Cats Community
My cat, has stopped eating and drinking

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

My cat, has stopped eating and drinking

About a week Ago, My Cat(about 5 years) Stopped Eating and drinking completely, She no longer uses her litter box and Just pees where she Is lying down, and doesn't move. She Had a bowel movement the other day, while I was giving her a Bath. Her feces was very solid, leading me to guess she was dehydrated, But she refuses to drink. When I put her in her Litter box to she if she will use the Restroom she started eating her Litter, she weighs 13 pounds. I took her to the Vet and He told me it was fleas, But she doesn't have fleas, And he told me if its not that, then im gonna have to get some blood work done. I can't afford it, I really wish I could, I hate to see my Cat suffering. Her gums are Pale. and the white part of her Coat has turned a kinda White/Yellowish color, shes normally white/blue/brown. Shes a Siamese/Domestic Short Hair.  When I took Her to the Vet, He put her on a IV to give her Fluids, and Than told me to Buy a Paste like food for her called "Nutri-Cal" And I did, She also refused to eat that, So I was forced to Dabble it on her nose so that she could lick it off(The Vet told me to do this in the Case that she refuses to eat it) I still can't get her to Drink any fluids.
So, if you can't afford getting blood work done, are you just going to let the cat die of dehydration and starvation??

I'm not a vet but that sounds like she has a SERIOUS illness and probably will die unless you get her medical help.
a cat not eating nor drinking for this length of time is going into organ failure due to what is known as fatty liver disease...cats especially are prone to this..if you want to save your kitty(not sure if theres still time) she needs to see a Vet NOW and will need IV therapy to rehydrate her and a feed tube to supply nutrients, she is in critical condition I am very sorry to say :(
Sandrawg don't just assume That kind of thing.. I'm doing everything in my power to help my cat as much as I can. I already took her to the Vet. Didn't you read what I posted at all? I said I'm Already Force feeding Her Nurti-cal.... And I Started to Force feed her Water, Which Is the most I can do until I get paid next month....I'm taking her to the Vet again tomorrow, Which is what my vet told me to do, To take her back after 3 days If i see no Improvement.
Hi there...please let us know how it goes this afternoon.  
i went thru this with my cat- he died unfortunately but he was 15.
it sounds like your kitty has fatty liver disease and treating him at home may be futile.. the yellow suggests too much bilirubin and a vet will need to treat that. i found that once the organs start to go down it's very hard to reverse.
i would take him in asap if you can- good luck!

Hello ZeroJelly,

I wouldn't wait 3 days to see if your kitty has improved before taking her
back to the vet. I think your last comment was I still can't get her to drink
any fluids. Your cat needs both water and food. Without water, her kidneys
could shut down and then you have organ failure. Your cat is quite sick.
You said she has pale gums. That is a not a good sign either.
Get you cat back to the vet asap. You said you can't afford a blood test for
your kitty. Borrow the money and get the blood test done. This will help you
know what's going on with your cat. All these things are serious and your
cat is peeing wherever she is lying because she is in distress. Please
get her back to the vet. Your cat needs medical help. A lot of vets have
a sort of a lay away plan where you pay the vet over time. Perhaps something like this can be arranged. Your poor little furbaby needs medical
attention and this includes a blood test. Our cat who used to have diabetes
had a number of blood tests. They're not that expensive. Get your cat
the medical care she needs. I know you love her. Show her and get her to
the vet. If she's not drinking , she has to get some fluids into her body and
my guess it she needs to be on an IV. I wish your you and your kitty well.
Eve ( mother of Sammy)
Thank you all for the Replies, I really wish I had the money to get her professional help, But the Hospital gave me an estimate of a bill of at least 1,000(100+ dollars just to see her, between 150-250+ dollars for blood test, and 200+ for overnight treatment)  dollars or more, and if i had the money to pay for it in a instant I would. It really breaks my heart to see my cat suffering so much. And the Hospital refuses to work with me. Its either 1,000 dollars up front or no treatment. But I have recently been Force feeding her Water(via open syringe) I have not noticed much improvement. But I have noticed that Her gums are starting to get their color back. But i'm still terrified for her. I've still been force feeding her Nurti-cal.
that makes me so angry that Veterinary care is so expensive and many clinics aren't willing to work out payment arrangements to help.....urrrg.

I know you love your kitty and you would do whatever possible to get her the care she needs, but I also know this is extremely hard sometimes...

You are in a large city...keep phoning other clinics and see if they are more cooperative.

how much fluid are you giving her with the dropper?

I don't know what else to suggest your kitty is very ill.....I'm real sorry to say she maybe even beyond Vet care right now, not eating for over a week...her organs are failing.
Maybe all you can do at this point is keep her warm and comfortable...I am so sorry, this is so sad:(
These past couple of days my female 5 yr old got all lovey with me.  Very odd for her.  Than she started to eat less and less.  Yesterday, she slept all day didn't eat anything or drink water. She was a bit warm on her under side. I have been awake all night.  Took her to Pet Smart where we have a Wellness Program, cost about $30 a month.  Good plan.  I just dropped her off for the Vet to check her out.  She isn't due for her bi annual check up.  But things happen. Nonetheless, she is usually very healthy, but she has PICA, yeah.  She eats dirt now and then.  No one knows why after all these years. I also am beside myself, as you are.  Souns like we are going thru the same thing-with no answers, YET? Will try to keep you posted, and MAYBE what I find out will help you.