Cats Community
My cat ( female) keeps peeing on our couch...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

My cat is about 3 years old and SHE keeps peeing on our couch...It is a leather couch and we thought she wouldnt pee on a smooth surface like that...but she does it...she pees between the seating pillows...I clean it everytime and I really dont know what else to do anymore...I am loosing my patience...since this has been going on for a while...always at nights when she is alone...IT STINKS!!!
We tried re-training her by putting her in the bathroom with her food where her toilet is,but she still pees on the couch...
Our dog might be the cause...bc. our cat doesnt like her...but we cant just get rid of the dog. And at nights the dog is out of the cats reach...so I REALLY dont know how to help myself...
Is it possible to make her an outside cat?
Make sure she doesnt have a UTI first. My cat i had yrs ago started peeing in the corners in the living room and he had a uti. I also had a cat i got as a outside stray and she started eventually peeing on the couch, beds etc. But once she peed on our counter on the bread i got rid of her! How long have you had the dog? Cats are very picky about change and they will mark territory over anything.
Unfortunately, a place a cat has peed once is likely to become a potty in her mind.  It's difficult to get out the smell to where her sensitive nose won't still detect it.

I am no expert on this--after 50+ years of having lotsa cats, I'm having a peeing problem for the first time, and not doing so great with it.  The girl who started it is a Bengal, and it turns out she is much more primitive in a number of ways than the oriental breeds (Siamese, Tonkinese, Burmese) I've always had.  She has been thoroughly checked for medical issues, no joy there.  We have given her and our boy cat a room of their own, possible only because most of the kids have moved out, but when she comes out to play all she wants is to make the rounds and mark everything she's marked before and maybe some other stuff.  She will be spayed in the next 2-3 weeks, and I'm hopeful but not optimistic of the result, the pattern being pretty well established.

As to normal cats:  I believe that the MOST IMPORTANT move is to make the litter box attractive (some nice drapes, maybe, and a picture on the wall?).  I invested in self-cleaning boxes, love the concept, but they need one or two more generations of development before the boxes are reliable and practical--and the cats HATE the special litter that has to be used.  So do I--it smells nasty.  The alternative is scooping constantly, which works very well for more disciplined people.

The boxes have covers, but we discovered some of the cats were uncomfortable in a cave with one entrance, especially after the dogs came poking in at them once or twice.  (I explained they can beat up the little schnauzers with one paw tied behind their backs, but they just gave me a disparaging look.  Cats are excellent at disparaging looks.)

Our main front on the problem is having her free in the whole house only when we can supervise her, putting her in the litter box when she comes into the living room and maybe again later, and stopping her as soon as she looks like she's thinking of marking.  She herself is pretty sneaky and very determined, but the method has worked great with the young wannabes who had started to copy her.

I'm hoping if you discover anything else that works, you'll share with me.  I have never given a pet over to rescue, and have been resisting doing it for a long time.  It's a special problem with her, because Bengal rescue organizations are generally glutted--wonder why.  But this isn't a great way for the all the rest of us (2 people, 3 dogs, 6 other cats) to live, either.  

i had a calico that did that. we could never get her potty trained.
one of the biggest things is that you have to get the smell out!!!! if you don't get rid of the smell then they go right back to it. i don't know how to clean leather tho. you might want to call a specialist with the cleaning part.
it's also good to just check to make sure it's only psychological, and not physical.
my old calico only started with it after she had a litter of kittens.
is yours fixed? that can help.
Be sure to use a product like "Nature's Miracle" to get the smell at (local pet store should have it).

Is your cat locked out of the bedroom at night? Kitty could be expressing angst over being separated from you in the evening.
I second the recommendation of Nature's Miracle.  It seems, at least to me, to work better than other products I have tried.
YES YES YES use natures miracle! I didnt think it would work when our youngest started peeing in our foyer and we sprayed it and she hasnt gone back there since. It works so good
I thank you all for so much response and it is awesome to see that I am not  alone with my problem!
I will try the Natures Mircale definately. For now I put some aluminum foil on every couch crack and she hasnt peed on it yet again...They dont like the sound of the aluminum foil and their claws...Pretty cool!
About the angst she could have of being away from us at nights...No...we dont let her inside...otherwise she would just hide in there and pee on our clothes...She is a very shy cat and is not very cuddly...she basically is happy if she can hide somewhere...lol.Only sometimes she needs her petting fix...:D She got better after she was spayed...
Well, you can try getting her a "cat house" to hide in, although I've found when getting cat's toys and objects they end up playing with the wrapping and ignoring the product. :)

I hope it works out!
Yeah I noticed that ,too...U buy them sth nice and they are absolutely not interested...or pee on it...lol Like a really cute cat  bed or on eof those scratching things etc etc etc...:P