per day for at least a week, than lower to 250mg..(a powder mixed in the food)
if you can't find this locally you can order it on line from iherb, there shipping is only $4.

http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-L-Lysine-Amino-Acid-Powder-100-g/13608

also would be a very good idea to add stinging nettles, this acts like an antihistamine and will help with the sneezes. I will list the good brands that are safe for cats, if you can buy one of these brands locally at a good vitamin supply store(human) or order from iherb.

these two brands come in 250mg capsules, you will need to open the capsule and mix the contents with food. 1 capsule per day mixed in food.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Nettle-Root-Extract-Stinging-250-mg-90-Vcaps/707

or

http://www.iherb.com/Eclectic-Institute-Nettle-Root-250-mg-90-Veggie-Caps/2944

wash her eyes with warm eye compresses and wipe away any discharges by soaking gauze or a small washcloth in warm water.
like i said the very best you can do for her is support her immune system to strengthen her immunity to fight this off.
please keep us updated and post again if we can help....♥
Thank you so much for the information. The Lysine I used wasn't from the vet but rather from an herb store I ordered online. The brand name is Viralys and I was giving Brooklyn 500mg 2X a day powder form with food as that's what it says on the container. (To no avail) Maybe that brand isn't the right kind? I will try the brand you mentioned with the stinging nettles. I REALLY appreciate you helping me out. Brooklyn has been an absolute angel to me and its hard to see him like this. The vet talked about another anti viral that she could try if the lysine didn't work. Is there such a thing?

I will used the compress and flush his eye. He used to struggle when I tried to look at his eye or put the drops in but its been so long hes used to it now and just lets me...poor thing.

Thanks again :)
you're welcome, just hope we find a solution for her...
Lysine in an amino acid....as long as its pure lysine, should be fine, however 1000mg a day seems like lots.
If your Vet has another suggestion regarding an antiviral it would probably be worth trying too. but definately continue the Lysine.
All these virus's fall under the umbrella of Feline Upper Respiratory Disease commonly known as Cat Flu, a healthy cat with a healthy immune system can fight it off, however with a weak immunity they can develop a secondary upper respiratory infection (URI) and if untreated can progress and become fatal in a cat with a severely compromised immune system.
Keep your cats isolated so it doesn't transmit to the other, use all hand washing precautions...each time you handle Brooklyn. and after she's recovered wash all her bedding in very hot water..
don't flush the eyes....just wipe them, but with only a damp cloth...not a wet one, keeping eyes as dry as possible.

its so hard to see these poor little ones suffering....I sure wish you all lthe luck in the world hon....♥