My cat, has stopped eating and drinking
About a week Ago, My Cat(about 5 years) Stopped Eating and drinking completely, She no longer uses her litter box and Just pees where she Is lying down, and doesn't move. She Had a bowel movement the other day, while I was giving her a Bath. Her feces was very solid, leading me to guess she was dehydrated, But she refuses to drink. When I put her in her Litter box to she if she will use the Restroom she started eating her Litter, she weighs 13 pounds. I took her to the Vet and He told me it was fleas, But she doesn't have fleas, And he told me if its not that, then im gonna have to get some blood work done. I can't afford it, I really wish I could, I hate to see my Cat suffering. Her gums are Pale. and the white part of her Coat has turned a kinda White/Yellowish color, shes normally white/blue/brown. Shes a Siamese/Domestic Short Hair.  When I took Her to the Vet, He put her on a IV to give her Fluids, and Than told me to Buy a Paste like food for her called "Nutri-Cal" And I did, She also refused to eat that, So I was forced to Dabble it on her nose so that she could lick it off(The Vet told me to do this in the Case that she refuses to eat it) I still can't get her to Drink any fluids.
So, if you can't afford getting blood work done, are you just going to let the cat die of dehydration and starvation??

I'm not a vet but that sounds like she has a SERIOUS illness and probably will die unless you get her medical help.
a cat not eating nor drinking for this length of time is going into organ failure due to what is known as fatty liver disease...cats especially are prone to this..if you want to save your kitty(not sure if theres still time) she needs to see a Vet NOW and will need IV therapy to rehydrate her and a feed tube to supply nutrients, she is in critical condition I am very sorry to say :(
Sandrawg don't just assume That kind of thing.. I'm doing everything in my power to help my cat as much as I can. I already took her to the Vet. Didn't you read what I posted at all? I said I'm Already Force feeding Her Nurti-cal.... And I Started to Force feed her Water, Which Is the most I can do until I get paid next month....I'm taking her to the Vet again tomorrow, Which is what my vet told me to do, To take her back after 3 days If i see no Improvement.
Hi there...please let us know how it goes this afternoon.  
i went thru this with my cat- he died unfortunately but he was 15.
it sounds like your kitty has fatty liver disease and treating him at home may be futile.. the yellow suggests too much bilirubin and a vet will need to treat that. i found that once the organs start to go down it's very hard to reverse.
i would take him in asap if you can- good luck!

Hello ZeroJelly,

I wouldn't wait 3 days to see if your kitty has improved before taking her
back to the vet. I think your last comment was I still can't get her to drink
any fluids. Your cat needs both water and food. Without water, her kidneys
could shut down and then you have organ failure. Your cat is quite sick.
You said she has pale gums. That is a not a good sign either.
Get you cat back to the vet asap. You said you can't afford a blood test for
your kitty. Borrow the money and get the blood test done. This will help you
know what's going on with your cat. All these things are serious and your
cat is peeing wherever she is lying because she is in distress. Please
get her back to the vet. Your cat needs medical help. A lot of vets have
a sort of a lay away plan where you pay the vet over time. Perhaps something like this can be arranged. Your poor little furbaby needs medical
attention and this includes a blood test. Our cat who used to have diabetes
had a number of blood tests. They're not that expensive. Get your cat
the medical care she needs. I know you love her. Show her and get her to
the vet. If she's not drinking , she has to get some fluids into her body and
my guess it she needs to be on an IV. I wish your you and your kitty well.
Eve ( mother of Sammy)
Thank you all for the Replies, I really wish I had the money to get her professional help, But the Hospital gave me an estimate of a bill of at least 1,000(100+ dollars just to see her, between 150-250+ dollars for blood test, and 200+ for overnight treatment)  dollars or more, and if i had the money to pay for it in a instant I would. It really breaks my heart to see my cat suffering so much. And the Hospital refuses to work with me. Its either 1,000 dollars up front or no treatment. But I have recently been Force feeding her Water(via open syringe) I have not noticed much improvement. But I have noticed that Her gums are starting to get their color back. But i'm still terrified for her. I've still been force feeding her Nurti-cal.
that makes me so angry that Veterinary care is so expensive and many clinics aren't willing to work out payment arrangements to help.....urrrg.

I know you love your kitty and you would do whatever possible to get her the care she needs, but I also know this is extremely hard sometimes...

You are in a large city...keep phoning other clinics and see if they are more cooperative.

how much fluid are you giving her with the dropper?

I don't know what else to suggest your kitty is very ill.....I'm real sorry to say she maybe even beyond Vet care right now, not eating for over a week...her organs are failing.
Maybe all you can do at this point is keep her warm and comfortable...I am so sorry, this is so sad:(
These past couple of days my female 5 yr old got all lovey with me.  Very odd for her.  Than she started to eat less and less.  Yesterday, she slept all day didn't eat anything or drink water. She was a bit warm on her under side. I have been awake all night.  Took her to Pet Smart where we have a Wellness Program, cost about $30 a month.  Good plan.  I just dropped her off for the Vet to check her out.  She isn't due for her bi annual check up.  But things happen. Nonetheless, she is usually very healthy, but she has PICA, yeah.  She eats dirt now and then.  No one knows why after all these years. I also am beside myself, as you are.  Souns like we are going thru the same thing-with no answers, YET? Will try to keep you posted, and MAYBE what I find out will help you.
I recently brought a stray cat home that was only skin and bones, at first she ate aggressively, and ran around after a few days of eating and resting.  I've had her for about a month but she hasn't put on much weight, her head had just stopped being so boney so I was excited and thought she was doing better.  Two days ago, she stopped eating and drinking, and one side of her face swelled up and her eye is drooping on that side.  I'm so scared she is seriously ill and may die.  I want to take her to the vet but I can't afford it and taking her to the pound breaks my heart as I know they will probably put her down.  I don't know what to do.  I can't stop crying for her, she doesn't seem to be in any pain but I know she has to be hungry.  I force feed her water with a syringe but can get so little in I'm not sure if it's making any difference.  Sometimes I see drool on her mouth but I put her dish of food or water right next to her and all she does is sniff it.  I'm so scared.  Please help.
Oh Jada,

I fear your little girl is very sick. She must go to emergency animal clinic. Find one in your area, they will know what she needs (IV feeding tube for one), Cats cannot stop eating it causes Hepatic Lipidosis.

This clinics are really good because they know it is an emergency and will allow you to pay little at a time--and sometimes not even charge you.

Please make sure she gets seen by a vet TODAY--I fear she has some serious issues that need to be addressed, and we here cannot help you with that, only a vet can.

Please get back to us and let us know what the vet says.
If she has stopped eating she is in pain.Please do not let her suffer seek out an emergency clinic.

Prayers for both of you,
CML
You can't make someone have money that doesn't have it. I am in the same exact situation with a stray cat I find it unhelpful and outrageously redundant for people to repeat like robots take them to the vet, take them to the vet. Obviously if we could afford to do so we wouldn't be online trying to find help. Everyone talks about how much they love animals, that fact has yet to be revealed to me. Every cat I received was a stray that someone else abandoned or neglected. We are out in the country so they are many. I suppose I am expected to just go broke and poor neglect all my bills to pay all my money to clean up someone else's irresponsibility. I did not go and say Hey let me go find a pet to take care of, I'm rich and can afford it. No that is never how it happens. They usually find me at a time when extra money is scarce. It's hard to believe that this burden is ALMOST ALWAYS out in the hands of people who don't have the means to support these animals. It's probably because people with little means are the only ones who give a care enough to try to take care of them. Instead of ridiculing someone and making them feel worse how about offering some suggestions that actually are relevant. OBVIOUSLY going to a vet with zero money is impossible. OBVIOUSLY BORROWING MONEY is not an option. OBVIOUSLY getting care credit is impossible. And please tell me one veterinarian that actually offers payment plans or help in any way shape or form because I have yet to see that with my own eyes. It would seem to me that there should be a fund for animal rescuers who make all these sacrifices to help these abandoned animals and the people who abandon them should be jailed and fined and sued to pay for the care people like is have had to give to these poor helpless creatures. Like so many others I was not prepared to pay $1,000's on an animal that doesn't even belong to me. I will literally never take in a stray animal again... Not ridicule and judge that!
To get a cat eating again you will need to give the cat : Diazepam. For a 7 pound cat you have to give just 0.2 cc. First you must divide in half a 10 mgs pill of Diazepam. So you will be dissolving 5mgs of Diazepam in 2cc of water, and of this you will take only 0.2 cc in an insulin syringe- and that very small quantity is what is given to start up their appetite. This done only 2 times a day, and you must have their food nearby because some cats start eating soon after taking the dose, other cats may takeup to 30 minutes to start eating. All this is done best under orders of a vet. Vets usually weigh the cat to determine the proper dosage accordingly. But it is diazepam that is used to open a cat's appetite. Cats who haven't been eating will also need a gastric mucosal protector, such as Nexium in powder form. Nexium is dissolved in 10 cc of water, and from this 1cc is taken and given to the cat 30 minutes before it is fed, usually twice a day. Also to protect the cat from getting fatty liver- Meneparol, a hepatic multivitamin that acts to protect the liver is given. 1cc of liquid Meneparol is given once a day, in the mornings for 6 days. I very sincerely hope this helps all cat owners dealing with issues of cats not eating...force feeding water is a naccesity. I also would try giving them small quantities of yogurt which also protects the stomachs lining from ulcers. Ensure is also wonderful in small quantities when cats don't want to eat. It is always best to see a vet. And it is also just as great to have some idea about treatment options and medications- and the whys about the type of medication. It is as they say knowledge is power, but be sure to investigate the matter well, for it is also said by Shakespeare the a little learning is a dangerous thing. wishing only the best for you- Angels in disguise who take care of abandonedkitty cats, and your furry friends.
You have just given anyone desperate with diazipan a step by step guide of how to probably kill there cat! Well done! Stupid and irresponsible.........
Well you certainly chose a most appropriate name. Yes the world can be evil and so can people. Do you think I am  Stupid. You do not know me nor I you, so please dispense with the harsh words as if I were one of those EVIL people.

Of course I know not everyone has the money to see a Vet and that is why I am here to at least try to give some suggestions. Have you ever tried to seek out vets, teaching schools, and the use of Care Credit, along with various Humane Rescue organizations that have programs to help defray costs of Medical treatment?
You alone have made the decision that it is YOUR responsibility to save every Cat. Well Good Luck with that task , You have set yourself up for Failure and an Anger that will be taken out on everyone around you.

I have worked in Rescue for many years and dare say have experienced first hand the EVIL in this world.  I have left some  because I needed to take a break from that Evil. Perhaps it is time you take the same break--burn-out cause irrational and angry thinking.

Instead of attacking me or others perhaps you should get involved with TNVR--TRAP _NEUTER_VACCINATE_RETUN, because this is where the real solution begins. I have been trapping for years now and have saved thousands of lives just by having the ferals I have captured spayed and neutered. Think of all the kittens you have saved when you do this.
Many Rescues have special days where you can take animals and have them neutered for free. It will not save them all , but it is a beginning.

I am never going to answer a posters request for a diagnosis or medical plan with medications. That is NOT what I am qualified for, and dare say you would be the first person to berate me for dispensing medical advice without a degree.

So get over yourself and stop being so self-righteous and start reducing the population of ALL the cats you and you alone can save. Remember no one made you CAT CZAR--that was your choice.

This is MY OPINION ONLY in Response to your criticism of my post.
My views are just that.

Sincerely,
CML

I