My cat has a dime size open sore behind her ear
My cat has a dime size open sore behind her ear.  It has scabbed and she scratches it off along with all of the hair.  It feels round and raised and bleeds.  She is eating and behaving normally except for this.  I just spent over $500 a few months ago on an emergency c section for her as her kittens were dead inside her, but I cannot afford another vet bill as things are really tight.  What could this be and what should I do!
Best case scenario-it's just a plain old fashioned boo boo that doesn't get a chance to heal because she keeps scratching it.  Worst case scenario-skin cancer, especially if she's an outdoor cat.  Skin cancers, most often, affect the ears.

Let's not assume the worst, yet.  You could purchase an E-collar at the vets (not expensive), and KEEP her inside until it heals.  The collar will prevent her from scratching the ear and will let it heal up.  She needs to leave it the H alone, this collare will allow that to happen.

After about a week to 10 days, she should be healed up.  If it continues to bleed, despite this, then the area on her ear will have to be biopsied.
The above is good advice, I just want to add something:

I had a recent experience with the same thing, except it was on the back of both ears.  We tried several medications for the poor guy and nothing helped for long.  At one point I really thought he was going to lose his ears.

Then I gave him Yucca extract powder, which has natural anti-inflammatory properties, primarily and also provides some anti-biotic and analgesic effects.  After a short time, he stopped worrying his ears and they healed up.  He's pretty much all better now, he just has to grow the fur back.

You might want to try it.  You can get it online or at really good pet health food supply stores, the kind that carry human grade foods.  

It wouldn't hurt to put her on a good diet also.  By which I mean human grade, grain free, low sugars, etc.  By Natures Organic is great, canned and dry food.  You'd be amazed at the difference that it makes when a cat eats food that they can metabolize properly.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.
I fostered a 3 week-old kitten years ago with a similar symptom. The vet told me it was a warble(sp?) Some kind of parasite that burrows under the skin and then bursts out causing the sore. I just kept it clean and put antibiotic ointment on it and it eventually healed, but the hair never grew in that spot. He was okay after that.
Hello in your post about your cats ears and the sores did u add the yucca powder to the food or use it topically or both ?

Thank u

Dean
Sorry, that post was from 2009. Mr Savas is no longer with us. A good pet supply store that carries this product should be able to answer yr question